Apple Pencil 2

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by siddhartth, Oct 19, 2016.

?

Who wants an Apple stylus with a thinner tip?

1. yes

10 vote(s)
    38.5%
  2. no

5 vote(s)
    19.2%
  3. If it was possible then Apple would have done it already

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Doesn't matter if it becomes the perfect Stylus, iOS Desktop class full Adobe and OneNote

1 vote(s)
    3.8%
  5. thickness is ok but it's just too slippery

3 vote(s)
    11.5%
  6. both thickness and Slipperiness are a problem

10 vote(s)
    38.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

$11 apparently :D

upload_2018-2-21_9-38-49.png

(from some Apple forum post - personally I got some cheapo silicone caps on Amazon)

WillAdams likes this.
  2. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

What I really want is an iPod Touch which supports an Apple Stylus. Worried I'm going to break down and buy a Samsung Galaxy Note 8.....

Bronsky and siddhartth like this.
  3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

My Apple Pencil Improvment Wish List would entrail

1. Hovering Cursor.....dear god.....especially with Clip Studio Paint......please give us a hovering cursor.

2. Multiple Nib Options.....somewhat like the Nib Kit that came with the Surface Pens. While I've grown attached to the current nib....a more HB feeling nib would be appreciated....as well as its opposite....a nib that can replicate the rollerball feeling most Wacom pens have.

3. It might pose problems with the charging port....but I would like to see a Cintiq or even Surface Pro Styled Eraser. It is a "Pencil" afterall.....and that would be a worthy enough feature to make old Pencil owners spring for a new one.

4. Greater Apple Pencil compatibility with more apple devices. While full MAC OSX compatibility would be a pipe dream....given the ES/Bluetooth nature of the Apple Pencil....there is no reason Apple couldn't easily extend the pencil to Ipad Minis or Iphones. Especially iPhones....since that alone could be a huge blow to Samsungs Note marketshare. I have a Note 5 and I dislike the design of the Note 8......if they had an Iphone X that could be used with the Apple Pencil....I would probably buy that.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
    siddhartth likes this.
  4. YVerloc

YVerloc Scribbler - Standard Member

use my ipad pro all the time for sketching. Every night almost. I have the pencil but i /never/ use it. the pencil works just fine, but it is overkill when paired with a toy OS and a tiny screen. I use my finger all the time. Hundreds and hundreds of sketches and quick paintings done using my finger. It seems like the right tool for the job frankly (my finger, that is). If they ever make a pro level machine capable of doing serious work, I might use the pencil again. If that day ever comes, the only thing i'd like changed about the pencil is the weird charging tang. I seriously worry about snapping that off when the pen is hanging off the side of the ipad. What were they thinking? The tip is fine by me.

I just realized that I replied on the first page of the thread way back in 2016. I hated the charging method then, and I still do. Back when the pencil was new I used it a lot. But as I say above, I still use my ipad all the time but I haven't used the pencil for over a year probably. For sketching and most of my painting, I just don't need pressure sensitivity. I've never needed tilt, ever. So do I need a skinnier tip? If my finger does just fine, then probably not.

One thing to note: the pencil has a weird problem. If you let it run completely out of charge, the ipad's attempts to pair with it will eat your wireless bandwidth. I was getting something ridiculous, like 2k bits per second. Not megabits per second. Bits per second. The pairing with the dead pencil was the culprit. If you aren't going to use your pencil, disable bluetooth or un-pair the pencil or your wifi will become utterly useless.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
    siddhartth and Marty like this.
  5. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

I'm so paranoid about the connector that I charge the Pencil with Apple's charger and the little adapter that came with the Pencil. It has a special little case in my drawer because I'm just as paranoid about losing that little tiny adapter. Can you spell @ňął? (Because I obviously can't)

6. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

This is very interesting! When I try to do this on most a windows apps, the finger tracking resolution is noticeably coarser than with the pen. (This is normal, because digitizer usually ramps up the polling frequency when it detects the active pen.)

Is the iPad Pro finger tracking feel just as precise/responsive as when using the Pencil? If so, than that is huge difference between other AES devices and vs Apple's implememtation.

siddhartth likes this.
  7. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

My wishlist is the same-
    1. 0.5 to 0.8 mm nib
    2. Friction with screen that is comparable with pen and paper.
    3. More ergonomic weight distribution than the present pencil.
    4. Compatibility with iPhone
    5. Good first party notetaking apps that are fully featured.

