Apple caught napping in 2020?

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by doobiedoobiedum, Sep 19, 2020.

1. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The new updates to Apple's iPad arrived this week but (to me) I am underwhelmed when these two models are seen against the progress Samsung has made with the S6 Lite right up to the S7+ range.

https://www.macworld.co.uk/review/ipad/ipad-air-2020-vs-ipad-102in-2020-3795311/

Last few years, tech reviewers praised Samsung but always finished reviews with where the Android store and Android itself fell down in comparison with Apple's store and how Apps worked and updated how they displayed from iPhone to iPad screen.

This year Samsung's DEX and growing support from more serious art Apps like Clip Studio as well as being some £200 (yeah - finally Samsung UK prices are close to US prices) cheaper almost across the whole like-for-like range means that Samsung have finally arrived. Apple's $ prices in Europe are still horrible when translated to our prices meaning we actually pay almost $300 more for the same equipment. Throw in Samsung's ports and mini-SD slot to physiaclly expand memory and you have a brilliant device.

The only thing is that Samsung and Google now need to support devices for more than two years - that's where Apple is still king.

There's a great bit in this Linus Tech Tips video where the revenue models are explained. Good video but if you skip to 13:15, that support and revenue model is expanded on.

Anyhow, even as an Apple user, I'm happy Samsung has caught up - competition is good and maybe Apple will either reduce prices to match or throw the Pencil in just as Samung throw their EMR stylus in for free. DEX shows what can be done on a clunky phone interface and this should also speed Apple's effort to make iPadOS more useable for multitasking or other simple tasks.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
    darkmagistric and dellaster like this.
  2. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@doobiedoobiedum, agreed. Real competition for Apple can only be good for us consumers. Keep it up, Samsung!

doobiedoobiedum likes this.
  3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I wouldn't say Apple was napping, if anything it was Samsung that just caught up to them. Apple already refreshed their iPad Pros last Spring when in reverse all Samsung had to show was the Tab S6 lite. Samsung gave their budget product for the spring and high end models for the fall, where Apple did the reverse.

The iPhones are just delayed from the sound of most rumors and will still be unveiled next month as well as the ARM Macbook most likely, and honestly, those two product lines are far more interesting then the blood/oxygen detecting Apple Watch or low/mid range iPad options.

4. doobiedoobiedum

To me, this is the same thing.
    Yesterday Apple were claiming that their iPads have CPUS which make them faster than all Android tablets and Chromebooks and today I can't find that text on the website anymore. (certainly on the UK Apple iPad pages)

5. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Apple's claims are specific to when and how they claim them.

Last Tuesday at the unveiling of the new iPad Air....they were very specific in how they worded that claim and make explicit mention the the iPad cpus were "Faster then the TOP SELLING Android Tablets and Chrome Books", cause face it the top selling android/chrome devices are almost certainly the cheapest, which would likely have poor specs. But when tech news sites report about the CPU, "Faster then the Top Selling Android Tablets and ChromeBooks" magically becomes "Faster then Android Tablets and Chromebooks."

6. doobiedoobiedum

I really think you're being generous to Apple still. I'm convinced Apple were asleep on the job this year and I think they felt nobody was going to catch up - that the App Store advantage would defeat Samsung's efforts on hardware. I'm reading a lot of Apple fanboys saying the S6 and S7 ranges are just copies of iPad but they are the type of person who will never test out a rival.

Dex really is coming of age against iPadOS, Clip Studio is enough to convince many that they should go with the cheaper Samsung model of whatever Apple variant as you get a free pen (for less) and a subscription to CSP still makes things cheaper than the equivalent iPad.

7. crazycat

crazycat Scribbler - Standard Member

Let's also mentioned that full version of Krita is also on Android for free with no ads, so it's a good alternative if you don't want to give in to the subscription mode. And the file system on android is a lot easier to use. With Surface Duo coming out in Android, MS will pay more attention on improving tablet mode Office apps. We can even use real desktop app with Dex. Android on tablet despite the disadvantages of app optimization is looking ready as a productivity device.

doobiedoobiedum and WillAdams like this.