App to Reformat 64GB microSD to FAT32

Discussion in 'Software' started by Ed Hardy, Jan 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy FORMER Editor, TabletPCReview Staff Member

I'm testing an accessory that is supposed to be able to read microSD cards larger than 32GB if they have been formatted in FAT32, so I have a 64GB/exFAT card I'd like to reformat with FAT32. Does anyone have any experience with this? Do you have an application you'd recommend? I'm nervous that I'm going to ruin a $40 card with this experiment.

I can find options on the Web, but I'm hoping someone can point me toward one they know works.

For example, there's Fat32Formatter:
    http://tokiwa.qee.jp/EN/Fat32Formatter/
    But I know nothing about how reliable it is.

I'd be doing the experiment on a Surface Pro 2 with Windows 8.1, if that makes a difference.

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

2. balistic

balistic wacom jock

It probably won't ruin the card, but it can decrease the lifespan or DRM-compatibility of it if you change the formatting of an SD card incorrectly. I would try the formatting app put out by the official SD Association first:

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

That said, I've used good-old-Windows to format SD cards to NTFS and had them last 4+ years with heavy use, so it's not like a death sentence to do it that way. The first step is to trick Windows into thinking the card is permanently-attached storage, which is something I haven't done since I was using XP, so I can't help you there.

3. Mikerman

Mikerman Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Ed Hardy likes this.
  4. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy FORMER Editor, TabletPCReview Staff Member

I did the reformatting with Guiformat or fat32format (I'm not clear what Ridgecraft Consulting calls it) and everything went perfectly.

Thanks for your help.

5. Mikerman

Mikerman Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Thanks for the report back--as I said, have only heard positive things about it.

Ed Hardy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.