Apocalypse Incoming: Am I about to buy an iPad?

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by Shogmaster, Jun 9, 2019.

1. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Good grief.

Too-small batteries?

If I was Chief Engineer, and we absolutely HAD to use batteries, I'd put a decent battery in the pen along with a super-cap; a hybrid power system so that the user could get going immediately after a five second charge, (and maybe get a couple of hours of drawing in before needing to top up), -and wouldn't be completely stuck when the battery eventually failed over time.

How is reliable power not in the top five priority list of engineering tasks on a project like this?

2. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Any rechargeable battery would die or at least suffer an important loss of capacity if you leave it with 0 charge for weeks or even months.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  3. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Sure, but rechargeable AA's (from Duracell and Energizer) manage to hang on shop racks for months at a time with no trouble. Sounds like bad engineering to me that a pen would die within a year or two. -Like the electronics were drawing a micro current without being officially 'On'. That sounds like Apple through and through.

EMR is probably a lot more difficult to get right, since it requires screen manufacturers to work within tight specs provided by the pen company and it requires a lot of extra electronics and programming to get right between different parts makers.., but batteries just annoy.

4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Late to the party as usual: :oops:

The Pencil 2 really is better than 1, but I think it is the iPP 11 screen as much as the nib. It will never be as smooth as EMR with the soft squishy nibs, but yo do get used to it, and it lays down ink beautifully. As for #2, just wait six months for son of Brydge (Brydge 2) based upon iPadOS, it's inevitable...(PS - the Apple keyboard really is better to type on than the MacBook butterflies, but lack of backlighting and more flexibility in screen angle would make it tough for you). And as for that total weight argument - I've been on record the same as you, BUT that thinking necessitates having to have two devices - a tablet and a laptop.

Brydge2.jpg

Tapping on the barrel of the Pencil 2 is awkward at first but becomes second nature.

:eek: Welcome aboard the traitor train...:p
    Actually Jeff you are one rev away from where you want to be. I am fully convinced iPad OS 2 (if not 1.x) will add near full support for the mouse, including a proper pointer, and as pointed out above, Brydge 2 will give you the convertible MacBook Apple SHOULD HAVE produced 3-4 years ago.

Ditto my comments to Jeff.

Gentlemen (and ladies), we are witnessing Apple's takedown of the tablet market on the way to owning the high end consumer/prosumer laptop market.
    • Google is out; Amazon has the low end; and Samsung has NO cohesive strategy except to throw as much as they can into a plastic Android device at 80% of the iPad price...not a winning solution.
    • Microsoft's iOS apps are far superior to their Android effort; equals to their UWP-type counterparts on a Windows device; and edging ever closer to parity with the desktop (not to mention many features appear there first).
    • All the good software is iOS first (and better UI).
    • Apple Pencil 2 leapfrogged N-Trig/AES in only its second generation - 9ms latency...
    • A12x (and its almost a year old) has more power than most laptops - what will A13x bring
    • iPadOS - they are finally throwing off the last of Jobs' shackles.
    • Battery life; WiFi connectivity; LTE connectivity; INSTANT on/off - all runs circles around anything from the Windows camp (much less Android).
    • Brydge/Logitech 2, with trackpads, will deliver the final blow to the laptop advantage.
    If this were truly a bulleted checklist of advantages, it would be miles longer since I combined many similar attributes in these bullets. I am not saying Apple will own the entire tablet/laptop market - if you have less than $600 to spend, or are editing 30 minute 4k videos, you'll have substantially different needs. But they will own the most profitable swath of the market, just like they do with iPhone...:cool:

JoeS and dellaster like this.
  5. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Because those are full.
    The problem rises when you store for a long time a battery that's already discharged.
    AND
    You have to properly turn the pen off or it will turn on again as soon as it's moved consuming charge.

Let's also consider the battery of the Pencil is at least half the capacity of one for the Surface pen but outputs 3.8 volts instead of the usual 1.2-1.5 of a AAAA battery.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
    lovelaptops likes this.
  6. crazycat

crazycat Scribbler - Standard Member

The problem with Apple pencil is that:

-there is no off button or led light to let user know if the pencil is turned off. Sometime even turn off bluetooth does not turn off the pencil, users have to go through some steps to unpair and actually turn it off, and even then we are still not sure if it's actually off.

-the fact that they use a smaller battery with higher voltage show that they clearly expect user to replace within 1-2 years

--> that lead to Apple Pencil being high-maintenance. It took many dead Apple Pencils and users have to figure out how to turn off the Apple Pencil on their own without any instruction from Apple. Not everyone use Apple Pencil everyday, for example I only use it on weekend for coffee shop, but I have to check the battery everyday to be sure it's not dying. With EMR we could leave the house for months and come back with it still working.

7. dstrauss

@crazycat - I understand and agree, but Wacom EMR is slowly disappearing as a tablet/laptop option so it's just not a good comparison to what we have for choices in the mainstream.

8. djas

djas Graffiti User

Back home for the weekend. This year I received two hand-me-down devices:

1. A 2nd Gen iPP 12.9" from the Mrs who upgraded to a Mini 5 (& loving the portability) &
    2. An Asus Vivotab Note 8 from my sister.
    I re-purposed the AVN8 as my flight entertainment/work journal. EMR is a joy to use especially when you are a Galaxy Note user a well. However, I am at a lost on what to do with the iPad. Any suggestions? I've used Macs at work but have no clue about iOS. It is currently serving as our Skype machine in the kitchen.

TIA

9. dstrauss

You might want to wait on how to re-purpose the iPP12.9 until iPadOS comes out in September - you may have an "almost MacBook 12" on your hands...

djas and JoeS like this.
  10. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

Great discussion.

• I have been pretty firm in my needs that the "portable art tablet" it has to use EMR, as it is the form of input I will use 90% more than any other when using the device. So it dam well better be good.
    • I will admit the few times I have used the Apple Pencil for paintings I did get "used" to it.
    • It seems like the Apple pencil will need maintenance, I am thinking in the long term it needs to stay plugged in with the tablet.
    • In comparison to ERM Pens, I hate the Apple pencil ergonomics. hard, round, top heavy, plus the tip is too thick. But a person could get used to it.
    • Pencil 2 does have the "Side tap" that is nice, but it typical "Apple Way" hard to find. Maybe an easy fix with a sticker..?
    • IPadOS, hallelujah. Could be better, still no proper multi-windows, WTF Apple!
    • That new IPadPro Keyboard looks awesome, plus with the new Pencil 2 and IpadOS I find it more attractive than before.

I think I am still going to wait and see. I am looking at the Acer Switch 13 as a decent interm power device for my needs...maybe? My kids have Samsun Chromebook Pro's and they find Infinite Painter quite functional. Still looking into it and w a possible price drop in the ~$600 range much cheaper than the IPP+ bits.

#1 It still costs tons of $ and what I have already is good enough for now. Also count in of Subscription Fees!
    #2 I expect the Pencil to be consumable because of the battery, so a new one every ~2 years?
    #3 I think a year after full photoshop is out on iOS is when I might reconsider. Hopefully by then IpadOS usage in production has been proven. Maybe improved with proper multi window and touch pad support, but not holding my breath.
    #4 Until Apple recent released of the awesome new Mac Pro I had almost no hope of any new development in iOS/Ipad. Now just maybe hopefully "possible" sooner rather than later/never.

lovelaptops likes this.