Apocalypse Incoming: Am I about to buy an iPad?

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by Shogmaster, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Lack of barrel buttons on Pencil would suck really hard for me. I've always mapped undo to the first button since like the late 90s. That habit will be nigh impossible to break..

2. lafester

lafester Scribbler - Standard Member

When they get a silo for the pen, sd card slot and include gps on all models I will consider an iPad.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

3. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

If the stylus makes the insertion at the point it touches the screen - why do you need a stylus? I'm excluding software induced lag but a piece of paper doesn't have a cursor and I trust that when I put my pen / pencil / paintbrush down, the mark is made at that point. As Azzart once said elsewhere - and I repeat - "it's embarrassingly accurate."

4. Cuberdon75

Cuberdon75 Scribbler - Standard Member

A cursor can be as small as a single pixel. The Apple pencil nib is much bigger than that. A cursor can also act as a preview of a brush shape and size.

nnthemperor, Marty and darkmagistric like this.
  5. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

And in UX design a hover cursor allows indicating "hotspots", or contextual zones where special functions apply (eg. drag, rotation, and various 3D operations) without having to switch tools.

Very useful for complex modelling and design. ;)

Cuberdon75 likes this.
  6. doobiedoobiedum

All well and good but a huge range of artists in 2D and 3D have been doing just fine without it. A couple of my tattooist ex-students have dropped all other computers and are simply iPad based and I never hear complaints from them. Similarly - other ex students in games art / illustration / graphics etc etc who use iPads are perfectly happy - they knew what hey were getting into by buying an iPad.
    For those who have to have an iPad and have to have a PC interface on an iPad with cursor there's always Duet Display to connect your iPad to your PC. If you want an OSX interface with cursor there's always Sidecar. It won't upset me if Apple put a cursor on an iPad but then the iPad stops being what it is.

I don't get it though - do you want all PCs and Macs to be clones of each other or do you want choice?

-------EDIT------

I personally think and have said elsewhere that pencil support is now much more likely on OSX and iMacs in particular. iMacs are the mainstay of many art departs in colleges and graphics departments and I don't see Apple taking cursors off OSX - just simply because of inertia.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  7. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    doobiedoobiedum likes this.
  8. Cuberdon75

Cuberdon75 Scribbler - Standard Member

Choice, which is why I said a (turn on/turn off) cursor *option*.

9. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I think a better question to ask....how exactly could a cursor prove detrimental to the iPad and Apple Pencil experience?

When you look back on the original iPad.....Apple wasn't trying to sell it as a computer replacement (at least not like they are now)....but keeping in mind Steve Jobs infamous quote 'If you need a Stylus, you've already failed".....simply put for a touch centered device not intended to be predominately interacted with by either a mouse or stylus....a cursor would be somewhat unnecessary since they were focusing on touch more then anything else.

But in the almost decade of the iPads History......even before the Apple Pencil....the 3rd party Stylus market was huge....as was the keyboard cover market (given how horrid Apples own early attempts at keyboard options were). But now, the Pencil and Keyboard covers are pretty much essential purchases....as core to the iPad experience as its original touch only nature. And with the keyboard covers.....the biggest complaint I frequently see is the lack of a trackpad.....which is owed to not having a cursor.

So if Apple, fully embraces a Cursor in iOS.....the biggest stumbling block it would have is with fighting that original mandate....or rather the fear it could erode it.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  10. doobiedoobiedum

For me, if the stylus makes a mark exactly where I expect it to anywhere on the screen - why do I need a cursor? Anyhow, would it prove detrimental to the iPad experience? I think not.

Sales are not what they once were - going back to your question - would the effort of writing in cursor support help raise sales? For me, thinking about what the vast majority of iPad users do with their iPads - I think not.

Azzart likes this.