Apocalypse Incoming: Am I about to buy an iPad?

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by Shogmaster, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

The Pencil isn't exact enough for say manipulating anchor points without a cursor. Same goes for AES as well.

If all Apple wants Pencil to do is approximate how real world pencil would behave when you sketch, lack of cursor is not a big deal. But as iPad OS and iPads expand their capabilities, it will benefit from a cursor option.

Also hovering is a very useful thing for many reasons, both OS wise and app wise.

bloodycape likes this.
  2. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

artistebot and WillAdams like this.
  3. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Are you serious? o_O

4. Shogmaster

Ya.

5. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

This tells me you haven't tried it or you haven't seen the growth and popularity of vector drawing and design apps on the iPad.
    Anyhow, have you got any examples where designers demonstrate that they can't use the iPad for vector work?

6. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

I used Clip Studio, because in Affinity Designer control points in curves are larger so it would have been just too easy a demonstration.

doobiedoobiedum likes this.
  7. Shogmaster

Well then! I guess I was told!

JoeS and doobiedoobiedum like this.
  8. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You can never put a good man down though. I also really really think you need to put desktop thinking aside.

9. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The problem with companies like Microsoft is not that their R and D cannot make good software, or a good hardware, the problem is that their corporate department is only interested in how to make themselves a quick buck. The problem is not that they don't have the solutions, the problem is either they don't have an ideology or lack the conviction to stay true to it.

There were enough dreamy eyed hardworking individuals at Microsoft who's hard work resulted in a unprecedented software like the OneNote 2016, in ground breaking hardware like the first Surface pro, one of the best looking phone OS like Windowsphone. I will demonstrate my point with examples-

• Microsoft's Engineers knew how to integrate a pen digitiser with a touchscreen well before when the first Surface was released which ran on RT. But somebody in their corporate department decided it will be very smart if they make their first signature touch device without a pen. So, that they can later sell a touch enabled pen enabled Surface pro running Full windows professional for $300 more. This sent a very specific and clear message to every fanboy customers who bought the first Surface, willingly letting go of their itunes library, the message was this - gotchya you poor sucker if you were anybody important enough, you would have bought the real deal the Surface pro.
    • It's not the developers but the Microsoft itself who created the app gap, while software engineers of Microsoft were working hard and suceeding in making a phone OS thar can run as smoothly on a $50 Chinese phone as it runs on the latest Samsung flagship, some wise guy in their corporate office decided they should charge OEMs a licensing fee for an OS that isn't even beta ready, trying to sell an ecosystem to their hardware partners which never existed. While android was and still is the ugliest UI I ever saw on a screen, but it was free and it was free for every OEM. While Windows Mobile was expensive for every other hardware manufacturer, but it was free for Nokia. That's the kind of double dealing and two faced business Microsoft corporation was indulging in.
    • By the time Microsoft finally acquired Nokia, their affair was already common knowledge. But instead of unseating Apple with a high end product, they tried to target Google's market share by flooding the developing markets with exceptionally worthless cheap hardware. Apple was foolish enough to offer it's most expensive hardware in these countries since a decade before, but bright corporate guys in Microsoft knew better, they knew these third world people are only good enough for their cheap but useless phones like Nokia Asha 302 (Asha means hope in hindi), but not deserving of their premium tech like Surface pro 3. ( And now the iMacPro has vapor cooling and Surface phone is vaporware). So, while Samsung was selling Note2 in India the Microsoft's indian strategy was to make money off of third world people by literally selling them Hope. (And now We are going to see a Note 10 while the Windows Mobile is extinct) And it was an Empty hope, something which i realized i could not transfer my MP3 library from my dumb. Sony Ericsson to my smart Windows phone because Windows phone 7.0 didn't support Bluetooth despite having the required Bluetooth hardware.
    • Microsoft tried to sell penabled tablets to North Americans, Western Europeans and East Asians, countries where most people preferred typing anyway, while depriving their Eastern European, South American and South Asian customers of their pen technology, the only cultures who still value penmanship (not because of their love of calligraphy, but because growing up they could not afford anything that comes with a physical keyboard, and now that they have some money, they will directly transition from Paper and pencil to iPad and Pencil)
    • After loosing in lower segment to google, Microsoft now tried something different, they come up with a 9" Nokia Phablet. But again someone in Microsoft decided that ofcourse it would be very stupid to put a pen inside that thing, As it's the real professionals and creatives who use pens, not idi*ts who buy 9" phones. Our Zune app should be enough to keep their feeble minds occupied.
    • Somewhere around that time, they realise we have been quite successful in fooling third word people with our tactics, these rich Americans who are willing to buy our crappy 9" dysfunctional phones should not be too bright either. Let's kill age of empires, because we can't sell it on Xbox like Halo anyway. Let's get these gamer fools hooked, and then we will ban physical game CDs without our sever authentication. Simply because, things should not be easy for low life losers who wait for third hand CDs instead of buying brand new ones from us. (Needless to say PlayStation became the dominant gaming platform)Ofcourse, Microsoft continued to be who they are for a few more years, soon becoming the stinkiest name in consumer technology, almost every Microsoft employee began to use a MacBook and an iPhone personally. Industrial and Government customers were stuck with them and average consumers didn't want anything to do with them. But somehow, a dedicated hardware team led by Panos redeems Microsoft by coming up with a piece of technology someone might aspire to, it's pen still sucked, but it represented their vision, a vision which didn't look too bad. But what do the big wigs in their corporate department think? Panos's machine is so good fanboys are gonna buy it any way, wether we include a copy of Office 2016 or not, so let these suckers pay (Gsuite is totally free, and every modern ipad and mac gets free Apple Notes, Pages, Numbers and Keynote).

