App for a better touch experience on the EP121

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by lblb, Oct 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lblb

lblb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hey tromply,

The link still works for me also.

1) When you click on nthe link in the first post, it should get you to a mediafire.com page. If this is where it goes wrong, all I can tell you is to follow CF77's recommendation.

2) On the mediafire.com page, there should be a link called "Click here to start download from MediaFire..". If you left-click on it, your download should start automatically after a couple of seconds. If that's where you get an error, maybe instead try right-clicking on it and choose "Save as".

Like CF77 says, if that still doesn't work, just send me a personal message with your e-mail address and I'll send you the pdf.

Hope this helps.

2. lblb

After a lot of work, here is a drastically different v.2 of this multipanel app. It keeps the essence of the original but it is infinitely better (a least in my opinion!) I can honestly say that I can’t imagine not having this on my EP121 anymore.

Thanks for the few who left comments, it really helped to know what others thought could be improved.

Apart from a lot of cleaning up, bug fixes and the addition of many new useful functions, the main differences from v.1 are:

- Now works in both portrait and landscape orientations.
    - Icons everywhere! Replacing all that text in v.1 with icons makes this app much easier to use .
    - Option to start/stop it from an icon in the system tray.
    - There are now six panels. The two new panels are a simple scrollbar (I often just need a simple scrollbar without all the other stuff) and a very useful panel with four buttons: shutdown, restart, turn display off, start screensaver.
    - Much better and detailed instructions are provided.

The instructions are available here:

RawInputControl_MultiPanel_2_Instructions.pdf

You can download a zip file containing the app here:

Most recent version (uploaded Dec. 28; see post #43 for list of changes):

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?pxp1p3vkjgqnce9

Previous version:
    RawInputControl_MultiPanel_2.zip

The zip file for this app contains four folders (just look at the instructions to know what each is about):
    - Folder named RawInputControl_Multipanel_2: This is the app.
    - Folder named Firefox_Addons: Contains the Firefox add-ons that you need in order to make full use of the Firefox panel.
    - Folder named System_Tray_Icons: Contains all you need to easily create tray icons to start and stop the app.
    - Folder named iTunesControl: Contains the program iTunesControl that you can install in order to make full use of the Entertainment panel.

I hope some of you find this to be as useful for them as it is for me. Again, I’ll be more than happy to hear your suggestions and comments.

P.S. The app works in both screen orientations. However, sometimes the panels are not at the right place when you actually switch from one orientation to the other. In this case, just restart the app (which is very easy if you have a tray icon).

Here is a version for lefties:

Most recent version (uploaded Dec. 28):

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?1z13qsm1qn8qbaq

Previous version:
    http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?lwtd6i5kccouoel

3. hunter99

hunter99 To Old Now

lblb:
    Another great job, the icons are beautiful. As are the improvements and changes. Thank you.
    Really adds to the ease of use. Your pdf file is very helpful and makes changing the program for ones own
    use much easier. Thanks again for all your hard work.

Here is the method I use to add any file to the taskbar. They changed the way in Win7 as to what type of file
    can be dragged and pinned to the taskbar. This will add any file type as a short cut.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To Pin File to Taskbar

As an example to pin a .ahk file which is here-- C:\Program Files\AutoHotkey\RawInputControl_MultiPanel_2\RawInputControl_MultiPanel.ahk to
    the taskbar:

1. Create a place holder file (like a New Text Document).
    1a Run notepad, save the empty doc to the desktop with the name of file you wish to pin.
    EXAMPLE: RawInputControl_MultiPanel.txt

2. On desktop, rename the file from .txt extension to .exe extension.
    2a Click Yes on any warning.

3. Drag the extension onto the Windows Taskbar to pin it.
    EXAMPLE: RawInputControl_MultiPanel.exe

4. Go “C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar” where USERNAME is the username of the account you are using.
    4a Right click the new short cut that is there, click properties. Change "Target" to full path of file you wish to launch.
    Also "Start In" path.
    EXAMPLE: (short cut is named "RawInputControl_MultiPanel")
    Target = C:\Program Files\AutoHotkey\RawInputControl_MultiPanel_2\RawInputControl_MultiPanel.ahk
    Start In = C:\Program Files\AutoHotkey\RawInputControl_MultiPanel_2
    4b Change Icon if you wish.
    4c Click Apply , OK

6. Restart Windows to force the taskbar icons to refresh.
    (note--May take a few reboots over a few days.This one didn't, think it depends on icon location.)

