Apple Pencil versus Logitech Crayon

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by desertlap, Dec 10, 2018.

1. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member

I have a budding artist niece that is getting one of the new iPads (standard one) for Christmas.

I want to get her one or the other and I was looking for opinions form people that might have used both specifically for a lot of drawing. I use my current pencil mostly for annotating/marking up docs and the occasional stick figure so I'm not the best judge here, but I know that many here are much heavier users.

She's 13 years old if that makes any difference.
    Thanks in advance

2. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Simply: the Logitech Crayon will draw or behave like a fineliner pen and produce uniform lines when she draws (no matter what the hand pressure she uses). The Apple Pencil will behave more like a traditional pencil when she draws and it will translate hand pressure into lighter or bolder lines when she draws.

Ask her to try using a fineliner vs a 4B pencil on ordinary paper for a week and see which she prefers however one thing to consider is that the Logitech will always only create perfectly uniform lines whereas the Pencil will allow her flexibility and she will be able to switch off pressure in some Apps and giver her line weight in others.

WillAdams and desertlap like this.
  3. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks very much!. I thought maybe the crayon would be more kid friendly, but it sounds like too much so. Her art is quite detailed so I'd imagine variable lines would be a plus

doobiedoobiedum likes this.
  4. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I think the flexibility to work either way is the big deal. I have seen amazing professional art created with uniform lines (most production design drawings and illustrations for example used to be produced using standard width technical pens) so I've never been one to insult all drawings done without a pressure sensitive stylus - but her personal preference is what counts - and her ability to choose with the tool she draws with.

5. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I would just get her the regular Apple Pencil. 13 is old enough that her art skills/needs could definitely extend to needing pressure sensitivity, and the Apple pencil overall will work better hands down on the iPad then any 3rd party pen ever will. And even if she doesn't need Pressure Sensitivity now.....she might later down the line. My 1st gen Apple Pencil (iPad Pro 9.7) still works perfectly fine 2 years later and it will very likely outlive the iPad itself. It would definitely be a good investment.

WillAdams likes this.