Apple confirm worst kept secret

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by doobiedoobiedum, Jun 22, 2020.

1. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The Air was never sold as a powerful laptop but it was pocket friendly to students who were told to buy a Mac for doing their graphic design work. It makes a whole lot of sense to have it "as-light-and-thin" as an iPad as that sells to students and people doing light computing on the go. (light in all senses)

Apple are going to have a hard time convincing discerning power users to buy an Intel Macbook right now - those of us old enough know that in 2 years you will be high and dry on an unsupported version of the OS or worse still - the power Apps you use won't be updated for Intel Apples anymore.
    The other challenge is Apple will be busy telling their hardcore (not the Windows users) buyers the amazing things that the A12z or A13 can do but also saying "here's an Intel Macbook for you in the meanwhile..."

There's a Pandemic going on, people have been furloughed or lost their jobs / business will be down for a while so that spare cash to throw at an interim Intel Macbook isn't going to fly. I'm hearing from more and more Developers that they are not buying an Intel in this time - the new ARM Macbooks will be where they spend in a year or so.

I eventually paid for Photo and Designer while they had the 50% price offer but I am finding it hard - everytime I try something I keep thinking how I would do it in Photoshop. For me - I can see the sense in solo artists / designers dropping Adobe as the price tag (read yearly subscription) takes a huge amount out of your yearly salary. Big studios however swapping large .psd files between desks will probably remain tied to Adobe.

I'd like to see Affinity do a fourth App with video and animation with the Apps working with each other across formats - then I would drop Adobe like a hot potato.

dellaster and thatcomicsguy like this.
  2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Something dawned on me, as a potential drawback to Apple moving away from Intel to their own Silicon. I was reading this article about the upcoming Thunderbolt 4/USB 4 standard that Intel will be launching...Apple the past few years has been riding Thunderbolt 3 more then anyone else, which is understandable given they co-developed it with Intel and have been using Intel chips. However the current Apple Silcon iPads with USB-C do not use Thunderbolt 3... I assumed that was merely because for the iPad Thunderbolt 3 is somewhat unnecessary given the limitations of iPadOS...but what if thats because they weren't using Intel for the iPads?

For the same reasons why AMD/Ryzen devices don't have Thunderbolt 3...What if in the fall when Apple releases the Mac on Arms device, would it have Thunderbolt 3 or 4, or just USB-C 3.2?

From my overall understanding, USB-4 will be basically Thunderbolt 3, and Thunderbolt 4 will be USB-4 on crack. Apple did sort of co-create thunderbolt with Intel, but with Apple more or less parting ways with Intel, would they still have access to upcoming Thunderbolt technologies? Apple did announce they were still developing Intel Based Macs for the immediate future, but that could simply be for leverage on Intel to continue the use of thunderbolt. And we are somewhat at the point of diminishing returns on the specs/speed of Thunderbolt 3 vs Thunderbolt 4, (as least to the average consumer), so they could rationalize the thunderbolt 3 standard is still more then sufficient.

With the Mac on Arms hitting in the fall and USB-4 being released sometime in 2021(?), Intel exclusivity for Thunderbolt 4 could be a great way to Microsoft/Intel to re-leverage the playing field. This is of course assuming that Microsoft does put out a Tiger Lake Surface Pro 8 with Thunderbolt 4. For as much as they foolishly avoided Thunderbolt 3, this could be their chance to correct that.

3. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Qualcomm was questioned about the same thing when 8cx launched:

(Anandtech)
    "When I questioned Qualcomm if something like Thunderbolt 3 was possible, they said that they don’t see why it wouldn’t be if an OEM wanted to make that configuration."

Basically right now, Thunderbolt 3 can be supported via the add-in controller, like it's done on a few AMD motherboards.

Once USB4 hits, TB3 support will be integrated into the USB controller:

(Thurrott)
    "So what USB4 will provide is what we see today via USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 ports, a single, reversible connector that can deliver power, display, storage, and peripheral connectivity at speeds of up to 40 Gbps. It will be backward compatible with USB 2.0, USB 3.2, and Thunderbolt 3, too."

4. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

JoeS likes this.
  5. RT545

RT545 Scribbler - Standard Member