App for a better touch experience on the EP121

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by lblb, Oct 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lblb

lblb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Edit: A much improved version 2 of this app is available for download at post #12 of this thread.

Hi,

I am looking for ways to get a better experience using the EP121 and touch input. And I would be happy to hear what others have to say!

I created an app based on the great AutoHotkey script that was reported here:
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/ep121-slate/44844-found-you-great-tool-your-ep121-must-see.html

Using this app, all kinds of functions are one press of a button away. The app has four small panels (that can be minimized):
    Panel to optimize (really!) the use of Firefox on this tablet
    Panel to facilitate text input
    Panel to use media players more rapidly
    Panel to change system settings.

The last panel has some really useful functions (all one touch away!) such as:
    Change screen orientation
    Change screen brightness
    Turn display off
    Change power plan
    Toggle WiFi ON/OFF
    Toggle Bluetooth ON/OFF
    And many others!

Anyway, I’ve been using this thing (and modifying it) for about two weeks and I seriously don’t know how I would use my EP121 without it. For me, this is the next best thing before maybe Windows 8 comes out.

If you are interested, I have uploaded a short pdf file describing its main functions and how to install it:
    FOR DOWNLOAD, SEE POST #12

The app can be downloaded here:
    FOR DOWNLOAD, SEE POST #12

Hope this can be useful to others! Don’t hesitate to write back with comments and suggestions.

Cheers!

2. BSkillz

BSkillz Pen Pal - Newbie

I love what you did with this App! Nicely done! I usually use my tablet in landscape though. You mentioned that you can set the heights of the panels, but I could not find the place where this is set in the coding.

3. harbime

harbime Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi lblb

Great work. You didn't stop at the just using the original app, but you went deeper and learned how to configure it to you needs, that's really great.

Sharing knowledge is always good for the all.

4. lblb

Hi BSkillz-

Sorry, my instructions were less than precise to say the least! Since I use this tablet mainly for editing and correcting pdf files, I am most of the time in portrait mode. I’m probably one of the only ones in this forum to do this!

The app can be used very easily with landscape orientation provided that you change the coding a bit, which is very simple. In the main folder that you extracted, the script named RawInputControl_Multipanel.ahk that you double-click to start the app isn’t really the app itself: it just starts the four files associated with the four panels. This actually means that if you don’t care for one of the panels, just open this AHK file in a text editor and delete the line concerning the panel in question.

To edit the panels, you actually need to edit the corresponding txt files in the Panels subfolder. So in the pdf instructions, when I say that some lines can/need to be modified, I refer to the txt file of the corresponding panel.

If you want to use the app in landscape mode, open the RawInputControl_Firefox_2.txt in your favorite text-editing software (preferably one that numbers the lines; I use Notepad++) and on line 19 change the window y-coordinate from 530 to 50. (You’ll probably want to do the same with the Settings panel on the right side of the screen.)

This should give you the correct placement in landscape orientation. I’ve used it like this quite a bit and it works great. However, these days (!) I find that like this the Firefox panel (which I use way more than all the others) is too high and I prefer having it at the bottom. To do this, now that you have changed line 19 as above, swap lines 15-20 between the Firefox txt file and the Text input txt file. Now the Firefox panel will start lower and the Text input panel will start above. (If you like things to be symmetrical (!), you can do the same with the two other panels on the right side.)

Another option would be to leave the Text input panel at the bottom but distribute the buttons more horizontally so that the Firefox panel could be lowered a bit. If you are interested in this, just tell me and I’ll try to modify it: should be pretty straightforward.

5. kylerk

kylerk Pen Pal - Newbie

This app really took my ep121 to a whole new level.

I've been getting into Zbrush sculpting and a lot of command modifiers are required to do different tasks. So it was seeming to be almost impossible to get a good workflow going without a keyboard.

But this app solves all my problems and more. I can now happily use Zbrush without a keyboard. I was actually able to go to an art gallery and sculpt while standing around with my tablet.

6. lblb

Hi kylerk,

I’m glad to know this app could be helpful. I’m also glad to know there’s a fellow Montrealer on this forum!

I especially like to use the app when I’m on the go to quickly turn off wireless and bluetooth, reduce the screen brightness and switch to a less demanding power plan. Having this right at the touch of a button has been really practical for me (it saves a whole lot of clicking around!)

I also took a look at your creations (http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/ep121-slate/45501-art-made-ep121-zbrush-tvpaint.html). Very impressive! I am not an artist but I am absolutely amazed that it’s possible to create such artwork on a portable tablet like the EP121! Some people on this forum have tremendous talent!

As you may have seen, the app is not really optimized for drawing programs. In fact, the original much simpler script may actually be better for this (see: http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/ep121-slate/44844-found-you-great-tool-your-ep121-must-see.html). But what I really like about this Autohotkey script is that it can very easily be modified. So don’t hesitate to play around with it and modify it at will (see post #4 above). If you need help customizing it to your needs, I’ll be glad to help you. Just write back on here.

In the meantime, if you are interested I could still post an updated version of the app. I didn’t get much feedback from when I posted the app in the first post above so I haven’t updated it (it takes a lot of time!) but I have significantly changed it since then. I’ve added some buttons here and there (and corrected those that didn’t work) and also reworked the arrow keys on the bottom left panel (they were very clumsily laid out in the version that is posted). More importantly, I’ve started replacing all that text on each button by icons: this alone has greatly increased my productivity with this app. Lastly, if you are interested, I now use a five-panel version that contains a super useful one for the pdf editor program PDF Revu.

7. CF77

CF77 Love Tablet. Senior Member

Would the work double if it auto set for landscape and portrait mode?/ Love to see that..

8. lblb

That’s a great suggestion CF77. Thanks! I’ll definitely try to make this work in the future. However, I am up to my eyeballs in grading exams and reports right now so that may not be very soon.

In the meantime, there is an imperfect but still ok solution. I know it’s not exactly great but it should work efficiently nonetheless. All you need to do is have two different multipanel apps installed, one for portrait and one for landscape orientation. This is actually very simple to do and you actually don’t have to make a copy of everything. Here is what you have to do if you’re interested:

- If you already downloaded the app, go in the Panels subfolder and make a copy of each one of the files that is in there (three files per panel, each panel has a .txt file, a .ahk file and a .exe file). Give the copies any name you want (the three files for one panel have to have the same name) and keep the copies in this same subfolder.
    - Now modify the .txt files of the copies according to the instructions in post #4 above so that these copies correspond to the landscape orientation.
    - In the main folder, make copies of the two files that are there (named Kill_RawInputControl_Multipanel.bat and RawInputControl_MultiPanel.ahk). By the way, you can name the original .ahk and .bat files and the copies any way you like and place these files anywhere you want on your computer.
    - Open these two copies of the .bat and .ahk files with a text editor and in there change the name of the four .exe files to the names of the .exe files of the copies that you just created in the Panels subfolder.

So what you can do now is, for example, use the original .ahk file to start the portrait orientation of the multipanel app. If you change the screen orientation, just kill the app with the original .bat file and start the landscape orientation with the new .ahk file (which can be killed with the new .bat file). I know it’s not perfect but it should work for now.

9. tromply

tromply Pen Pal - Newbie

I can't get the PDF to download. Anyone have any suggestions? When I click on the link, all it does is open up a popup page about women's or men's health... :confused:

10. CF77

CF77 Love Tablet. Senior Member

The link is ok..you better scan your computer for web site hijacking. If you want a copy ..send PM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.