Apocalypse Incoming: Am I about to buy an iPad?

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by Shogmaster, Jun 9, 2019.

1. ORTOX

ORTOX Scribbler - Standard Member

OneNote makes up 99% of my inking use. How does OneNote compare on iPad with pencil to OneNote (store app version) on Windows 10? Curious to hear some of your thoughts.

2. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

All it means is that the 900MB file was small enough not to page the SSD. Usually file like that expand about 3X in RAM.

As for the Surface Book 2, it wasn't about the size of the file in RAM but complexity of the file on the CPU. CSP is mostly single threaded so IPC and clockspeed matters most. SB2 at the end of the day employs 15W processor. Single thread rating is worse than A12 Bionic. Intel Core processors only bests A12 when you go 45W and higher. No wonder they are ditching Intel on their MacBook Pros soon, and Qualcomm 8cx bests 15W core i5 while emulating 32 bit apps vs i5 doing native.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The simplest solution, Apple has probably coded an actual scratch disk equivalent. With my 2GB of Ram limited 9.7 iPad Pro....I was hitting the ram ceiling in both Clip Studio and MediBang Paint with ease....even when I freed up 20Gb of storage space (only having 32GB to begin with)....at that time...iOS didn’t seem to have anything equivalent to windows scratch disks. However...with my new Mini 5 and it’s extra 1GB of Ram.....while admittedly I haven’t been doing as much artwork as I intended on the Mini 5....I have yet to hit the Ram ceiling....and I’m bounced 200-ish MB Clip Studio save Files on it.....which would normally crash or very very quickly become non responsive on my old iPad Pro 9.7. It could just be the 1GB of Ram and increased CPU power I’m benefiting from....but iOS scratch disks would certainly help alleviate Low Ram issues.

4. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

A lot of people can't get past the lack of cursor on an iPad but if you can, I'll be interested in your findings of the Pencil's accuracy compared to EMR.

5. Cuberdon75

Cuberdon75 Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm one of them. I find it so strange that they can't make it at least an option.

On second thought, since it's Apple, it's probably likelier that they *won't*, not that they can't. After all, it's the company that's succeeded in making people believe a virtually travelless keyboard, whose keys regularly get stuck, is a step forward in design.

6. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Hold, hold on...

Am I misreading things here, or do today's regular, non-pro iPads now work with the Apple stylus?

And is the new iOS actually offering a functional back-end file system so each app doesn't control its own files? (Have the engineers over at Apple finally convinced themselves that it's safe to do more than mutter against The Party behind Job's back?)

7. ORTOX

ORTOX Scribbler - Standard Member

That is correct, non-Pro iPads are now compatible with the Apple Pencil, including the new iPad Mini.

The new iOS is offering access to external storage drives, but it's not really providing true access to a file system.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  8. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

I suppose you never tried working for a couple hours on a 5-600mb file in Clip Studio on any computer, didn't you?
    Try it, it is a nightmarish but enlightening experience. You're going to spend your time praying the software doesn't crashes every time you ask it to save.
    And it'll be a looong time of suspense. ;)

9. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I spend all day in CSP, but it's on a Win 10 desktop at work. No crashes ever for me but I have 16GB of RAM. Some of my files for work go above 500MB occasionally.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  10. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

So, I'm definitely in this struggle - and it's so, so good to be in such esteemed company :). I have been a full-on hater of all things Apple - most particularly the corporation - for over 30 years, but once I turned 60 I decided to make decisions based on 1) morality (are they really any worse than the other tech monsters? I think not;) and, 2) practicality - what works better for me, price adjusted?

Where I'm left is with an entirely practical set of issues (recall, I'm a non-artist long time TPC-er):

1) I really dislike the Pencils, the v.2 only slightly less than the v.1; they're too big and their unchangeable nib is hard plastic, on glass. The writing experience is just unpleasant to me - noisy, uncomfortable, unsatisfying, especially compared to one of the several excellent 3rd party EMR writing implements.

2) I do a lot of writing/typing. Sure, I'm only here because I like to take notes in One Note and markup PDFs, but I blog and write for a post-retirement living, and I need a great typing experience and one that I can do on my lap. That means I'm left with the Brydge keyboard, which is excellent but which, combined with the IPP 11" weighs more than my Pixelbook and as much as any 13" laptop I own.

If I was an artist, the art apps and the cpu/gpu power of the A12, along with Apple's general prowess making hardware and software work extremely well together, all the time, and provide 12 hr battery life would push me in this direction. But since I am a "knowledge worker" and there exist Surface devices, Galaxy Books (including the 2, and its tantalyzing next gen ARM iteration), I'm not sure I will get the upside of the ecosystem and the hardware. From all I've read iPad OS is an incremental change, still far from a "real" desktop OS (eg, the "mouse" functionality buried in accessibility is just a primitive first pass and the file system is a huge leap - for IOS - but nothing like a true file manager, at best getting close to what Android does - and I'm not comparing to Android, but to Windows.

One thing that does nag at me is that productivity software is getting better and better on IOS - eg, Office on IOS runs circles around same on Chromebook and as I do fewer and fewer mega row by mega column spreadsheets and my word processing needs are primarily to have excellent integration between One Note, Word and Excel, all with MS inking functionality and those are getting better in IOS than they are even in Windows, much less Android/Chromebook. (Confession: my Pixelbook had become my go-to device for most daily driver tasks and as a travel device but the lack of evolution of Office apps on Android - or browser-based - is making it harder and harder to trust my Pixelbook or even my Windows 2-in-1s as Office 365 is less and less reliable and flexible...)

TL;DR - I would probably throw caution to the wind if I didn't find the Pencil writing experience so darn unpleasant and low-rent. Sure, the inking response is superb, latency is non-existent but hard plastic on slippery glass (yeah, improved by a sheet of matte screen protector, but where's the fun in that?) is just not what I want for $1,000+ all-in.

What do y'all say about the TL/DR, or any of my other petty grievances?

djas and nnthemperor like this.