Apple Pencil 2

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by siddhartth, Oct 19, 2016.

?

Who wants an Apple stylus with a thinner tip?

1. yes

10 vote(s)
    38.5%
  2. no

5 vote(s)
    19.2%
  3. If it was possible then Apple would have done it already

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Doesn't matter if it becomes the perfect Stylus, iOS Desktop class full Adobe and OneNote

1 vote(s)
    3.8%
  5. thickness is ok but it's just too slippery

3 vote(s)
    11.5%
  6. both thickness and Slipperiness are a problem

10 vote(s)
    38.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. YVerloc

YVerloc Scribbler - Standard Member

image.jpeg
    Here's a doodle from last night. Not a drawn line anywhere. When it comes to expertise on line dynamics, I'll happily defer to Shoggie. Happy early Halloween.

siddhartth likes this.
  2. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Actually when the glass is clean it drags even too much. The problem comes as soon as the glass gets filled with grease from the hands, wich is something that in the long run affects even a rubbery tip like the flex nibs/surface pro 4 soft tips.
    I use a matte screen protector and this way is perfect.

3. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah actually Apple did say that it has designed this as an art instrument. I guess the difference here is use cases, i have to take down, class lectures and make little diagrams on the side. Precision is of prime importance. Apple still considers handwriting as inferior to typing. I think apple needs to differentiate it's stylus line into a pencil and pen, one for artists, one for handwriting and small font calligraphy. Only calligraphy examples with Apple pencil that i saw were big calligraphic posters, in which the artist was actually using the whole screen to right just 4 or 5 words. A nib as fine as that of a flex fountain pen will be great for calligraphic handwriting and handwriting in general.

I hope that Next generation Surface pen improves enough to compete with 0 gm wt IAF of Apple pencil. Otherwise, it's going to be a huge disappointment for me. I am used to writing with 0.5 mm felt tip luxor pens. Even the 1.6 mm Galaxy Note tip makes me cringe every time i have to use it. This was something which made NOTE7 0.7mm SPen so appealing.

Actually the handwriting comfort in SP4 is best after oil build up. It becomes smoother to touch but oily surface gives the exact amount of friction to the rubber tip, that doesn't drag but retains control. YOU AN SEE THE RUBBER TIP PARTIALLY DISPLACING OIL ON THE SCREEN AS YOU WRITE. My handwriting on SP4 is far superior to what i get in my EMR Note3. And pressure curve is also far richer in NTrig, in the sense that i can see tapering of strokes in NTrig but in EMR my Strokes do not taper at all they get abruptly cut.

I thing people make too much fuss about pressure levels. I am sure the Note7 EMR with >4000 presssure levels still doesn't hold water against fluidity of Apple Pencil. And i am sure Note 7 still has PERCEPTIBLY higher IAF than APPLE PENCIL.

4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I've owned everything from early Wacom EMR, to later revisions (up to ill fated Galaxy Note 7); N-Trig from HP Slate 500 to SPro 4; whatever Dell was using; and the Apple Pencil. For handwriting purposes, they all suck compared to the little stick in my old ThinkPad Tablet 2. I'm not talking about edge accuracy, or 6 bazillion pressure levels, or Monet artwork, I'm just talking about every day note taking - forming print and cursive letters. They are all too fussy compared to that TPT2.

Apple is on to soemthing, but it still clicks and clatters, and gets sloppy at times when just trying to draw uniform lines (like in text)...

siddhartth likes this.
  5. Tor

Tor Pen Pal - Newbie

The tip could be smaller and I could use a button or two on the barrel and that´s about it.
    The rest does not matter to me
    Dont care about the eraser, IMO one of the advantages of going digital is the habitability to use the same tip/ line type to erase
    Charging, whatever works
    Grip/ Slipperiness, as long as its small enough like the Apple Pencil is, we can ad whatever grip one needs (unlike the fat wacom things ..)

siddhartth likes this.
  6. dstrauss

The Apple Pencil really does need a clip or some other manner of attaching it to the keyboard - as well as better weight distribution - when writing it always feels top heavy and trying to fall baclwards out of your hand.

siddhartth likes this.
  7. Azzart

Wait, you mean there's really someone who actually went so far as buying that ugly overpriced Apple keyboard?

8. dstrauss

Tsk, tsk, tsk, :cool: my daughter (who inherited that iPP 9.7) thinks it is the berries...:p

9. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

To summarize this thread so far, i will arrange the most wanted features in decreasing order of their demand-
    1. Thinner writing tip/Nib - EVERYBODY, except @YVerloc wants it
    2. Less slippery tip/Nib - @JoeS @siddhartth @Tor and several others want it too, Except for @Azzart, he is happy the way things are presently.
    3. Eraser - Either on top end of the stylus or Activated via side buttons, but every body wants it.
    And some other features have also been suggested like -
    • Side buttons @Tor
    • Pen loop in Keyboard cover @Marty and Pocket Clip @dstrauss in the stylus
    • Many people have problems with present way of charging the Stylus but do not consider it a deal breaker
    • @JoeS and @YVerloc have highlighted many problems that may be related to Nib/tip assembly.
    At this point i wish, i could delete the current poll and change it with this -

Which of the following features should be implemented in Apple Pencil?
    • Thinner writing point/tip/nib
    • Options between Plastic and extruded Rubber texture tip//Nib for better control of your handwriting
    • Better weight distribution- not too top heavy
    • Eraser - on top or via side button
    • Side buttons
    My Semifinal thoughts-
    • Apple pencil is an excellent art instrument. It's the best sketching instrument and second best painting instrument compared to cintiq.
    • It's a far from perfect in handwriting/calligraphy department just because of it's THICK SLIPPERY TIP AND TOP HEAVY WEIGHT DISTRIBUTION
    • As bad as Apple pencil is, it's still better than any Cintiq or Surface for handwriting.
    Here is the sister thread about improvement request in Surface Pen
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/thr...we-all-can-agree-on-somethe-in-the-end.71008/

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  10. Azzart

Hey, I'm also fine with the tip size: it's just accurate enough I can draw confidently the smallest detail I may need. :D
    Only thing I would add is a pair of buttons.