Edit: i just realised i just want an SPen on a device which runs an OS as smooth and efficient as iOS, but has apps as feature rich and useful as those offered by Microsoft.

I find the design of Note8 more appealing than iPhonex. The Notch is just plain disturbing. The software attempts to hide the notch but that significantly reduces the workable area. Giving it a forehead. Also the bezels could be thinner on the sides like Samsung.
    [​IMG]
    Samsung's design is much more symmetrical. With much more workable display to body ratio.

I would always forgive a big forehead or chin if it houses something useful like a selfie camera or front facing speakers. But side bezels need to go.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
  8. YVerloc

YVerloc Scribbler - Standard Member

Surprisingly accurate. Trying to draw a tiny circle with my fat fingertip just now. The contact pad is about a centimeter in diameter, and the circle is about 3mm diameter, but looks like a little square with rounded corners. Can do a decent 4mm wide 5-pointed star. So strange drawing little things that you can’t even see under your finger, but it works.

Marty likes this.
  9. Tapio-Huuhaa

Tapio-Huuhaa Pen Pal - Newbie

There is one matter, which is also important - the noise.

I made this proposal in Finnish by phone. I just let my proposal to this forum in order that other people would know my idea.

When I used iPad 9,7 & Apple Pencil I found two issues, which could be improved.

1) The pencil is a little bit noisy. My wife commanded me to another room working, because she didn't like the noise, which the pencil caused.

2) The pencil is a little bit slippery.

These could be fixed by adding to the tip of the pen some soft leather.

I tested by putting around the tip some soft leather. It reduced noise and the contact between the tip of the pen and the glass became better. If you add some material to the tip, the tip becomes thicker, which might be uncomfortable.

It would be nice, if Apple could build several kinds of tips for Apple Pencil.

I proposed three different tips.

1) Normal tip, which is used today

2) Silent tip, which has soft material on the tip.

That could be used in situations, where is necessary to prevent noise. For example if you work in a night buss or if you work in the night on bed and you companion is in sleep, you would need Silent tip.

3) Art tip. Art tip is something between the Normal tip and Silent tip.

Some thin material (about 0,2 mm) on the tip would create optimal friction between the glass surface of the tablet and the pen.

Unfortunately the optimal friction for creating art does not mean the maximum silence.

I have made for my existing tablet pen Art tip and Silent tip and I just know that this is the fact.

If fact Apple could create tip set for digital artists, which I proposed.

But creating digital art, there is one issue left - you hand. Even if iPad doesn't need a tablet glove,a tablet glove would be useful.

Lets imagine that you want to create a continuous curvy line from the bottom left - middle top - bottom right, you just can't do it without a glove. You meet that kind of situation for example in situation, where you want to create the basic shape of a mountain group. You would also like to create a large spiral with one stroke.

With glove you could slide both the pen and and your hand on the surface of the tablet, when you could do those long strokes.

It would be optimal, if the friction of the tip of the pen and the friction of the bottom side of the glove would be the same. The glove needs a friction, which is not too slipper in order to draw without moving your hand but enough slipper in order to glide your hand on the surface of the tablet. I have tested the idea when I solved crosswords. When I wanted to go into another place of the crossword I didn't lift my hand from the surface of the tablet but I just glide my hand to another place.

Seems that is is not reasonable to suggest anything for Apple and Apple people - nobody is interested. I put directly some comments to Apple (feedback form) and to some forums. Good bue - I don't anymore follow this issue. you can contact to tapio.huuhaa@gmail.com if you wish.

Last edited: May 11, 2018
    WillAdams likes this.
  10. Tapio-Huuhaa

Tapio-Huuhaa Pen Pal - Newbie

"Friction with screen that is comparable with pen and paper."

You wish resembles mine. In order to get optimal friction there are two possibilities:
    a) put a plastic surface over the screen
    b) add material over the tip

I found very good material to the tip artificial suede. My daughter had booths, which another had elastic textile, which resembled suede. Another booth had also material, which resembled suede, but it was some fiber, which was not elastic.

But it is not a good idea to try to emulate normal pencil and paper, because the tip wear very quickly.

This problem is in reMarkable ( https://remarkable.com/ ).

And in addition emulating typewriter/copy paper is not a good idea, when the tablet has been used for other purposes as just for writing and drawing.

In my mind is reasonable to try to emulate the friction between a ball-point-pen and magazine paper. I have that kind of friction in some own pens.