Apocalypse Incoming: Am I about to buy an iPad?

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by Shogmaster, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

With iPadOS beta, the iPad now has functionality of current Chrome OS/Android OS devices, which I think for most ppl is enough. I can access file through functional enough file browser, I can copy and paste stuff decent enough, I can even use a mouse in some situations if I need it. And use external storage! Over night, iPad has becomes 10X more useful.

But for artists, with the new OS, iPads have leap frog-ed way past Chrome OS/Android tablets by the virtue of the hardware muscle. and the simple fact that it has Clip Studio Paint (and to a lesser degree, Procreate) as well as Affinity apps are available on the platform. If you can afford the iPad Pros (and be delicate enough to not damage them in dairy use lol), those apps on iPad Pros, make it almost as useful as Windows pen 2 in 1 computers, and more useful than Macbook Pros by the virtue of having the Apple Pencil.

Ideally, Apple would want you to carry both the Macbook Pro and iPad Pro in your bag for the sake of max revenues, but even if you bought both, most of the time you don't want to lug around both. Now you can just carry the iPad Pro (fairly delicately lol) and get your work done without feeling frustrated and constrained.

I've personally been trying to replace my aging and dying Asus Vivotab Note 8, and now I find myself seriously contemplating the purchase of the base iPad and Apple Pencil. Together, along with necessary accessories, would cost me around $450. There is nothing brand new in box in that price range for Windows pen 2in1 world that competes on hardware muscle and pen. You have to go up to to almost $1000 before something more compelling is offered in that size. The only thing that stops me is the fact that Clip Studio Paint is a GODDAMNED SUBSCRIPTION SERVICE on the iPads. I already have like 2 PRO and 1 EX license on Windows ffs... It's hard for me to fork over $9 per month to use it on an iPad... At that point, I'd just fork the $1000 on the Lenovo Yoga Book C930 just for the principal of the whole damn situation. LOLZ

Celsys could help me out by bringing Clip Studio Paint to Android, but let's not kid ourselves. I wouldn't port my main app to the wild wild west that is the Play Store, and they would prolly go subscription on that too, in this case to minimize piracy.

[/Rant]

thatcomicsguy, JoeS, nyb72 and 4 others like this.
  2. dellaster

dellaster "Apple Fanboy" Senior Member

:eek: ! :vbeek:

Shogmaster likes this.
  3. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Did I mention elsewhere I just worked on a 8000x5000px file in Clip Studio Paint on the iPad that endeded up weighing a massive (for a CSP file at least) 924mb? :rolleyes:

Edit:
    9 a month? I use the Pro version and it's like €25 a year...

4. Shogmaster

$9 is EX price here in States. I guess PRO would be something like $5 or $6 per month. So basically I'd be paying Win 10 PRO sub price every 10 months. Worse is that I got my 2 Win 10 CSP PRO subs for $25 each, and EX sub for $120 or something...

Like I said, it's the principal more than anything. And BTW, the iPadOS makes things TOLERABLE for me, not good.

So the decision is to pay $450 for hardware but damage my psyche by paying $50 per year GD sub for software I already own 3 times over and tolerate the iPadOS that is now umm.. tolerable, or pay $800 for open box Yoga Book C930 but get much cooler hardware, use the software I already own, and deal with full featured OS I don't have to "put up with" as much. Oh and 2GB RAM vs 4GB of RAM should be a factor too (Y O Y couldn't you put 8GB of RAM on a $1000 device Lenovo?!?).

5. Azzart

Why would you get a $450 iPad? I mean literally, for what?
    Unless it's the latest Pro version, I can't see any benefits to get an iPad with Pencil over a Tablet Pc.

6. Shogmaster

I want something small with pen to replace my Vivotab Note 8 as my mobile sketchpad. Mini 5 would be better but if I'm spending over 500, I'd rather spend 800 and get the Yoga Book C930. Only 4GB RAM sucks but Mini 5 is only 3GB. I made do with 2GB RAM in Vivotab Note 8 but 3GB for $550 is BS.

Those iPad Pros are overpriced and have terrible structural design flaws. I throw things in my backpack with bunch of other stuff. 2018 iPad Pros will get bent for sure. That would piss me off to no end. I could opt for pre 2018 iPad Pro 10.5 but then you are stuck with USB 2.0 with Lightening port. For that kind of money, I want the USB 3.1 for Sidecar at full speed. None of the iPad Pros are enticing. The only iPad worth the value IMO is the base model. 250 is a great price. 100 for Apple Pencil is BS too but I'm still under 400. Only with KB I'm over 400 but I don't need the KB. I use Vivotab Note 8 without a KB fine.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    WillAdams likes this.
  7. Azzart

Ok, I understand your point.
    For me the latest Pro it's the only one that makes sense because it's the only one that has the power to fully substitute a computer for my everyday job.
    The others are nice sketchbooks.

8. Shogmaster

Even the base iPad has A10 Fusion, which has power similar to like 6th gen 15W Core i5. It's only crippled by lack of RAM.

But then again, even the 12.9 iPad Pro 2018 only has 6GB of RAM, so to me, they don't have the specs yet to fully replace a decent laptop (tbh, most of the time what I do on the go is plenty well served by 4GB of RAM of my Helix 2nd gen, but I'm not trying to do all my work on the Helix either).

9. Azzart

My Ipad Pro has only 4Gb of ram and yet as stated earlier it was able to manage generating and working on a file that ended up being 924mb in .clip format. While also having another .clip file open.
    For raw comparison: my 15" Surface Book 2 fared fairly worse with a similar kind of files that weighed 4-500mb.

I don't know how they do it, but the 4gb ram isn't much of a limit on the iPad. The cpu/gpu combo makes a much more important bottleneck: the first gen iPad Pro model even if it had the same 4gb of ram couldn't handle the same kind of files.

10. nyb72

nyb72 Scribbler - Standard Member

Make some room as I might be joining you, due to work change. New company is pretty much Mac only and will be receiving MacBook.

I'm thinking of getting a Mini and Pencil as a notetaker and drawing device. I do miss the form factor of the AVN8, so I'm looking forward to trying this out.

Hopefully the ipadOS features like mouse and file system will keep me sane. For someone who has been PC and EMR centric, this is going to be a jarring change. Best of luck on your conversion.

JoeS and Shogmaster like this.