Apps for Tablet PC

Discussion in 'Software' started by lblb, Apr 4, 2013.

1. lblb

lblb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hi hunter99,

Well, your Bruins kicked some serious butt tonight!

Wow, what a great job on the hover icons! I just downloaded your modded version (I was away for a little while) and the changes that you made are great! Many very nice esthetic changes and a few functional ones. Really amazing work. I've already learned quite a bit about relative placement of controls just by looking at your code. And I saw that you corrected quite a few mistakes that I had written into the code. Thank you so much, I will very carefully read your log changes (and thanks for so carefully keeping track of your changes, this will be very useful).

I've just looked at it briefly and I really like how you replaced the clumsy radio boxes with simple buttons. Well done. And the hover icons look much better in your modded version, including the adjustable size (that was on my to-do list, so thanks for figuring it all out!)
    For your added Power plan: you may be interested in the latest app I shared here (see post #19 above). In this app, it dynamically updates in real time the list of power plans (instead of having a static list of power plans like here). That one was a lot of fun to figure out!

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
  2. lblb

Hey hunter99,

I haven't tested it but as Lexikos the developer puts it, the newest version of AutoHotkey is finally "DPI-aware". See here:

AutoHotkey v1.1.11 - Announcements - AutoHotkey Community

So supposedly the Gui elements should scale automatically with the DPI. This will be of terrific help if I ever get to updating the stuff here.

3. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Does that mean we would be able to use our existing AHK scripts on new higher-def screens, without having tiny buttons everywhere? That would be cool..... :)

4. lblb

Maybe, maybe not... I haven't tested yet! From the AHK release notes:

Maybe it will work for our toolbars (in fact it could be quite problematic now that I think about it...) Where I'm sure it will change is with more traditional GUI's. For example, if you open the Advanced Options of our toolbar on your new toy (you mentioned in your "pissed off" thread that you set the magnification to 150%), the Options UI will probably be quite a mess. With this new option in AHK, it should all adjust automatically.

5. hunter99

hunter99 To Old Now

Hi lblb,
    Thank you for the kind words and the heads up on the new auto hotkey version with the auto scale.
    I usually go into that website every week or so. Have not gone there in a couple
    of weeks so I'm glad you brought it to my attention. I saw your post and it Saturday afternoon and
    immediately downloaded it, but with the game that night I didn't look at it until Sunday a.m.
    Just a few minor problems now fixed. I replaced the file in my previous post #20 with a new modified one.
    With the new auto hotkey version the red lines that surround the selected window do not scale correctly.
    Instead of a frame it looks more like a crop tool. All of the lines do not stop at the corners of the window.
    But since we only see that for a short while until we drop the icon, at the moment it's no big deal.
    You could call it a feature, not a bug.
    The scaling works great up until you press the 150% button with Aero on. The red framed may show up
    anywhere on the screen, also the small red X at the top middle of the window can be anywhere.
    But if you use the "set custom size button" it seems to work just fine.
    I have set it to 165% with no problem. With AERO off all settings seem to work well.
    With Aero on and over 150% is where most problems occur. Looking at other forums, scaling at
    150% and up with Aero seems to cause problems. Some seem to think that is why they did a way with
    Aero in Windows 8.
    Things I plan to look at when I have a chance. I think I may have got the red X problem.
    Think it may be the fact that the close button executables were compiled with the old auto hotkey.
    So I pulled the script from them and made AHK files with the same names. Then in the HoverIcon script
    I changed the calls to the executables to the new AHK files. This seems to have fixed that, but not yet
    fully tested. Didn't bother to recompile them as this version of auto hotkey does not contain a new compiler.
    A new one is in beta stage but not yet released. My uploaded version still contains the executable references.
    In Aero the live image in the hover icon does not scale correctly, have a few ideas to fix that.
    In regards to Steve B's question about resizing, you are right on. I tried a few AHK files that did not scale
    properly and now they are perfect. One of them was called Menu Creator and at 110% it was not right, it is now.
    Okay now I have to get ready for the game. Will there be a game seven or not. Tonight will tell.
    All the best, George

Edit: red line scaling fixed

Last edited: Jun 25, 2013
  6. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

Hey lblb. I gave your TPC Tray Helper a try and I realized that the program has the tools need for a Windows 8 Touch Toggle. It would be the same concept you used to turn Bluetooth on and off. The hard part would still need to be done by the user, and finding the Touch hardware ID is unfortunately more difficult than finding the Bluetooth. (Though it's much easier using DevManView, where a click can enable/disable stuff.)

I know you're busy, but if you could find some time to whip up a quick system tray application just for this purpose, I (and others on this forum) would be falling at your feet in gratitude. Heck, if you need icons, I made a couple before I realized I had no idea how to implement multiple icons like that.

<--- desperately wants a TouchToggle for Win8 and can't abide having two shortcuts on her taskbar.

7. lblb

Hi Selofain,

thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

What system are you running? I have only tried Win 7 64 bit but Tablet PC Tray Helper is supposed to do exactly what you say when you run it on Win 8 (but again, I haven't been able to test). In the Options, on Win 7 you can use Touch options directly, but if you are running Win 8 (if I didn't screw up the code) it should ask you to find the Id number that you are referring to (see screenshot below). It uses Devcon which works exactly the same as DevManView. If anyone can confirm that this works on Win 8 once you've identified the correct Id number, then it would be very straightforward to make it a simple tray icon (without all the other stuff) to toggle touch.

Touch_Win_8.jpg

Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
  8. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

I'm not on Windows 8 at the moment (which explains why I didn't see that), but I will be in a couple days or so, hopefully. I can test it out then. I'm a bit surprised that no one else has tried this out yet.

Edit: Ok, tried it out and it definitely works. A Win8 Touch Toggle with visual feedback would be totally awesome.

Some feedback on the Bluetooth toggler. It doesn't work for me, because I have a letter and three numbers after PID, and letters aren't acceptable input.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  9. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

I hate double posting, but I suppose it's been long enough.

I recently got a TPT2 (for the sole purpose of SDCC), and interestingly, the touch portion of the Tray Helper doesn't work. I get this error:

tpc helper error.JPG

Luckily, devmanview works just fine, and I can live with it for the week I'll have this tablet pc. I'm not sure why the touch toggle would work on the T901 but not on the TPT2.

As a lark, I tried to launch Devcon directly and Windows told me that the app couldn't run. Perhaps it's the 32-bit environment?

Also, anything on that Win8 Touch Toggle?

10. lblb

Hello Selofain,

I think you are right and that it's probably not working on your 32 bit system because I included a 64 bit version of Devcon.

If you want to test, you can go here to download the 32 bit version:
    The DevCon command-line utility functions as an alternative to Device Manager

- in the "More Information" section, just click "Download the DevCon package now"
    - this downloads an executable from which you can extract both the 32 and 64bit versions of Devcon
    - once you've extracted them, go to the folder where you extracted them
    - the 32 bit version is in the folder i386
    - in the folder for TabletPC Tray Helper (C:\Program Files\Apps for Tablet PC\TabletPC Tray Helper 1_0\) replace the devcon.exe file with the 32 bit version you extracted

Does it now work? If yes, I will upload two different versions of TabletPC Tray Helper.

About the Touch Toggle app:
    I was waiting for someone to confirm that the Touch stuff of TabletPC Tray Helper works in Win 8 to start working on it. If you have time to test and can confirm that it works, then I can start working on it.

Thanks for all your testing and feedback, much appreciated.