Apple pencil( Active capacitive pen)vs Wacom feel emr

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by starllcraft, Nov 24, 2020.

?

Which technology would you choose to support

1. Wacom feel emr

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Apple pencil

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. starllcraft

starllcraft Pen Pal - Newbie

I have active capacitive pen devices: iPad mini5, HP spectre X360 (MPP)

I have wacom feel EMR devices: Galaxy Book 12, HP chrome Book X2 (engineering machine version is EMR pen), HP zbook X2 (zbook x2 pen IAF is the lowest), Dell chrome book 7486 (with windows 10 installed), Acer chrome book spin13 (with windows 10 installed), Dell canvas 27 (with wacom pen The pen refill of the propen 1 generation, so the cursor will be offset when used on other devices)

first of all, please forgive my English. English is not my mother tongue. It depends on machine translation.

In contrast,I like Wacom emr pen, which is the answer as an illustrator.

What is the difference between wacom EMR and other active capacitive pen schemes? Compared with the iPad Pro pencil 2, Samsung tab S7 Series is the best feel EMR device at present

1: The initial activation power of s pen is 1g (taking zbook x2 pen as an example), and the initial activation power of Apple pencil is 0 g (it can draw lines with its own weight), (wacom AES's best pen is more than 3 grams, and the best Microsoft MPP pen is more than 5 grams). There is no big difference between the two. The activation power of 0 g will not be used in actual painting.

2: In terms of handwriting tracking delay, pencil 2 has the same 9ms compared with s pen. Pencil's tilt sensitivity and angle are 90 ° and s pen's tilt recognition angle is only 60 ° after all, pencil's shape angle is larger.

3: The S pen technology belongs to wacom EMR pen, which does not need to be charged. The pencil needs to be charged. After a few years of charging cycle, the pen will break down due to the battery life. Wacom feel emr technology In terms of service life, even the wacom DTU Pen Display 20 years ago can be used normally.

4:The S pen has a minimum core of 0.7mm, which is at least one or two times smaller than that of pencil, and the resistance of the pen is larger, and writing is more comfortable; the failure rate of pen is the lowest. Wacom EMR pen has been tested by artists for decades. Active capacitive pens are prone to failure. The pencil will experience slow diagonal jitter.(Wacom feel EMR technology has 2540 LPL, that is, 2540 gridlines per inch of screen, so it can almost input original handwriting without slow slash jitter. MPP / AES / pencil of active capacitive pen technology uses the grid on the capacitive screen. The capacitive screen for large-scale touch electrostatic induction touch operation does not have so many grids, and relies on software algorithm to optimize the lines.), and occasionally the line will be interrupted. It is afraid of water and is easily disturbed by static electricity and temperature.

5: In terms of pen body design, all parts of pencil active capacitor pen are on the pen, so the pen is very expensive, and the pencil generation costs $100. (the main cost of the electromagnetic pen scheme is borne by the manufacturer in the electromagnetic layer under the screen. The cost of the pen is actually very low. The EMR pen consists of only a few coil capacitors and PCB boards, and most devices come with pens. At present, the best electromagnetic pen that can be purchased with authorization is $35 - $85).

6: Pencil is long and heavy, and its body is smooth. The center of gravity is on the tail, which affects the feel of the hand. The third-party pen is almost unusable. On the contrary, wacom EMR pen has various styles, ranging from Samsung Note Series toothpick pens to lmay fountain pen sizes. More humanized, there are shortcut keys and tail erasers. Different third-party pens have good compatibility.

7: In terms of pressure sense, the wacom 4096 level of s pen is not false, Wacom EMR technology can input almost original handwriting. Pencil relies too much on software algorithm optimization, which makes it feel like smearing。

8: In terms of suspension sensing distance cursor, wacom EMR is the strongest, with a sensing distance of 10 mm, and the tracking speed delay at the highest position of the cursor is also very low (Hover cursor follow function, such as in Photoshop can see the size of the brush, tilt direction and so on is very convenient , iPad OS does not support suspension sensing cursor, no comparison). I have used the MPP scheme of Microsoft, and the tracking height is only 5-6 mm, and the maximum delay is very high and the offset is serious.

It is hoped that ces2021 will bring a new windows + wacom EMR 2-in-1 tablet. The galaxy Book 12 is nearly three years old and has no successor

WillAdams likes this.
  2. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Preach! Sing it brother!

I would give my interest in Hell for a Samsung Galaxy Book 12 successor which allowed a natural selection of text using a Staedtler Noris Digital Stylus in contemporary apps in an up-to-date version of Windows --- it's getting hard to stay back at 1703.

Current candidates for replacement are:

• Samsung Galaxy Tab S7+ --- probably rooted to run Linux
    • an Apple iPad Pro and Apple Pencil to pair w/ my new Intel MacBook Pro using either SideCar or AstroPad Duet

starllcraft likes this.
  3. starllcraft

starllcraft Pen Pal - Newbie

Samsung doesn't seem to care about their windows 2-in-1 tablet. If Samsung can make a Windows 2-in-1 tablet with the hardware of tab S7, it will be excellent.
    Of course, the current Samsung tab S7 Series is also very good. It has desktop level "clip studio paint" and "krita". You can also use the "super display" application to connect to a Windows PC as a cintiq pen display.

WillAdams likes this.
  4. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

5. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Just be aware that USB cable length adds to latency of SuperDisplay. My 3 ft USB A to C cable is almost lag free while my 6 ft USB C to C cable lags noticeably.

6. nyb72

nyb72 Scribbler - Standard Member

At last year's CES, I talked to a Korean Samsung laptop manager and he seemed pretty adamant that they had no plans to do a 2-in-1 PC form factor :( He seemed quite shocked when I told him how much I love the GB12 form factor.

starllcraft likes this.
  7. nyb72

nyb72 Scribbler - Standard Member

Didn't realize that, but good to know. I've been using 3 feet cables all this time.

Shogmaster likes this.