Apple Pencil 2

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by siddhartth, Oct 19, 2016.

?

Who wants an Apple stylus with a thinner tip?

1. yes

10 vote(s)
    38.5%
  2. no

5 vote(s)
    19.2%
  3. If it was possible then Apple would have done it already

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Doesn't matter if it becomes the perfect Stylus, iOS Desktop class full Adobe and OneNote

1 vote(s)
    3.8%
  5. thickness is ok but it's just too slippery

3 vote(s)
    11.5%
  6. both thickness and Slipperiness are a problem

10 vote(s)
    38.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

2. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

3. Tapio-Huuhaa

Tapio-Huuhaa Pen Pal - Newbie

I bought instead of iPad Huawei MediaPad M5 Lite.
    I like the pen of that device more than Apple Pencil.
    1. quite quite (could be better)
    2. ideal size of the pen itself
    3. ideal size of the edge (looks like a little bit used pencil)
    Better size and thinner edge makes the pen better for drawing very small items. It was relative easy to draw 6 millimeter high face with the pen![​IMG]

Example image, which height was on the device 6mm

What is worse:
    1. Has delay with fast drawing
    2. Limited pressure sensitivity

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    wytn and siddhartth like this.
  4. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I share your views regarding the problems with an apple pencil. According to the specs it should be as good as Wacom Cintiqs but the slipperiness and thickness of the nib negates all the good, when it comes to handwriting purposes. I even installed one of those textured screen protectors but the thickness of the nib allowed it to easily glide over the textured bumps which a smaller nib would have felt more.

I liked my handwriting on Cintiq even better than actual pen and paper. It's not just specs I think Wacom has actually researched and really nailed it, how a pen nib is supposed to feel against a writing surface. And Apple still remains way behind in this aspect. With a paperlike screen protector, you can make the display feel like paper, but it won't make the thick smooth plastic stub of a nib that Apple Pencil has, feel like graphite. Apple needs to work on material it uses for the nib and also it's size. With iPadmini out, Apple needs to make the next gen of Apple stylus to be pocket friendly and cross compatible with the larger iPads.

5. Tapio-Huuhaa

Tapio-Huuhaa Pen Pal - Newbie

Sorry about some wrong words. I assume that the biggest advance with your Cintic is that it does not have delay. Apparently pressure sensitivity support is better too. Apparently Huawei uses Wacom styluses. For me the exact drawing was positive surprise. Even if it is a little bit slippery, the feeling of drawing seems almost like using real pen.

For me the delay with fast drawing is not a big problem, but what Android device would have as little delay as iPad?

It support palm rejection, but if you lift you hand you might get unwanted action - especially if you have some tools visible, for example layers. Making exact drawing it is always reasonable to use a tablet glove, which prevents all unwanted actions. Lifting hand usually cause zooming or moving - caused that also with iPad. Parm rejection is always limited.

6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

DYI Time - even with the stronger magnets, my Pencil 2 falls off my iPP11 just like the Surface Pen on the Surface Pro. There is a simple solution- attach a pen loop on the left side of the back of your SmartKeyboard and you can slide the pen in and it locks to the magnet - but can't be sheared off in your bag or while carrying it around. I chose left side so as not to put any gap or strain on the pogo pin port on the right.

PenLoop.jpg

WillAdams and Kumabjorn like this.
  7. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

No Cintiq has worse/more delay than the ipad pro. It's just that the surface feel reallylike a paper and also pen nib is very fine on Cintiq. To be honest, Delay is not much of a problem for me either. I just wish Apply pencil nib was a bit smaller and had a friction coating on it.

I am glad you find the Huwaei M pen good enough for handwriting. Did you buy the phone the mate pro x or the huwawei mate tablet? Can you tell me if the pen starts writing with the lightest touch or you have to press harder for writing?