Apocalypse Incoming: Am I about to buy an iPad?

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by Shogmaster, Jun 9, 2019.

1. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

I really have become convinced to move from Windows to IOS, and that's been a very hard thing for me to do after 38 years of using PCs and never adopting an Apple product except for brief periods of time. So, here's my problem, and I try and try to get around it but can't work it out in my head:

I really need a clamshell-type form factor or I'm stuck in that two device bind. I'm happy with a (thin and light) 2-in-1 like a Yoga, happiest with a fully detachable keyboard (like a SB, or numerous others, including the best of the SP clones, including the SP itself.) The reason is that I do a lot of typing and my daily driver needs to be good for that. Using the IPP involves too many sacrifices when it comes to typing - including no cursor. I'm really not sure why they couldn't/wouldn't make an IOS driven device that was essentially an IPP with a true keyboard - either detachable or Yoga-like. MBPs are way more expensive, heavy and at this point don't support a stylus. I completely reject the idea that having such an option destroys either "choice" as it is being suggested about simply having a cursor and mouse, or that what I seek is "what Macs are for," because you don't get the tablet-only option, the battery life, the portability or the app ecosystem.

I also don't understand why Apple moves so glacially slow evolving their product line - such as how long it took to bring out the "iPad OS," which is still very limited in functionality, how still-primitive the Pencil is, after 2 versions - given their literally unlimited resources with which to develop products. I of course have no data to support this, but I have virtually zero doubt that evolving the iPad line as I am suggesting would very substantially increase their sales volume/market share in the computing device marketplace. Pisses me off, because I've come all the way to the point of wanting to make this transition (Windows to IOS) and I just can't, without drastically harming my productivity. What genius decided that slates are the *only* form factor the world needs to get its work done???

Sorry for the long rant, but I couldn't be more serious or sincere about this. I'm really happy for the artists among us, but you represent perhaps 10% of the market for computing devices.

2. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Notebook 9 seems like a perfect device for you. As far as Apple Pencil and iPadOS is concerned I have only two words - growing pains. iPad pro will not become good enough for typing or any text-based work in the near future. Apple's lack of determination about making it a real text editing machine is demonstrated by the fact that the official apple keyboard doesn't even have backlit keys. To be honest, real plan of Apple is to wait for the generation who was dependent on clamshell form factor to die-off and then they will just have to cater to the generation who have grown up on tablets using primarily touch. I don't think an ipad based primary workflow is a realistic possibility for you. But may be you can come up with workarounds for your use case which make it worth the effort.

What I meant to say was-
    Microsoft is a slave to the market analyses, it'decisions are based on trends instead of a thought out vision or ideology. It also as an organisation is a blind believer in the cult of multi-tired paywalls that hide it's innovations hidden from the multitudes of it's paid yet somehow "non professional" "home" customers. This uncontrolled greed of Microsoft will be their undoing If Satya Nadella fails to stream line it and reform the company culture.

They gave people a restricted, non penabled hardware with WindowsMobile and Windows RT hoping people will fall for it, instead of actively trying to improve these platforms, and making them worth it for the end users. Personal DRM free libraries that was so inherent to iPod and Android experience was an impossibility on windows mobile. Because, they wanted to make people pay for zune too while selling them restricted hardware. There's still no Windows 10 version that is lite enough to sustainably run on an ARM tablet. They have backtracked on the idea of a windows RT or lite so many times now that users just don't have any faith in Microsoft to deliver anything nearly as smooth and functional as iPadOS on a hardware as capable and polished as ipadpro.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
    lovelaptops likes this.
  3. violajack

violajack Scribbler - Standard Member

@lovelaptops If your main task is typing, you could try my solution of shifting the tablet obsession over to collecting classic thinkpads. ;) They're a dream to type on, like nothing else.

I'm finding the combination of a really great laptop keyboard, with a separate thin and light tablet with a great pen to really be the only way to do it. Anything else is too much of a compromise on one aspect or another. Although I have to say, the logitec keyboard cover I have for the iPad Pro comes pretty close to making that thing a computer. Key travel and feedback are on par with lenovo's newer chicklet keyboards. The kickstand makes it function much like a surface. It's really bulky and heavy though, but a 12.9" iPad with a case is only going to be so small and light. That sits on a music stand so it doesn't really matter.

