App gap

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Kumabjorn, Dec 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

There is a lot of talk about Microsoft losing out on mobile because of the app gap to Android and iPhone. Now that I've actually owned a Windows Phone for a while, I'm here to report that it is even worse. I figured I would be able to keep things up to date between my SP3 and new phone by using the same OS. Well, well, well, what an idiot I turned out to be. I have some 40 odd apps installed from my account, turns out I can use about three of them on my phone.

Now I get that I have no use for the Surface app on my phone, but I also have a $100 Japanese dictionary collection that I would love to have on my phone. One that isn't available on iPhone or Android, a commercial product from one of Japan's largest publishing houses. Kind of like having a collection from Oxford, including OELD. So very cool. But alas, it is not available for my phone, although it does appear in my account. Now, this is a large app, so I installed a 64 GB card and changed my settings to install apps, music, everything to that card. Still no dice.

Creating disappointment after disappointment in its user base seems to be Microsoft's new business model. Kudos to your success.

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
    WillAdams likes this.
  2. sitongia

sitongia Scribbler - Standard Member

I sympathize with your disappointment. I'm trying Windows again (10, on the HP Envy 8 Note), and I'm again frustrated. I think Microsoft and other companies are creating really nice hardware, but Windows really falls short. Today's example is the Modern mail app (is it still called Modern?). I cannot create a new mail folder on the IMAP server from the app! Again and again, I see people expressing frustration like this, with a common refrain, how can Microsoft release software with such features missing? I keep trying Windows and then going back to the lesser of frustrations, OS X and iOS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.