Apocalypse Incoming: Am I about to buy an iPad?

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by Shogmaster, Jun 9, 2019.

1. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The friend I sold my old Asus to came back to town over Xmas, still using it and she let me try it again... Had to laugh at how impossible it was to draw accurately over a line I'd previously drawn even in the centre of the screen. Could be a modern Wacom driver issue but it just reminds me that for all the hate on iPads, without the pencil and Chinese clone manufacturers stepping up the challenge to Wacom, we'd all still be using EMR1.

Seriously @crazycat, get yourself an EMR 2 tablet. Even if you have to sell all the old EMR to fund it. Sorry to read your bad iPad experience, most people I know are really happy with iPad and Procreate or Infinity Painter.

2. crazycat

crazycat Scribbler - Standard Member

Actually EMR1 (or all EMR in general) require good engineering to actually be good. Many older EMR devices fail victim to bad shielding / design so it have bad accuracy, line wiggle or dead spot. I used to try my hand on an older Lenovo with cursor stray 5mm away from pen even after calibration. On the other hand, if EMR is applied right, it would be on par or even better than Apple Pencil, like the old Samsung Ativ 7 or Galaxy tab A with S-pen still being dead accuracy with EMR1. My HP2760p have great EMR, my HP 612 G1 have slight wiggle, my ASUS note 8 get stray cursor at corner. I would care more about whether the manufacturer have good reputation of applying EMR than whether it is EMR1 or 2 ;).

BTW all my old EMR devices are actually 6-8years old with declining battery life so I don’t think that can buy me a 1200-2000$ EMR2 devices.

Marty likes this.
  3. doobiedoobiedum

I had an HP 2760p... the lack of accuracy on that tablet almost saw me give up on digital art forever. I hope whatever tablets you have work for you better than they ever did for me.

4. crazycat

crazycat Scribbler - Standard Member

That's said about the inconsistent applying of EMR. Depend on egineering, a good panel can either be great or a nightmare, unlike AES usually give consistent experience (provided that the touch panel used have same quality). Probably that's why only Samsung is still using EMR now, because only them know how to make EMR great. Other manufacturer jump ship to AES partly probably for cost, parly probably because it take less effort to make consistent experience across devices.

5. doobiedoobiedum

Like I said before, I hope whatever EMR-1 devices you have do you well....

Our opinions will be different but I don't think manufacturers jumped to AES only because of price or effort to make a consistent experience across devices. I believe most simply know the "creative" market is very small and AES is simply the most cost effective model of digitiser especially when most owners rarely even use their pens.

Like I say, a difference of opinion.