Apple Pencil 2

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by siddhartth, Oct 19, 2016.

?

Who wants an Apple stylus with a thinner tip?

1. yes

8 vote(s)
    38.1%
  2. no

4 vote(s)
    19.0%
  3. If it was possible then Apple would have done it already

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Doesn't matter if it becomes the perfect Stylus, iOS Desktop class full Adobe and OneNote

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  5. thickness is ok but it's just too slippery

2 vote(s)
    9.5%
  6. both thickness and Slipperiness are a problem

8 vote(s)
    38.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

IMHO Apple has done several things right w the iPad Pro and Pencil, mostly it is ergonomics that could be better.

#1 Actual hover cursor function like Wacom EMR,
    #2 Lighter with most weight towards the tip.
    #3 Flat hexagonal sides like a Staedtler pencil to increase comfort and "reduce" rolling. (edit from "prevent" because obviously that would be unlikely)
    #4 Side buttons and back eraser.
    #5 Charge wirelessly, get rid of the silly charge plug.

Until I can have separate apps in multiple overlapping windows open (including floating on top, NOT split view) the above does not matter to me.

Last edited: May 13, 2018
    WillAdams likes this.
  2. Tapio-Huuhaa

Tapio-Huuhaa Pen Pal - Newbie

The pen, which I tested had charging connector on the another end. Charging was with a cable. You seems to have used different model or the pen has also the possibility to use wireless charging.

"#3 Flat hexagonal sides like a Staedtler pencil to increase comfort and prevent rolling."

If friction is too low that doesn't help enough. The pen feels a little bit escaping from the perfect control. Not bad way. Anyway if I compare the friction with my own pens, Apple Pencil is not as good.

3. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

• Felt/hard rubber nib (Surface pro 4 like tip)
    • Fine point (0.8 to 1.0 mm)
    • Springloaded tip
    • Tip heavier than the back end better weight distribution
    • 360Hz pen polling rate (variable)
    • Mouse compatibility with right click
      Without, mouse compatibility itsi hard for me to do anything related to text, drag select is the minimum one needs. Right click is just so convenient. I find 3Dtouch gimmicky something like a touchbar on Macbooks. Just replace all your long press actions with right click when a Bluetooth mouse is attached. It's that simple
    Or else i will buy a Samsung tabS4 instead. I just got so close to buying ipad2018 yesterday. Then the possibility of upcoming iPadpro 2018 or Tab S4 prevented me from doing so. Both of which will be nearly Bezelless. June is too close to make a hasty decision now.

artistebot likes this.
  4. siddhartth

I think the level of friction that felt/suede tip of Surface pen provies on Surface pro4 is more than enough control. Like a ballpoint pen. I also loved whatever thing there is on Samsung NoteSPen nib. It alao gives good control.i have no problem with nib wearing our too quickly if that's what it takes. But seeing how well Surface pen tip is holding up, i can't complain about the choice of material. Anyone realizes that, if Surface pen was as good as ApplePencil, most of us wouldn't be having this conversation at all. It's funny how windows created a market for pen based creative displays and lost it completely to Apple. As bad as ipad2018 is, it's 100 times better than Surface pro4 for handwriting. I just wish iPad pro2018 and ApplePencil 2 is coming in june, provided someone at Apple reads this thread and implements basic demands that we are making. I will be so mad if instead of improving the pencil they just announce it in different colours. Then, i might not even wait for a tabS4, i will probably order a Cintiq oro 13 in a fit of rage.

artistebot likes this.
  5. Tapio-Huuhaa

I don't have tested MS Surface because it it too expensive for me. I thought to keep iPad 9,7 & Apple Pencil because of the reasonable price.

You mean Cintiq Pro
    I looked Wacom Cintiq Pro - for an amateur many times too expensive but for professionals might be the best.

I get reasonable handwriting with Apple Pencil, see https://tinyurl.com/ya78zmq8

In fact I don't write better with a ball-point-pen. Even if I was not fully satisfied with the friction, I could live with it. And with minor changes the friction could be for my taste. The bigger problem for me is the noise.

I tested once Samsung Note 6,5 and I didn't like it at all. Too slippery for me. When I tried to draw outlines for a flower, I couldn't. In addition of slippery, it was not exact enough and didn't follow movements well enough. At least in the test total failure. The pen for the phone is very small.

I assume that I could do outlines for a flower with iPad 9,7 & Apple Pencil.

Samsung Note 10,1 is much bigger and it might have much better pen. I just couldn't test it at all.

In a Finnish site has been told that the pen for Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 is not very good. It was said to be delicate (something that is not strong and stable) and it didn't convince that it would be possible to create exact drawings with the pen. It didn't follow movements exactly. I don't believe that S4 would be much better.

