Apocalypse Incoming: Am I about to buy an iPad?

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by Shogmaster, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Affinity Photo too is great if you want an advanced painting software on the iPad, more so if you have to work directly in cmyk.
    I don't know why it's so snobbed by the artistic community

2. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Also there's nothing as powerful as A12xbionic in the android realm

3. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Sorry, but that just makes no sense at all. This forum has always been a haven for people who want the very best, to improve on "what is" with "what could/should be." It's not about being an "Apple device;" it's about being a deficient device that can be made better, and make me happier. I don't want a Windows device anymore. I want an Apple device (lord, don't strike me down!), but I want it "My Way"

I can see that many of my TPCR buddies have - better than I - explained to you the error of your thinking. Please don't be offended. It's just a think we've had going here for a long time; join in. There must be something you wish you could have on your iPad too! :newpalm::thumbsup:

doobiedoobiedum and siddhartth like this.
  4. crazycat

crazycat Scribbler - Standard Member

Having used the "budget" combo of Ipad 6th Gen and Pencil 1 for a while, here are some of the issue I get with the Ipad:

-Buying spare Apple Pencil is not recommended. According to Ifixit, the Li-ion battery inside the pencil is quite small, if the pencil left uncharged for so long, it drain to 0% and if leave at 0% for so long, the battery will be permanently dead. Many user had problem about their pencil was used a bit then keep in the box for 6-12 month, then after they take it out it's dead and long passed warranty.

-File management is a pain, I have to go thought a lot of step just to send a png file to my client.

-32 GB is not enough, buy the 128 GB version. My 32 GB ipad only have art app and 1 game, with all art being kept on the cloud but 23 GB was already taken up. The IOS system size keep expanding over time (it was 4GB when bought new and now turned into 16GB) and i tried many method but only a full reset seem to be effective. My 16 GB Iphone with almost no extra app got filled mostly by the IOS system and even after resetting, the "system" size still getting fat very quickly.

-Another thing that is probably just me, but I don't find Apple Pencil drawing as good as EMR, at least on my Ipad 2018. There is still bit of wavy, not too bad just similar to to some bad EMR configuration of older tablet PC. In Medibang or Sketchbook, turn up stabilizer to 2-5 and it's a non issue, but it's terrible in Procreate. I don't know if it's just Procreate, but the wavy-ness is apparent and the line keep running even after pencil is lifted, causing lots of fish-hooking line, a shame for a paid app. Also pencil tip is too big and it's not as comfortable to draw with as EMR pen, and most app still lack keyboard shortcut support. I still find drawing with my XP Pen 15.6 give me much better control than the Ipad.

artistebot, batty and thatcomicsguy like this.
  5. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I could not agree more.
    In order of satisfaction-
    1. EMR systems
    2. Apple Pencil
    3. Wacom AES
    4. NTrig

Even though Apple Pencil is the second best - It's still a very distant 2nd. Not necessarily because of the digitizer, but mostly because of the design of Apple pencil and iPad display. The thickness of the nib and the hard slippery plastic. I also believe, a nano textured/etched glass on the display on iPad will really help in friction, but that's secondary. Apple pencil needs to change a lot before being satisfactory.

artistebot and thatcomicsguy like this.
  6. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

LOL, as a long time Apple user I'm way past ever getting offended. I remember when the whole internet (including people who at the time were never going to get a Mac) thought Mac users were crazy just because Apple stopped supporting Flash. It wasn't funny popping your head up on some technical forums to say you had a Mac.
    Look where we are now.

I have no problem with that. I apologise if my posts sound "testy" - I'm amused really. I just got used a long time ago with "why can't Apple stop being Apple and just make Windows devices?" so when a wishlist starts to duplicate those sentiments, I'm amused. Apple are love/hate - very little in between.
    Basically I believe in choice - if a device does what you need then buy it, whether it's a Lenovo with brilliant typing experience or a Cintiq Pro 24 with perfect colour gamut and scale for drawing. It's the multi-purpose devices where problems lay - the old saying "a camel is a horse designed by committee" can affect good products which try to satisfy too many different "market wants." Ignore the brand and buy what works best for you.

Bigger screen. Always a bigger screen. Different nibs of different hardness / softness on the pencil and a handbook on all the touch and gestures that are available.

7. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

On the note of cursors-
    Personally, I don't feel a need for a cursor for pen and touch input. Yes, a cursor can be of value with a pen for many clever and useful ways of accessing info while hovering, but I don't find it essential-- particularly if the pen input goes where it should. I suppose its a matter of preference.

What I do find practically essential for efficient professional use is a cursor while typing and using a device as a laptop. And, yes, this is what people also want to do with their ipads. There are a key assortment of functions that are very useful as a keyboard user, for which I would love a cursor/trackpad-- pull down menus, selecting text, cut and paste, using Office, shifting functions from program to program while typing, etc.. Could I do it all with touch, or by grabbing a pen for finer, cursor-like input? Yes, eventually. But that is clearly a very clumsy approach to a task that would be more easily fulfilled with the use of a trackpad.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  8. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Not having tried the Pencil 2 I would guess my order would be
    1. EMR systems
    2. Wacom AES
    3. Apple Pencil 1
    4. NTrig

Edit: just tried Apple Pencil 2 for a bit. That's a massive improvement over the first one. Actually kind of pleasant to hold, way lighter, way less slippery, charging mechanism not hilariously bad. Not entirely sure if it's better than Wacom AES but it seems to be at least on par. Nice.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  9. WhenUtry

WhenUtry Pen Pal - Newbie

My sister's experience was the same, really regretted that one.

10. crazycat

crazycat Scribbler - Standard Member

True. That is biggest cons that keep me from truly like Apple pencil . I was lucky enough to get it back on after a weeks of not using it. Others probably didn't have this problem because they use it everyday, but once you forget to charge it and it become a problem.

There is no easy way to replace battery, the Pencil is high-maintenance with tiny battery, and the fact that Apple give no warning about how to maintain it make the pencil look like something with a short expire date.