Apple makes Tablet PCs ? Give url ?

Discussion in 'Other Brands' started by SimsHsia, Jun 5, 2007.

1. lse123

lse123 Pen Pal - Newbie

Apple makes Tablet PCs ? Give url ? There are apple compatible tablets ?

2. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Apple does not make Tablets nor OS that takes advantage of tablet form factor. There is a 3rd party company called Axiotron that takes Macbooks and turns them into slate tablets using the same Wacom Penabled digitizer found in other TPCs (namely the 13.3" wide screen UART digitizer found in the Asus R1F). I think they charge around a grand for the conversion.

3. ShadowJester

ShadowJester I am that is.

The Modbook. It's done by Axiotron and it's a modification on the Macbook (not Macbook Pro, although I wish).

Some good news about it - pressure sensitivity has gone up to 512 levels of pressure sensitivity, which is the same as you would find on a Graphire tablet.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  4. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

According to Wacom tech support (who had to refer to an engineer), this is due to a new firmware released for the Penabled sensor boards. Apparently nothing has physically changed for the boards or the pens. Unfortunately for the owners of older Tablet PCs, the digitizer board firmware cannot be updated post manufacturing. It has to be done at the factory before assembly. So unless we get the sensorboard in our TPCs swapped out for a new one with the new firmware, the older TPCs are stuck with 256.

Now, this would probably mean that all the new TPCs coming off the assembly line after April (if the TPC OEMs do not have stockpile of old sensor boards) will all be getting the sensor boards with the new firmware. We should watch the specs pages of the various current TPC OEMs to see if the change happens there.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  5. BenI

BenI Pen Pal - Newbie

is there any news about the 512 levels?? its after april...

6. StarvingArtist

StarvingArtist Pen Pal - Newbie

Does anyone have any experience with these "Modbooks"

7. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

8. kebler

kebler Pen Pal - Newbie

Does anyone have the scoop as to why the modbook continues to get pushed back for delivery?

9. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

Hi kebler,

The link that I provided in my previous reply provides all, basically they are updating all orders to have a 512 level digitizer, instead of the 256 level digitizer that is found in most Tablet PCs available today.