6. siddhartth

It's lighter but just as durable as ApplePencil. It has a pocket clip too. It's pen performance is equivalent in pen performance to wacom cintiq pens (Almost).
    All samsung Spen come with 2 sets of nib smooth-slippery and friction-rubbery, they are included. The smooth nib is the default one installed. i get better control on a note8 screen, much better than most ballpoits on a smooth paper, if the rubber nib is installed. Infact with 360Hz of sampling rate, note 8 gives u an handwriting that is identical to a gel pen on paper. Even Cintiqs have only 230 Hz of sampling if my sources are correct.

For an occasional relaxed handwriting style and deliberate artwork, ipad 2018 is ore than what u can ask for. But for handwriting fast for long hours. Which does happen if u are a student or a creative writer. Springloaded nibs and finer tip makes a lot of difference, comfort for ur fingers. With a finer tip u dont have to be extra cautious where the ink stroke appears underneath the massive huge nib of the Apple pencil, so ur brain is relaxed, it doesn't have to actively guess the stroke.

Thus, ipad2018 is good enough for art and maybe for slowly paced calligraphy, but not for handwriting. But if it improves further, keeping in mind the ease of handwriting it will become even better for art. Especially, if Apple keeps up the current pace.

artistebot likes this.
  7. Tapio-Huuhaa

The Finnish site just didn't regard the tip of S3 as steady as in iPad Pro. The problem is to choose between narrow but some level unsteady tip and a little bit thick but steady tip.

What about the noise with Wacom pens? At least some of them work with iPad and should have pressure sensitivity. Maybe not with basic iPad 9,7 but with Pro models. I just don't know. If I would buy some day iPad, I would need pressure sensitivity for the basic iPad.

I tested pressure sensitivity with ibisPaint X and Autodesk Sketcbook, where it worked with Apple Pencil.

Some people told that Wacom Bamboo has problem with tips. They might loose.

I didn't know that there are several tips for the Spen of Samsung Galaxy Note. The basic idea is then, what I suggested for Apple Pencil. One tip is not ideal for everybody.

"underneath the massive huge nib of the Apple pencil"

It seems quite strong and steady, but it does also this disadvantage. This would be especially problem for me because I should add textile over the tip in order to reduce noise. I have some level problem with my own pens relating the width of the tips. Tips cover too much the surface and if I try to create exact lines, I must estimate, where I should draw. Indeed I seldom try to create exact lines but rather I draw fast sketches.

8. siddhartth

Ag
    At present, if i am going to be honest with you. iPad is the best value for money and also the most satisfying solution out there. But only because of the App optimization and efficient software, not because of the pen hardware. In that department Apple is still second to wacom EMR in Tab S3. I repeat, dont trust any site, but try it first hand.

9. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

The Westboro Baptist Church said the "God hates Finland" so it that true too? Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, even if not based on reality.

IMHO I think the Tab S3 is a better value, but the iPad pro is more powerful. True that first-hand experience is best, thankfully there are several options to choose from, as many people may have different needs or expectations for their device.

siddhartth likes this.
  10. Tapio-Huuhaa

Tab S3 is much more expensive than iPad & Apple Pencil.

The Finnish site didn't tell the manufacturer of the SPen. The site recommended to install Sketchbook (www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXnbjglaCuQ). That apparently supports pressure sensitivity. If I would like to draw, I should use that application because pressure sensitivity is not supported in the Android version of ibisPaint X.

Is the Sketchbook only for Galaxy tablets?

Huawei MediaPad M5 is cheaper. At least Pro should support pressure sensitive pen, but is it from Wacom, I just don't know. For me MediaPad has been alternative for iPad.

If Wacom pens are silent, I'm forced to use them. If iPad 9,7 would support some Wacom Bamboo pen, that might be the cheapest working solution.

Silence has for me bigger meaning than accuracy. I just can't buy Apple Pencil because I should modify it and if I would modify it, the tip becomes too thick. Then I can't draw exactly.

I'm ready to accept thin tip, if it is at least relative steady and it follows movements relative well. Complains about the small inaccuracy in fast movements apparently doesn't relate the pen itself but the tablet & the software of the tablet.

What about Wacom Bamboo Fineline 3. It is supported stylus in the list of ibisPaint X:
    https://ibispaint.com/stylus/supported_digital_stylus.jsp?lang=hi

I was informed about the cheapest price: https://www.karkkainen.com/verkkokauppa/wacom-bamboo-fineline-3-stylus-kyna-digitointikyna

https://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/ipad/best-stylus-for-ipad-ipad-pro-or-ipad-mini-3586503/

lists in addition Hahakee iPad Stylus

Last edited: May 24, 2018