Apps for Tablet PC

Discussion in 'Software' started by lblb, Apr 4, 2013.

1. lblb

lblb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Last updates:
    April 30, 2016 (Update: Added Tablet mode toggle RTKB)

November 24, 2015 (Update: Taskbar Shuffler now at v. 1.2)

Hi all,

During the last few months, I developed a few apps to make my life easier when using my EP121. I thought that maybe some of these could be useful to other Tablet PC users so I'll share some of them here. In any case, all files have been uploaded in zip files on MediaFire.com.

I’ve shared some of these apps in preliminary form here and there in this forum, but I'll try to group "official" versions here. Most of these are very simple and all were created in AutoHotkey but you don’t need to install AutoHotkey to use them. Importantly, I’ve only been able to test these on Windows 7 64 bit and I can’t guarantee that they will work on other systems. I’ll be happy to try to work out any reported compatibility issues, bugs or suggestions.

Uninstalling the apps: To remove any of these apps, delete the file that is found on your desktop and then delete the supporting files that are installed here:

C:\Program Files\Apps for Tablet PC​

Troubleshooting: Just write back here if you encounter any issues. In general, it seems like many issues with Win 8 and 8.1 can be solved if you just run the apps as administrator (which you can do by right-clicking on the exe for the app).

1) Moving the Windows taskbar

I’'ve used the different apps below at different times and they all seem to work as they should. While you may prefer the individual apps (simple buttons), I’ve eventually ended up using the much cooler Taskbar shuffler as it can do everything the others can and more.

i) Taskbar shuffler
    This is what has proven to be the most useful for me. For me the most useful function of this app is that it can automatically change the orientation of the taskbar when I switch between portrait and landscape modes. For example, I prefer to have my taskbar on the right side in landscape mode and to have it at the bottom in portrait mode. This app automatically makes this change when I go back and forth between portrait and landscape modes.
    The app consists of a tray icon. If you right-click the tray icon, a menu will appear that allows you to do simple things like move the taskbar to different orientations, or turn on or off the taskbar autohide function.
    In the menu, you can also select what behavior you want when the Display orientation is changed. The default is “do nothing”. You can set different actions for when the tablet is changed to portrait or landscape orientations. These settings are automatically saved.
    By default, if you just normal click on the tray icon it will show the menu. In the menu, you can change what clicking the tray icon will do. For example, you can set it so that clicking on the icon will toggle the taskbar between two orientations. These settings are automatically saved.
    You can launch this app from anywhere on your computer. You can also add it to the Windows startup folder if you want to use it every time you use your tablet. If you do add it to your startup menu, you can put the file anywhere on your computer but you may prefer to put it in the folder C:\Program Files\Apps for Tablet PC\Taskbar shuffler 1_2\ (which is where the settings for the app are saved).
    UPDATE NOVEMBER 24, 2015: If Taskbar Shuffler is set to automatically move the taskbar when the screen orientation is changed, it should now also work properly even when the taskbar is set to autohide (thanks to NYBY15 for the feedback):
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/vinnex100f4d08g/Taskbar+Shuffler+1_2.zip

UPDATE APRIL 6 2013: Should (hopefully) now work with Win 8 (thanks to ejoya's feedback):
    Taskbar shuffler 1.1

ii) Taskbar movers
    These are simple buttons that can be put anywhere on the computer (or they can be pinned to the taskbar) to move the taskbar to the top, bottom, left and right of the screen.
    Taskbar Move.zip

iii) Taskbar togglers
    If you often switch the taskbar between two orientations, you may find these to be useful. These are simple buttons that can be put anywhere on the computer (or they can be pinned to the taskbar) to move the taskbar between two orientations. For example, use of the Bottom/Left toggler: when you click the button, if the taskbar is at the bottom, it will be moved to the left; if it’s to the left, it will be moved to the bottom.
    Taskbar Toggle.zip

iv) Taskbar autohide
    This simple button allows you to quickly turn on or off the taskbar autohide function. It can be put anywhere on the computer (or it can be pinned to the taskbar).
    v) Hide taskbar
    This simple button allows you to quickly hide or show the taskbar. It can be put anywhere on the computer. It’s probably better not to pin it to the taskbar as the taskbar gets hidden when you use it!
    Taskbar Hide Autohide.zip

UPDATE APRIL 5 2013
    2) Hover icons

Hover icons can be great screen space savers and also increase workflow efficiency by minimizing hand movement and clicking. Here is the way they work:​

You can use this app to hide almost any window and transform it into a hover icon. A hover icon is a 40x40 pixels icon that when touched by the cursor (no need to click) reveals its attached window. Just try it, you'll see what I mean: for example, just open NotePad or the Calculator and use the app to transform them into hover icons. Simple instructions are included in the zip file.

Up to four hover icons can be created. The image on the hover icon can be selected to be:
    - the "live" Windows Aero thumbnail
    - the program icon
    - a numbered icon​
    I particularly like to use hover icons when I need to copy data from one window to another. For example, I like to keep a Notepad hover icon in which I can quickly paste data that I get from Firefox. The script is also particularly useful on smaller screens (to save screen space).

There are a few options/functions that you may like to explore:
    - Clicking on the tray icon will hide/show the app's main window.
    - Right-clicking on the tray icon will open a menu with a few useful functions.
    - Another possible option is to add a X button in the middle of the title bar of the iconized window. Left-clicking on the X button uniconizes the window, while right-clicking removes the X button.​
    To use this app, just download the zip file below and extract its content anywhere on your computer. You can use the app from anywhere on your computer (and you can pin it to your taskbar).