7. Delete dummy exe file made in step 2 on DESKTOP.
    EXAMPLE: RawInputControl_MultiPanel.exe

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4. lblb

UPDATE:

- I have updated the pdf file of the instructions for v2 to include hunter99’s very useful trick. The updated file is available in post #12. Previously I had given instructions to obtain tray icons to start/stop the app. Following his instructions, you can now also pin the app (and the file to kill it) to your taskbar. I also corrected a few inconsequential typos in the pdf file.

- If you downloaded the zip file for v2 early after I posted it Monday, you may want to do the following quick verification (if you downloaded after Monday, everything should be ok). When you use this app to turn off the screen display or to start the screensaver by using the Controls panel, the app is programmed to do these tasks but also to close the Controls panel so that you don’t accidentally hit the shutdown or restart button when you wake the system up. If you downloaded the zip file for v2 early after I posted it Monday, this may not work properly. To test: turn the display off using the Controls panel. Then touch the screen to wake up the computer. The Controls panel should be minimized on wake up. If the Controls panel is still open after you did this, then you need to update. This is very simple. Download the zip file again. In the folder for the app that is already installed on your computer, swap the two .ahk files that are in the nircmd subfolder (the files are named DisplayOff.ahk and ScreenSaver.ahk) for the same files from the updated zip file that you just downloaded.

@hunter99:

Thanks for the good words. I’m glad to see that other people find it useful. For me the most important aspect is that once you understand how easy it is to modify, then you can adapt the app any way you want. It’s completely up to the user to decide to keep the whole thing or just a single button!

Thanks for the info on pinning files (not just programs that have an active window) to the taskbar, very useful! I actually tried before but didn’t get anywhere! I like that in typical Windows fashion you have to trick Windows into thinking it’s an exe file for your trick to work! I have updated the pdf file and added your instructions. Also, in the instructions I have included a link to “7 Taskbar Tweaker”, which is a very useful program when you start pining files to your taskbar (for example it allows you to remove the extra gap between pinned items).

5. jdswiney

jdswiney Pen Pal - Newbie

How are you getting it to work in ZBrush? It seems to be the only software I can't get it to work with. The panels become completely unresponsive.

6. jdswiney

jdswiney Pen Pal - Newbie

Never Mind I discovered because ZBrush is run in Administrator mode that the script must be also.

7. lblb

Hey jd,

I hope this app can be as useful to you as it is to me. Since I didn't optimize this multipanel app for use with drawing software, you may also want to just try out the original one-panel script which was developed for this kind of program. See the first post here:

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/ep121-slate/44844-found-you-great-tool-your-ep121-must-see.html

In any case, what makes this app really great in my opinion (whether it's the original one or the multipanel app) is that it's really easy to customize once you understand how it works. For example, see post #57 of the thread above for a nice example of optimization for Photoshop.

Cheers!

8. NateS

NateS Pen Pal - Newbie

Great job lblb,

Thankyou so much for all your hard work. Everything seems to work fine as far as I can tell the only thing I couldn't get to work is the Wifi and Bluetooth ON/OFF buttons. Those are buttons I would really like to get to work. I followed the instructions on your pdf and followed the links and the instructions on them. I am having issues on where to install the devcon file since the instructions are for Win7 and the folders mentioned are in other locations.
    My DEV_XXXX #'s match yours and I assume my BT ones do as well so I am assuming my problem is that I don't have that program installed in the right place.
    Again thanks for all of your hard work and any suggestions you might have

Cheers

9. lblb

Hey NateS,

There shouldn't be any problem getting those buttons to work. Before I look any further, can you just tell me if the buttons work right after you install the Multipanel App in the CORRECT folder?

The best way to see if they work:

For WiFi buttons: open up the Windows Mobility Center (which you can do by using the Settings panel of the multipanel app). When you turn off Wifi using the multipanel app, does it turn it off in the Mobility Center?

For Bluetooth buttons: When BT is on, there should be a blue BT icon in your system tray. If you turn off BT using the multipanel app, that icon should disappear or become gray. Note that turning off BT (either by using the app or by right-clicking on the tray icon) is not possible when there is a BT item (like the BT keyboard) that is connected.

10. NateS

NateS Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks lblb for your quick reply,

I double checked to make sure I installed the Multipanel App in my C:\Program Files\AutoHotkey folder. All of the other folders are in the AutoHotkey folder.
    I opened up the Mobility Center from the multipanel app and tried to turn it off using the panel Wifi off button. It launched a command window but nothing happened. The same is true when I tried the BT(I didn't know it wouldn't work with the keyboard connected so thanks for that info) after turning off my keyboard and it still didn't work.
    I really don't want to be a pain but if you have any other ideas I would really appreciate it.
    Thanks again

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.