Apps for Tablet PC

Discussion in 'Software' started by lblb, Apr 4, 2013.

1. tigner

tigner Pen Pal - Newbie

lblb
    I have been consistently using TTT since about 2014 on surface pro and several other Windows tablets. It has been a huge benefit along the way - so thank you for innovating such a useful tool and sharing it!!

Question: I've just upgraded to a Surface Pro 8 / Windows 11 and it is the first Windows tablet I can't make work with TTT. With the new touch tech it seems they have changed the HID touch device. I've tested several of them including the new one called "Surface Touch Screen Device" and no luck.

Any thoughts on SP8 / W11 combo for TTT?

Thanks much!

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  2. lblb

lblb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@tigner

I'm glad you've found this little script to be useful.

When you write that you have tested several of them with no luck, what do you mean? Did you try to use them directly in Tray Touch Toggle, or did you try to disable them manually in Device Manager?

If you haven't tried yet, I would first try to do this manually to identify the proper HID device. Whatever HID device you see in Device Manager, disable it manually in Device Manager, and see if that turns off the touch capability (sorry, I have access to neither the SP8 or Windows 11). Does any of them work to disable touch this way?

3. tigner

tigner Pen Pal - Newbie

=====
    Thanks so much for your reply. This was several weeks ago and I believe I primarily tried through TTT but perhaps for 1 or 2 devices I tried to just disable them in device manager to see if it worked. I'm going to go back and retry again it and start just in device manager and see if I can ID / confirm that I can disable touch there. IF so then I'll try it through TTT. I "think" I did this before but I'm going to reconfirm. I'll document the process and I'll let you know what I find. Thanks again!

4. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Wow. I can't believe I'd never noticed this thread before.

That TTT program looks useful if it could work for Windows 10.

I was just looking for something along those lines the other day. I've been needing to use a physical ruler recently while drawing, and Samsung's touch feature makes that a spotty exercise. I was surprised to discover that touch couldn't be toggled from the keyboard.

So I've just been disabling touch from the device manager. It works, but it's ugly and inconvenient. If there's a Windows 10 compatible on-screen button which can cut out a few steps, then that would be cool. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.

Cheers!

5. tigner

tigner Pen Pal - Newbie

lblb: TTT on Surface Pro 8
    Results of my further testing of using TTT on the Surface Pro 8:
    As you suggest, I started in Device Manager by disabling HID drivers that looked suspiciously as though they'd be what is now used by MS, since they no longer use the same device naming as in earlier SP tablets (such as "HID-Compliant Touch Screen"). The only device names in the HID section that seemed like candidates were: Surface Touch Communications, Surface Touch Screen Device, Surface Touch Utility (2 of these). I tested disabling each one, one at a time, to see if that would cause the touch screen to stop working. No luck on any of these 4. I've uploaded a screen clip of the HID device list on the SP8.

The touch & palm rejection seem improved on the SP8. But that said, it would still be a nice feature to have the ability to toggle touch off with TTT.

Any Ideas?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

6. tigner

tigner Pen Pal - Newbie

That's exactly what TTT is designed to handle. Go for it.

7. lblb

@tigner

Thanks for testing out a few options. Sorry it's not working out so far. It's weird that you don't have "Touch Screen Device", but unfortunately I don't have a SP8 or Windows 11 to test stuff out.

From what I've read online, it looks like it may be possible if you disable the "Intel(R) Precise Touch" entry. Does that work at all? Does it also disable the pen?

8. tigner

tigner Pen Pal - Newbie

So.... here is my further update: Disabling the driver "Intel Precise Touch & Stylus..." does turn off touch, but it requires a reboot to go into effect, AND it ALSO (as I feared) disables the pen. Turning this driver back ON again after the reboot does not require another boot to complete the cycle. But, obviously, both of these factors - especially the loss of the pen - makes this a non-starter.

We may just be out of luck (for now) on finding an easy toggle for the touch system on the SP8. Good thing the touch & ink systems work so well this time.

Thanks for the help in giving it a try.

9. dellaster

dellaster Creatively Talentless Senior Member

Ditto. I had no idea this TTT utility existed. The creation of this thread predates my joining the forum by several months and it apparently never caught my eye.

It works perfectly fine on my Galaxy Book 12, Windows 10 21H1. In this case it's the "TchS2Helper Device" that needs to be toggled.

Thanks, @lblb - this will a great help sometimes, in some software. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
  10. lblb

@thatcomicsguy

Tray Touch Toggle works on every Windows 10 version I have tried it on. It's just a matter of identifying the correct HID device.

@dellaster
    I'm glad it works for you!

@tigner
    That's a bummer. It's unfortunately still not clear if this is a Windows 11 or a Surface Pro 8 thing.

There is another method that works in Windows 10, but it requires a restart. Maybe it also works on Windows 11? It involves changing a value in the Windows Registry. Strangely enough, this registry method worked without a restart in Windows 7, then was removed completely from Windows 8 and 8.1, then apparently has come back with Windows 10 but now requires a restart (and it's at a slightly different registry address). I don't know if it works in Windows 11. If you are interested to try, in order to disable the touch you can change the value of the TouchGate registry entry from 1 to 0 at the following registry address :

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Wisp\Touch

With Windows 10, you need a restart, but maybe Windows 11 doesn't require one??? If it were not to require a restart on your system, I could easily change TTT for you.

thatcomicsguy and dellaster like this.