In short the real problem with Microsoft is greed, lots of it. Their MBAs who don't handwrite themselves decided wether to buy Ntrig or Wacom. (NTrig was ofcourse cheaper). Those who don't innovate or create themselves, think they are qualified enough to decide, which innovation should be behind which paywall, who is a professional, who is a Home user, who is a hi fi player and who is a sad sucker.

Why sell the real medicine when you can just make good money selling snake oil. This strategy works well when you don't know how to make real medicine, it worked well for the organisations like Evernote for quite some time. But it's pretty stupid when you already have lots of real medicines stocked up, rotting in the cabinet. And by that i mean the numerous patents and amazing prototypes Microsoft has in it's labs.

Microsoft's R and D, always had the talent and vision, but their corporate guys always want to keep their hard labour hidden behind a multi-tire pay wall.

There's a Surface pro 6 now, and it still doesn't have a pen that is usable, I felt sorry for Panos, when they made him announce that the Surface now comes in matte black, when we know there's a Panos phone prototype gathering away in his drawer somewhere. They lack the courage to admit that NTrig is a worse cancer than Nokia, they lack the courage to clearly assert it to their noisy but very limited fanbase that you shouldn't expect an operating system that runs on servers to run in a phone.

Apple has listened to it's customers and conceded that a tablet that's more powerful than most high end laptops deserves better than a phoneOS. Microsoft needs to make it's customers listen to the fact that a full Windows 10 is too much for a tablet like Surface go and much more so on a phone, if there ever was one in the making. Windows 10 does need a definitive split.
    I have heard that when Nadella took over their was some contemplation over the future of surface line. ipadOS and side car can't make a dent in laptop and desktop market of Windows 10 in government and corporate sectors but they have the potential to truly and irreversibly change the meaning of personal computing forever. We all know that future of personal computing is wearables and handhelds. An iMac for the whole family and an iPad for each member. May be it's not just Cintiq line that is in danger. 12.9" is not too small compared to 16" given it's aspect ratio.

App gap is not actually a real thing, No body buys into an ecosystem because it has more apps than the other, people buy a product because it has the one app they need. I bought a Surface pro4 only because it ran full OneNote 2016. I bought the iPadPro because it had liquid text. If at all shogmaster will buy an iPad it will be because it has CSP not because of Apple arcade or iMessages.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  10. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

@siddhartth you have some good ideas, but might I suggest condensing your posts to maybe just 3-5 bullet points and choosing just one to elaborate as the main thrust of your argument. This will make it easier to reply on coherently...I'll give it shot on your last point. ;)

Even though many users may use only 1-2 main apps as daily drivers, they do look at the overall ecosystem to gauge the health of the platform:

The frequency of bug fixes, the quality of the features updates, the upkeep of UX smoothness/removal of bloat...the level of developer responsiveness is noticeably highest in iOS, in Android a distant second, and UWP dead last (nearly not even in the running).

You look at the development blog of a great app like Concepts (an app which I rushed out to buy immediately when it launched on the MS Store) and you can see just how much more focused developers are for iOS audience. So much so, I've resigned myself that UWP versions will always be in "perpetual beta" and forever second-class citizens to their iOS counterparts.

So the ecosystem absolutely does impact customer choice, because it gives confidence (or lack thereof :p) of the future value of their purchase.

wytn likes this.