Apps for Tablet PC

Discussion in 'Software' started by lblb, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

2. lblb

lblb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@se4n,

Does the attached file work for you with the shortcut (Ctrl + Win + t)? To test it:

- You need to have AutoHotkey installed on your system (I use the ANSI 32 bit version (although it may not be necessary), which you can select during the installation of the latest version of AutoHotkey)
    - Download the attached file
    - Change its extension from .txt to .ahk (I had to change the extension because we cannot directly upload .ahk files on here)
    - With Tray Touch Toggle already installed on your computer (but not running), double-click on this new .ahk file

Does it now work to toggle touch with both the tray icon and the hotkey?

By the way, I removed a lot of coding that didn't belong to Windows 10. Also, if you prefer to use a .exe file, I'd be happy to compile this .ahk file into a .exe file.

Attached Files:

se4n likes this.
  3. se4n

se4n Pen Pal - Newbie

It works perfectly @lblb, thank you! I already had AHK installed and have made a few simple scripts of my own, so I know how to convert it .exe myself. So this new ahk script (or .exe once I convert it) will replace the initial Tray Touch Toggle.exe file and I can delete that one now that it's installed - correct?

Also, if I wanted to replicate this same setup with a hotkey on another Windows 10 PC, should I still use the original .exe file for the initial installation, and then replace it with this updated one after that? Or would this revised script/exe accomplish the installation without needing to do that? I plan on setting this up for some of my family member's Surface Books too.

Edit:
    Looks like when converting the new ahk script to .exe I had to also include all the installation files (.ini, devcon, icons, etc.) in the same directory as the ahk file. So I'm assuming the new .exe file I converted also includes everything needed for installation on another Windows 10 device and I can skip using the original .exe for the install.

Also, I decided to include an Action Center notification in the TouchToggle section of the script (TrayTip) so that it notified me when using the hotkey: TrayTip,,Touchscreen Disabled,, & TrayTip,,Touchscreen Enabled,,

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
  4. lblb

lblb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@se4n

Yep, all true!

5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Do you know of a non-subscription app with the same graphing capability for handwritten equations?..>>

... @Marty : Sorry for this delayed response; life's been busy lately.

There appear to be several "free" Windows 10 graphing apps (just Google), but I don't know if any of them have a handwriting front-end. My experience has been almost entirely with paid / subscription apps and mostly with just two developers. Fluidity Software makes FluidMath in both a stand-alone and an Internet-based version and xThink makes MathJournal and Calculator; MJ and Calculator are stand-alone and there used to be an Internet-based version of MathJournal... I think. Both FM and MJ feature graphing functionality, some of it quite ambitious. Of the two, FM is that more modern application, but both FM and MJ appear to be in maintenance mode these days with no major upgrades planned (as far as I know). Both are Win10 compatible. And both are paid apps. I have never objected to that fact because math solvers are something of a niche application in the US (in part as the result of the last several decades of US public education) so developing this software is definitely a labor of love and shouldn't be expected to be free.

Having extensive experience with both, I (currently) prefer FluidMath, and I willingly pay the yearly $125 subscription for it. However, MathJournal has a larger (and impressive) span of capability and a one time (but more expensive) charge; but it's also a more finicky and eccentric app. Years ago, I observed some odd bugs, but perhaps the have been squashed in the intervening years.

I've also tracked Microsoft's efforts over the years (MathPad was it?), but I never felt like their effort was more than superficial.

Bottom line from my perspective is that if you want a quality app, you need to be willing to pay something for it. I don't know of anything that does a good job and that's also free...

Marty likes this.
  6. Marty

Actually, MS Math was rather good; I still use it as a lightweight graphing calculator.

"MathPad" I think might be referring to MathPaper by MS Research. The IP behind this was actually acquired by FluidMath, so it is indeed a small world for math inking software ;).

Thanks for the suggestions. For MathJournal they seem to have taken the installers offline? I was able to find an alternative link via Dell, but it does seem to be in a partial abandon-ware state... :(

Having tried it out a bit, the ink recognition leaves a lot to be desired. I find the native Math Input panel to be far more accurate.

For FluidMath, I tried the WindowsStore app trial, it recognizes my handwritten equations, but no option appears to graph them.

[​IMG]

Do you know how to activate the feature? And also do you know if it can display 3D graphs? That was one of the extremely nice features of MS Math, very simple and snappy x,y,z plotting:

[​IMG]

7. Steve S

<<...For FluidMath, I tried the Windows Store app trial, it recognizes my handwritten equations, but no option appears to graph them...>>

…My recollection was that the Internet version didn't support graphing (or maybe it was a feature of the up sell?). Anyway, that's why I didn't mention anything about it and only talked about the full-scale version of FluidMath.

8. Marty

I didn't even see an upsell feature on the UWP app, just a option to remove the 15-minute limit if you subscribe. I'm trying to locate the installer for the x86 version, but I can't seem to find it.

What about 3D plotting? Could you upload a screenshot of what a typical handwritten equation to 3D graph would look like?

9. Steve S

<<...What about 3D plotting?..>>

Figured out which tablet had the Internet-based version of Fluid Math installed and refreshed my memory. I never noticed before, but FM apparently doesn't do 3D plots. To do a 2D plot, write the equation and then use the graphing gesture (see Help for the details):

upload_2019-1-23_23-3-38.png

Marty likes this.
  10. Yankee730

Yankee730 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello,

I'm trying to use the Taskbar Shuffler 1.2 on the latest update on Win10, and when I try to run it, it either does nothing or I get a pop-up message that says "Could not close the previous instance of this script. Keep waiting?

Does this work with Win10? I would really appreciate such a program as I have a Lenovo Yoga 730 and I hate that I have to manually change the taskbar setting each time I use the laptop in portrait tablet mode.