Apps for Tablet PC

Discussion in 'Software' started by lblb, Apr 4, 2013.

1. ejoya

ejoya Pen Pal - Newbie

Sorry, I installed the old one. New version works

2. hunter99

hunter99 To Old Now

Hi lblb, just got back after a couple of months away. I see you and Steve B have been very busy, making life easier for the rest of us. Those pen-only toolbars are a great piece of coding. Where do you find the time?
    That Hover Icons will be much used. And the reason for this post, also to say thank you. My EP121 had been down for awhile, but finally fixed it Sunday. Hope it stays that way. Been running Hover Icons on my desktop, it works like a charm. Always have notepad running to paste snippets, so this is really useful. But (yes I too hate it when there is a but) when I loaded it on my EP121 the radio buttons were missing. Text was there but no buttons to check. After a little head scratching I remembered my display was set at 110%. So set it to 100% and there they were, but thats a little small for these old eyes. Looking at the script I came up with this. Its just some small changes to 25 lines and commenting out 20 lines in the Gui 20 section. Tested it at 100%, 110%, and 125% in both my desktop and EP121. Found that my desktop was already at 110% and was OK with the orig. but at 125% no radio buttons. So hopefully most will keep it below 125%. Feel free to do as you wish with it, I had a great time playing and learning with it.
    Thanks again.
    hunter99

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  3. lblb

lblb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Good to see you back hunter99! Hopefully your EP121 will be healthy for a while!

Thank you very much for the information, it will be very useful. I hadn't considered at all the possibility that the Windows magnification could affect how the Gui looks. It's certainly something I'll have to take care of. I may just use your modifications (that should be good for two magnification levels), or maybe I can set different values based on the magnification factor, which can be accessed easily by something like:
    Code:
    RegRead, DPI, HKEY_CURRENT_USER, Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics, AppliedDPI
    MsgBox, Current Display Size is: %DPI%
    Thanks again, I'll try to include some of these considerations in future versions.

By the way, you can access the CODE tags when you select "Go Advanced" at the bottom of the reply textbox.

Edit. I just realized that I didn't include the .ahk file in the zip file. So did you decompile the executable to get access to the code? If you prefer, I can upload the .ahk file as it is probably more understandable.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
  4. hunter99

hunter99 To Old Now

Hi lblb, the more I see of this the more I like it. Its really great on a desktop and a mouse.
    May not have explained it right but my first mod worked alright from 100% to +125%, depending
    if EP121 or desktop. After fooling with it for awhile I found that using x and y for control placement
    was some of the trouble, as they specified a absolute position. And adjusting the DPI screwed it up.
    A single font size was only good for a certain range, than the controls would appear all muckedup.
    Up to that point I thought 125% would be good enough, but the RegRead code you posted reminded
    me that I had fooled around in that area years ago. Hardest was to find where stored the native resolution.
    Where else but HKEY_USERS, .DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics.
    Here is a little code:
    MsgBox, Current Display Size is: %DPI_user% DPI
    MsgBox, Current font is: %factor% after being scaled
    Yes you could upload the ahk script; I decompiled the exe, but others might want a look.
    Lot of good stuff there. All the best.

EDIT CODE REMOVED

When using custom DPI settings in Win7 the Gui may not show radio and/or other controls.

All done, enjoy and thank lblb

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  5. alicepattinson

alicepattinson Scribbler - Standard Member

This is so helpful. Thank you so much for sharing :)

6. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Lblb,
    Any news on the little tray icon idea we had discussed, to quickly change power modes, and brightness with the pen the way you can do with the volume? These little tidbits, like moving the Taskbar around automatically, are great. I imagine you with bits of code littered everywhere, not remembering if you've finished this or done that.... :) !

Not to make work for you (LOL), but it occurred to me that having some sort of automatic Clear Type enabler for each orientation would be very welcome. This isn't automated in Windows, right? That's been my experience anyways. Perhaps it's time for me to learn AHK myself..... insanity!!!

7. lblb

alicepattinson:
    I'm glad some of these can be helpful. Stay tuned, there's more coming!

hunter99:
    Oh, that's great! Thank you so much, there is a lot of good info in your post. When I get back to updating the Hover Icons app, I'll make sure to carefully look into what you wrote.
    If you are interested, I just uploaded the source code for the Hover Icons app at the bottom of the first post. It will probably be quite different from your decompiled file as the AutoHotkey compiler eliminates quite a bit of stuff and formatting when it compiles.

Steve B:
    That tray icon thing is #3 on my list (which, you correctly pointed out, is quite ridiculously long and disordered!)
    #1 and 2 are the Scroller thing and a very useful toolbar that I've been using to ink more easily during PowerPoint slideshows. More soon!

I've tried to read a bit about it but I don't really get what that Clear Type is and how it's used or not normally used by Windows. Could you enlighten me? For now I haven't looked at all if AHK would be able to do anything with it, but since I've discovered how to get AHK to launch different commands depending on the screen orientation, I'm eager to apply it to something other than shuffling the taskbar around!

8. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Clear Type helps make type clearer-- LOL, sorry for being overly simple there-- by using a subpixel method of smoothing text. However, my understanding is that it only works in a single orientation. If, for example, I rotate my screen orientation in Win7 I find that the text is ever so slightly fuzzy and "not aligned" with itself. This is because Clear Type has not been set for that orientation. If I go to the Start Button and use the Search function to type in "Clear Type", up pops the option. Click on it and it will lead you through "calibrating" your new orientation. Works like a charm. However, it only lasts until you reorient your screen again. Urgh!

The only "option" screen that really matters is the first one, where there's a clear fuzzy versus clear option. After that, it's all fine tuning, but the truth is the "first" option on each of the next 2-3 pages they give you is always clear. It's more about preference.

There used to be a home made program out there on the web to do this automatic thing-- you basically started the program, set the Clear Type setup for each orientation, and the program then remembered it and automated the process for each orientation. Or atleast that's what it was supposed to do, but it never worked for me.

Does anyone else experience the fuzzy text? It's an obvious difference for me each time I orient the screen. There's a primary orientation, which I normally use and is quite sharp with its text, and then the other orientations are slightly fuzzy. Readable, but fuzzy.

9. lblb

UPDATE!

I’ve just added the new “TabletPC Tray Helper”. This is a little program that allows you to control several settings from a tray icon. Among others, you can change power plans, change the screen brightness, change the position of the Windows taskbar and, if you allow it, it can also toggle on/off Wifi and Bluetooth adapters as well as Touch input. Probably the most powerful option is that you can save up to four Power profiles. These Power profiles allow you to very quickly adjust in one click:
    - Power plan
    - screen brightness
    - Wifi on/off
    - Bluetooth on/off
    - Touch on/off​
    Other features include:
    - When unplugged, the tray icon shows the remaining battery life
    - You can decide if you want alerts when the computer is plugged in or unplugged, or when the battery life gets low.​

For more information and download, see the first post. As always, suggestions for improvements and bug reports are more than welcome!

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  10. hunter99

hunter99 To Old Now

Hi lblb I see you are still keeping busy. The decompiler I used worked perfectly all that was different were a few missing CR/LF's.
    The code was exact, but as you know the comments get deleted. Been playing around with your Hover Icons for a while,
    and every time I plan to post it I think of something else. Its worst than drugs. Anyway here is my rehash, just minor changes and a couple added features. The zip has the moded ahk, commented change log and notes. Got to get ready for the Bruins game.
    Thanks for posting the ahk, the comments are very helpful.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 25, 2013