My yoga book c930 is the closest compromise I've found, as the eInk display is an okay keyboard in a pinch, or a flat writing surface when I need scratch paper, while keeping the main screen unobstructed. I have access to full onenote when needed. I just set a nice BT keyboard on top when I really want to type. The main compromise that one falls to is the simple problem of not having a big screen. But of course, if it had a big screen, the whole thing would be too big.

Since I've got the small side of equation covered, I'm currently watching a ridiculously overkill for my situation Thinkpad W550s.

4. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

This.

An quality convertible laptop of some sort with pen input and an excellent keyboard is hard to replace. If you need to type a lot. Lapability, and all kinds of other weird locations, is essential for me. Yet a tablet is critical. The combo works great together, both because they each serve different functions better than the other (typing and desk work versus mobile pen work), and because they work really well together. It's great to type away and have a tablet next to my laptop- as reference for notes, etc. This is by far the best combo I've come across.

dstrauss and lovelaptops like this.
  5. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

So you want this:

:D

artistebot and lovelaptops like this.
  6. Cuberdon75

Cuberdon75 Scribbler - Standard Member

Just look at that. This thing is so obviously silently *screaming* for a trackpad at this point, it's not even funny.

lovelaptops and JoeS like this.
  7. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm minded of the Apple iPad Mini Wishlist thread... one poster wanted a silo, EMR and a few other things - so I asked him why not just get a Samsung Galaxy Note? Why wish for an Apple that was just a copy of the galaxy note?

Same on this thread - if you want a tablet with cursor and keyboard with trackpad that you like - there are plenty good Windows tablets on the market. Why demand the one different tablet (that many typists have been using successfully) change and be just like all the others?

I still don't understand why people want an Apple device that isn't an "Apple device?"

8. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

In short....Clip Studio Paint

The closest thing Android has is Medibang Paint....and even that pales before Clip Studio. So in any debate of Android vs iOS.....Clip Studio (and soon full photoshop) put iOS considerably in the lead.

Now verses Windows......compared to the iPad Mini 5....no Windows device came really match it on all the terms of Power/Portability/& Pen Performance...on a 6.1mm form factor. And even if you could get a Windows device that thin....its doubtful it would run CSP as well as the mini5 does.

lovelaptops and batty like this.
  9. Cuberdon75

Cuberdon75 Scribbler - Standard Member

Probably because these differences between brands have to do with specific corporate strategies that are highly debatable, and not what's technologically feasible at any given time. It's natural to want to combine the new technologies on offer across various brands into a "perfect device" according to one's tastes and needs.

10. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You can set a cursor in CSP on iPad - it won't float like a normal Windows computer but maybe that can help people make the leap.

Doesn't the CSP interface get in the way at that size?

I get that - and I'm not rubbishing you or your argument - but plenty of artists and designers have already been using a range of apps on the iPad and new ones (full(fish) Photoshop are coming but they are hopefully adapting to the interface to create new ways of working rather than trying to mimic the desktop experience.
    Anyhow, I have read the possibility that Apple will support mice (and by default a cursor) in the first or even 2nd iPadOS to come out soon. I honestly think it's a step backward and I really hope we don't end up losing what the iPad fostered when programs like Procreate have genuinely embraced the format and made it work.

----EDIT----

On the lines of Procreate - anyone with an iPad and pencil (even without pencil) who likes to dabble in animation should take a serious look at Flipaclip for example. Even the free version does things in an iPad touch interface that just aren't possible in paid for apps for desktops. My 9 year old daughter animates on my PC laptop / my MacBook and on my iPad - she's far more ambitious on the iPad and she can record and edit her own sound and voice for her animation in ways that she just can't on a desktop. She can also edit and change the animation so much more easily.
    She just isn't bothered by a lack of cursor on the iPad.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019