Apps for Tablet PC

Discussion in 'Software' started by lblb, Apr 4, 2013.

1. tigner

tigner Pen Pal - Newbie

lblb,
    Thanks for the reply and registry idea. I really appreciate it. Unfortunately it looks like they've changed it up again. Attached is what the SP8/Win11 shows for that registry address and I don't see a TouchGate entry. Any ideas?
    Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. tcassidy

tcassidy Pen Pal - Newbie

I happen to have an older Dell 5285 I converted to Windows 11. TouchGate can be found at HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Wisp\Touch. It does currently have a value of 1. No idea if that is the same though.

Terry

Steve S likes this.
  3. tigner

tigner Pen Pal - Newbie

Yea, that's very different.

4. tcassidy

I set it to zero and it disables touch but not the pen. But that is after a restart.

Terry

Steve S likes this.
  5. lblb

lblb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@tigner

Follow the instructions here to create the Touchgate entry in the registry:
    https://winaero.com/enable-or-disable-touch-by-finger-in-windows-10/

Also, see my response to tcassidy below.

@tcassidy
    That's interesting. That's the old value that was used in Windows 7, then eventually disappeared from Windows 8 and on. I wonder if it's it's back in Windows 11? In any case, it's interesting to know that it works again! Thanks for posting this info.

Steve S likes this.
  6. tcassidy

Yes, that works too. But still requires a sign out/ in or restart.

Terry

Steve S likes this.
  7. tcassidy

I also have the same model Dell on Win 10. Unfortunately I see the same layout with TouchGate at HKLM only. So I guess this is model dependent rather that o/s.

Terry

Steve S likes this.
  8. tigner

tigner Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks. I'll take a look tomorrow. I'd definitely have to create a new TouchGate entry per the instructions in the link provided (thank you!) since TouchGate does not now exist

Even if it works, if the toggling process requires signing in and out to change the touch status, that won't work for my workflow.

With all of that said - the more I do pen work with both the new SP8 and the new Laptop Studio - the more I appreciate how improved are both the touch and the pen behaviors. More precise and independent of each other. It is getting to the point of not needing to toggle off touch nearly as much as with previous generations. In those devices, I'd usually toggle the touch off and on somewhat frequently as I am in a session of writing or drawing. So having to sign out to toggle certainly wouldn't be worth it - especially on these new models.

9. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...the more I do pen work with both the new SP8 and the new Laptop Studio - the more I appreciate how improved are both the touch and the pen behaviors...>>

My experience has been that each new generation of hardware, in this case pen and screen hardware, requires some minor adjustments in your usage to obtain optimum results. Using a Pro 8 with a Pro 5 mindset (so to speak) won't always give you all the advantages that the Pro 8 offers.

But it sounds like you're on the right track. Take some time to think about your workflow a bit and see if there are new ways that you can leverage the Pro 8's capabilities to your advantage.

Good luck.

10. tigner

tigner Pen Pal - Newbie

Ok I was able to use the instructions provided (thank you) and create a new TouchGate registry entry on the SP8 Windows 11 instance. And, I can confirm that it indeed worked!

But, as of now, the work sequence for a touch toggle would involve 3 steps each for one toggle. And then repeat the inverse to reverse the toggle:
    1. Open Registry Editor, find the correct entry, and change the value
    2. Sign out of your current Windows Session
    3. Sign back into a new Windows Session, and continue work.
    This is really good information, but not workable in my work flow (at this point). Is there any way to automate this and avoid the sign out / sign in sequence?

Uploaded is a screen clip of my own Registry Editor session with TouchGate added.

Thanks!

Attached Files: