Apple iPad: What a Difference Three Years Makes Discussion

Discussion in 'News Headlines' started by Ed Hardy, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy Editor, TabletPCReview Staff Member

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2014
  2. BigNerd

BigNerd Pen Pal - Newbie

As a sidebar to this, Apple (or Jobs) also thought there was no market for a smaller iPad... yet their iPad mini is probably selling more than their 10" iPad.

So Samsung was actually right in releasing their first Galaxy Tab as a 7" model... but at least Apple was quicker to adjust than other tablet makers (including MS who should have had a 7" Surface "mini" on their roadmap).

3. sonus911

sonus911 Scribbler - Standard Member

In fact to add on to that, I think Surface RT should have been a cheaper priced 7-8 inch model with Surface Pro staying its original size. MS missed the boat, and is paying for it with lost sales.

4. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Maybe, but including office is a major selling point, and at least for now the full office suite probably doesn't work too well on 7inch screens.

5. sonus911

sonus911 Scribbler - Standard Member

I owned an Archos 9, and an HP Slate 500, while you may be right about 7 inch screens, Office is great on 8.9 inch screens! I guess that's the screen size I would have liked to see.

6. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

With a mini touch cover? Personally I think they nailed the size. If only they'd taken $100 off the price and included a stylus I wouldn't be using a 500T. In the meantime I'll keep dreaming of a Surface Atom2 with pen, or a 1.5lbs Surface Haswell with 8h battery life.

Edit: Apparently there's a change that sonus911's dream will become reality. A link that Steve S dug up:
    http://www.windows8update.com/2013/...-open-to-the-idea-of-a-7-inch-surface-tablet/

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013