Compatibility: This should work on any version of Windows starting from Windows Vista and up. For the hover icons, one of the possible images that can be used is to have the Windows Aero live thumbnail as the image. This function is only available on Windows Vista and up. I don't yet know what happens if you launch the app on older versions of Windows.

A picture with instructions is included in the zip file:
    Hover Icons 0.4.zip

UPDATE APRIL 10 2013:
    For anyone interested in the source code for the hover icons, you can take a look at the AutoHotkey file in the following zip file:
    View attachment Hover Icons_source code.zip

* Thanks to Steve B for all his work testing different versions of the hover icons and their use in art programs!

UPDATE May 21 2013
    3) TabletPC Tray Helper

NOTE: This will likely not work correctly if your system's language is not English.
    This is pretty cool! It's a little program that allows you to control several settings from a tray icon. The main idea here is to reduce the number of clicks necessary to reach some useful settings, and to add a few novel functions. Among others, you can change power plans, change the screen brightness, change the position of the Windows taskbar (it includes all the options that are available in Taskbar Shuffler that is available elsewhere in this post) and, if you allow it, it can also toggle on/off Wifi and Bluetooth adapters as well as Touch input. Probably the most powerful option is that you can save up to four Power profiles. These Power profiles allow you to very quickly adjust in one click:
    - Power plan
    - screen brightness
    - Wifi on/off
    - Bluetooth on/off
    - Touch on/off​
    Power profiles are ideal for people on the go!
    Other features include:
    - When the computer is running on battery, the tray icon shows the remaining battery life
    - You can decide if you want alerts when the computer is plugged in or unplugged, or when the battery life gets low.​
    I've only tested TabletPC Tray Helper on Win 7 64 bit and hopefully it will work on other systems. It includes some pretty complex functions and I'm curious to see if all of them will work on Windows 8. Don't hesitate to leave comments and suggestions or report bugs here!

TabletPC Tray Helper and short instructions are available in a zip file here:
    TabletPC Tray Helper 1.0.zip

UPDATE July 17 2013
    4) Tray Touch Toggle

NOTE: This will likely not work correctly if your system's language is not English.
    This program consists of an icon that sits in the system tray and that allows you to toggle touch on/off. It should work for Windows Vista through Windows 8.1. Just download the proper version (32 or 64 bit), extract the exe file from the zip file anywhere on your computer, and double-click the exe file to launch the program. You can add this program to your Windows Startup menu. The supporting files are installed here: C:\Program Files\Apps for Tablet PC\Tray Touch Toggle 1_0.
    - If you are using Win Vista or Win 7: It should be ready to use out of the box. You can quit it by right-clicking on the tray icon.
    - If you are using Win 8: There is no universal method (yet!) to toggle touch in Win 8 so this app uses a method that's pretty popular on this forum where you enable/disable the HID device that is responsible for touch input. So before you can use Tray Touch Toggle, once you launch it it will ask you to set it up (you can also access the setup window by right-clicking on the tray icon). The main challenge here is to identify the correct HID device. Just carefully follow the instructions (you may also want to consult the list of known codes that is provided). Just report back here if you are having problems with this. I was only able to test on Win 7 64 bit, so don't hesitate to report back any problem you may have with Win 8.​
    Tray Touch Toggle (32 bit).zip
    Tray Touch Toggle (64 bit).zip

* Thanks to Selofain for her previous testing of the Win8 and 32/64 bit stuff.

UPDATE April 30 2016
    5) Tablet mode toggle RTKB
    I needed a quick way to toggle between Tablet and Desktop modes in Windows 10. This app makes it possible to toggle between the two modes by right-clicking on the Windows Touch Keyboard icon on the taskbar. Just launch the app and right-click on the keyboard icon! To quit the app, just right-click on its tray icon. As usual, the app has been uploaded in a zip file on MediaFire.com.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/ae3lohssvwp7vwk/Tablet_mode_toggle_RTKB.zip

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  2. lblb

Reserved for later use!

3. lblb

Update!
    I've now added a new app to create hover icons. See the first post for more information

4. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Dude, that Hover Icon program kicks *ss. How awesome that it can be applied to just about anything now. That's.... cool.... I love how flexible the concept is.

What will he have up his sleeve next, folks? :)

5. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Iblb thanks dude. You've been nothing but helpful on these boards with your numerous utilities.
    Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express

6. ejoya

ejoya Pen Pal - Newbie

Taskbar shuffler doesn't work in my windows 8 samsung ativ 500t. I get wmploc error

7. lblb

@ Steve B and nnthemperor:
    Thanks for the kind words! I just thought that maybe other users may find some of these handy. Hopefully soon I'll be able to share some of the apps (like that Scroller thing and the tray menu to control power plans, brightness and others) that were mentioned in other threads.

@ ejoya:
    Thanks for the report. The wmploc is only a normal Windows file that Taskbar shuffler uses for icons in the tray menu. I'm guessing that this file (which was in all previous versions of Windows) is not included in Win 8. Does the following modified Taskbar Shuffler work (I just removed any reference to wmploc in the code)?

Edit: The updated version can be downloaded from post #1

Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  8. ejoya

ejoya Pen Pal - Newbie

thanks, new update for taskbar shuffler works

9. lblb

Update!

Thanks ejoya for your feedback. I have just updated Taskbar shuffler to version 1.1 (see the first post). It hopefully will now work with Win 7 and Win 8. If you downloaded the raw version that I initially uploaded in post #7, you may want to download the updated version in post #1 as it will have all the icons in the tray menu.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  10. ejoya

ejoya Pen Pal - Newbie

Just downloaded the update and I'm back to the same wmploc problem