Apocalypse Incoming: Am I about to buy an iPad?

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by Shogmaster, Jun 9, 2019.

1. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Much as I hate to say it, I think the artists and note-takers on TPCR simply must part company on pen/digitizer technology. Note takers only need to write letters, numbers, stick-type diagrams and use highlighters - no pressure sensitivity, tilt, smooth slowly created diagonal lines matter a wit.

Ntrig is fine for note-taking. I prefer Wacom EMR but for simply scribbling notes on glass I wouldn't let the tail wag the dog in choosing a device, much less an OS. Latest versions of MPP on Surface devices (except perhaps the Go, from things I've read here) is as good as it ever needs to be. It's hard to know where MS is taking both Office and the Surface line, but if you can live with the awful lack of ports it's hard to find much fault for productivity.

artistebot and nyb72 like this.
  2. nyb72

nyb72 Scribbler - Standard Member

You bring up a great point I forgot to add. I remember some review site, Gizmodo I think, that trashed the GB12 because the S-pen felt light and thus cheap compared to the Apple Pencil.

I think the Pencil sucks to be perfectly frank. My handwriting looks awful, even with the textured screensaver, and I think it's because it feels so top heavy with its battery and length. And that imbalance I think makes my fine motor control at the point to constantly overshoot for lack of better description.

artistebot likes this.
  3. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

ditto

Apple is great designing elegant hardware, but the ergonomics of the Pencil is terrible.

4. Cuberdon75

Cuberdon75 Scribbler - Standard Member

Ditto. Just wish Samsung's new tab s6 were the same size as the IPP 12.9.

artistebot likes this.
  5. artistebot

The main reason I tried out the Acer Spin 13 Chromebook because of the bigger screen. Sadly it is simply too bulky for my needs, would rather have a large Tab S6...

6. Cuberdon75

FYI Samsung is supposed to come out with new Chromebooks (with EMR) in the next couple of months.

7. artistebot

The rumored "Pro" update? Will be nice, My kids have the Rev 1 Plus model and it works well for them.

The other issue I have w the chromebook is the lack of pen button support or the ability for Android apps to access the hardware buttons. For example in Infinite Painter on Android device several in-app functions can be tied to the pen button (I use eye dropper) and the volume rocker (I use undo redo).

With those assigned my work flow is increased dramatically. Now maybe having the larger screen and power might offset those functions, but the added bulk (Acer spin keyboard!) is a deal killer for me.

However the Samsung Pro is considerably less bulky, so maybe?

Gezze SAMSUNG, just give us a new "12.2-13 3x2 Note Pro tablet"!!!

Cuberdon75 likes this.
  8. Cuberdon75

I never tried the Spin 13 but are you being fair to it? Its bulk also means that it has much better specs than any tablet and really ought to be compared to other pen-enabled laptops, which are also bulky.

If it fails surely it's as a laptop and its inability to take full advantage of the power of Linux (though this may change as graphic acceleration support is being constantly worked on).

9. artistebot

I am not certain how much faster (if?) the Acer CB would be to the Tab S6. The Snapdragon CPU it uses is very comparable to the Intel chip in the Acer. The Tab S6 also has 8gb of ram (The Acer has an optional 16gb model for ~ $300 more). The Acer has up to 128gb of internal storage, the S6 has a 256gb option. Samsung build quality has always been better than Acer.

Having the ability to run Linux is very good, but based upon my tests it is still very early so pen support is barely there, plus performance seems slow.

IMHO
    • Currently the best on-the-go Artist creation device is the HP Zbook X2 G4 (but one of the WORST names!)
    • For a easy to use mobile sketchbook, the Tab S6 looks to the best.

The Acer Spin 13 seems like a device that fits in between the Zbook and the Tab S6. However my needs are tied to the pen, and currently the pen is only viable in Android apps on the device, as Linux support is very limited to mouse-like behavior. I would recommend waiting if the intent is to use a stylus with Linux.

Cuberdon75 likes this.
  10. nyb72

nyb72 Scribbler - Standard Member

A little over three weeks since my iPad/Macbook experiment ended.
    I now have a Surface Pro and I'm not looking back. My Apple centric coworkers are completely puzzled. But I am far more productive, and there's less stuff to carry around.

As much as I wish I could use my GB12 instead... I have to say I don't totally mind the Surface Pen.

There's a couple of Surface features that I'm liking so far, compared to the GB. The kickstand is so much better... I basically use all the extreme angles on it, including nearly all the way to get a nice tilted surface to draw on. I'm surprised how sturdy it is, and have no problems typing things on my lap. I do think the keyboard is nicer too. It is a little bit flimsy like the GB, but I like how it's raised up a bit. Aside from the pen, the big big downer is the proprietary surface charger connector... *grumble*. I've already left my charger at work and was pretty much out of action.

I keep refreshing the rumors on the Pro 7 and hoping it can be charged via USB-C

wytn and lovelaptops like this.