Apocalypse Incoming: Am I about to buy an iPad?

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by Shogmaster, Jun 9, 2019.

1. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

So that's why my "great deal" Pencil 1 from eBay is useless! It holds a charge for, like, 10 minutes!

Tell me, oh Apple fanboys and fangirls: If you leave the pencil in a charging cable separate from the iPad, will it run down the battery being in constant full charge mode, except when used - for me, 2-4 times/week, for anywhere from 1-3 hrs per day. The main question I have about this, and so many inconvenient, unconventional (in a bad way), and totally counterintuitive ways in which Apple devices and accessories function:

WHY??????

2. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

The latest months of life of my first gen iPad Pro I ended up never using the Pencil at all since I used my Gakaxy Book 12 all the time for drawing and guess what? When I sold it the Pencil was as good as day one.
    It's just a matter of treating things well.

3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I've had my Pencil v1 for 2 years.....at full charge it does last alot longer then 10 minutes. The issue I believe is physically moving the pencil wakes the pencil up.....so keeping it stowed in the pencil case I got for my new Mini 5....will knock the battery down alot faster.

The simplest fix.....disable Bluetooth.....you still have to plug the pencil in, but it will retain the full charge it was left as.

lovelaptops likes this.
  4. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Was it a genuine pencil? One of my students bought a brand new one off Amazon, it wouldn't pair and I told her to send it back as a probable fake and go to the Apple Store in Glasgow instead.
    Same price and a day out in Glasgow for her and she's got a working pencil.

lovelaptops likes this.
  5. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Thanks. So, keeping it fully charged is ok? Or does it have to be unplugged from the power charging source, and just kept from having bt connection and from moving?

The box appeared so real and the seller had a long 100% reputation for selling. Could the Apple Store tell me right away if it's a fake? Since I don't have the new receipt, I thought I would bring it in and say it was a gift and hopefully if it was sold less than 1 yr ago they might honor the wtty and replace it. Make sense, or a waste of time?

6. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Aside from Paring or Charging it, my Apple Pencil is seldom ever plugged. Keeping it fully charged is fine, so long as the Bluetooth is disabled.

As far as fakes go......Unless you buy it from Apple or a reseller like Best Buy, I'd always skeptical on anything I snag on ebay or amazon....no matter how legit it looks.

I wanted a spare surface pen for my Pro 5 a few months ago....found a silver one off Ebay.....New condition for $45.....was skeptical.....but it was a good reviewed seller....so I bought it.....the Box...looked exact the same as Microsoft....pen looks the same......but its not the same.....it definitely doesn't perform as well as my other Pro 5 pen....it looks the same....but no matter what nib I use....its slightly off compared to my other one. It could be a legit pen and just a lemon.....but I'm pretty certain it was just a really well done knock-off. But given Apples command of the 3rd party accessory market....I'd imagine Apple knockoffs would be far more plentiful and likely then other brands.

7. djas

djas Graffiti User

Been reading up on iPadOS. Nice! Looks like it can do what I do on my Note 10 (2014) with the added benefit of more modern hardware. But with no cellular voice capability right? I can override that with my Skype credit I reckon. The new Safari handle WhatsApp web?

Pencil works well with OneNote?
    I have so many questions.... :)

8. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

The old safari already does. Long press the reload icon and select :”Request desktop site”. You’ll have to do that every time you open the shortcut though.

djas likes this.
  9. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm afraid I agree 100% there. The lure of a cheaper version of an expensive accessory will always attract fakes and copies. Some things I just wouldn't buy "new" or "near new" on Ebay. As my student's experience showed - Amazon has its share of fakes. Customer complaints are the only way of keeping it as near honest as possible.

I'm in Europe so consumer protection will probably be different but first I would contact the seller, he or she may have unknowingly sold you a dud and even without a receipt you would have a record of the Ebay purchase transaction. First port of call as an unhappy buyer would be to get an exchange or money back.
    If that doesn't work then you should go through the Ebay complaints process - a 100% seller doesn't want to lose that or even be blocked by Ebay.
    It would be worth taking it to your nearest Apple store - without your receipt though you'd have to show your digital transaction to claim on a warranty.

10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

[​IMG]

Sorry, just couldn't help poking my fellow traitor in training. Sounds like a defective pencil to me - could it be a fake - I guess so, but I've been very lucky (knocks on wood) on eBay with not getting fakes, but I have gotten some devices that were rejects/defects and the seller took them back and refunded my money. My experience with both my iPP 10.5 and iPM5 was about a week or so before battery ran down; in 15-20 seconds got at least a half-hour writing time. No way to tell with my iPP11 because it is constantly connected when not in use. FWIW - the rechargeable pen with the HP is no better at holding a charge.