Apocalypse Incoming: Am I about to buy an iPad?

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by Shogmaster, Jun 9, 2019.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Pencil does work well with OneNote. The iPP11 has a little more drag on the Pencil than the iPP10.5 (reason I believe it is the screen is because I am using the same nib for both pens from a refill pack), but still more slippery than either N-Trig or EMR. But the ink flow and responsiveness is better than anything but Wacom EMR, so it should serve you well.

dellaster and djas like this.
  2. djas

djas Graffiti User

I thought ON on iPad supports simultaneous audio recording while inking? Apparently, it doesn't or I might overlooked a setting or something?

PS: Inking works very well, I'm liking it. Brought the 12.9 to Tokyo and is trialing it in lieu of my Note 10 for notetaking duties. Love the power of OneDrive glueing all devices together. Wonderful.

The 12.9 feels huge though. It dwarf my Surface 3 side by side.

3. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

This is the closest I've seen in years to a hardcore PC guy finally "getting" what the iPad is about.

Azzart likes this.
  4. nyb72

nyb72 Scribbler - Standard Member

Been using iPad because of job change.
    Ugh... Pencil, so slippery and loud. Handwriting is definitely far worse. I finally broke down and got an Elecom screen protector to have some teeth to drag upon when I ink. It's better but not great.
    Last night I went back to the Book and did some drawing on EMR, it's just remarkably better.

5. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

My only gripe with the iPad Pro currently it's the inability to effectively use an external display.
    As for the rest, I'm glad I don't have to worry about being careful getting my Surface Book 2 out sleep because it falls into blue screen every time ot wakes up already attached to the external displays.
    My life as an illustrator is just easier.

doobiedoobiedum likes this.
  6. nyb72

Are you okay with the pressure sensitivity in OneNote and Pencil? Is there some sort of setting I'm missing somewhere? I feel like I have to press unnaturally hard to get any variation in a penstroke.

OneNote on the Book is a world of difference to me. I almost feel like the Pencil feels like the Synaptic pen from my Dell VP8 (and yes, my pen actually worked)

7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Sorry - don't use pessure sensitivity in OneNote - makes my notes to large of files for sharing.

8. nyb72

I've declared my iPad/Mac experiment to be over. After two months of real-work usage, my new job is okay with my requisition for a windows machine. It looks like I can get a Surface as an option, so I'm jumping on that opportunity.

Despite the promise of iPadOS, I still can't get efficiently onboard with it's multitasking capabilities. I need, multiple windows... REAL multiple windows as I work on multiple projects. Which means I have to carry around a MacBook Pro too to get productivity stuff done. And I've found I miss the touch screen, as I've used it on the GB12 much more than I realize. So the portability of the iPad Mini 5 is all for naught with carrying two devices. And there's the stupid Pencil recharging, which always seemingly wants to need a boost every time I have a critical need for taking notes. I have to write carefully during meetings because that damn glass clicking is so fricking loud. And then I have to put a screen protector with teeth and it dulls the screen. There's having to carry a lightning cable just for the iPad. And of course, Apple doesn't want to cannibalize anything, so they're probably not going to make a MacBook convertible which would suit my use case.

Despite my misgivings on N-trig, I'm pretty excited to see what the Surface can do. /rant

artistebot likes this.
  9. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Right? I'm not crazy about having people glance over because of the furious clicking/tapping sounds coming from my direction..

artistebot and nyb72 like this.
  10. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

I totally agree in regards to iOS. IMHO it does not have proper "multitasking". And yeh, the Pencil works great but is heavy and needs charging at awkward times.
    The iPad pro hardware seems so great, except iOS is so bad for productivity. I hope Apple is forced to add convertible/touch/pen to their OSX laptops, but i am not holding my breath.

Good luck w N-trig, it has its own problems, but it might work for you. Please post your impressions.

For me, the Zbook X2 has been the best solution so far. Yeh, it is heavy w ****ty battery life, but the Pen is EMR, and its preferences options are almost the same as actual Wacom.

Cheers

JH

nyb72 likes this.