Anyway to enable normal sleep on DV8P?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by NovaTornado, Jul 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NovaTornado

NovaTornado Pen Pal - Newbie

Connected standby does some weird things. If I have it in standby for a while, it won't turn back on without a force restart from holding power + volume down for like 10 seconds. Right now I have it hibernate if I click the power button, but that's not as optimal of course. Normal sleep would be best, as I don't need it to wake up for notifications anyways.

Edit: Seems like its not possible because of how connected standby works with the hardware. :\ Revised question: Is it safe to disable hibernate if using connected standby?

Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
  2. ssbtech

ssbtech Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm frustrated by this too.

I'd like to have the display turn off and leave the system on (playing music, using it to data log for my car, etc...).

3. Mikerman

Mikerman Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Unfortunately, normal sleep cannot be brought back, as far as I am aware. If Connected Standby is turned off in the registry, only hibernate comes back . . . .

4. ssbtech

ssbtech Pen Pal - Newbie

From Wikipedia on Connected Standby:

[QUOTE[
    The mode also allows the operating system to continue performing background tasks, such as updating content from apps. Devices must be able to turn on in less than 500 milliseconds.[2] The hardware requirements extend to battery life, in that systems must not drain more than 5% of battery capacity while idle over a 16-hour period. [3]
    [/QUOTE]

So why when the screen shuts off, it stops playing music?

I don't want it to go to sleep when the screen shuts off. Such a silly implementation. It's why I bought a Windows tablet, to have full desktop functionality.

5. FZelle

FZelle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It's the Software, not the OS.

Since W8.1 the App Developer have to implement a Windows API function call when the app wants to play the music when the tablet is turned of.
    And you have to allow the App to run in the background.

6. ssbtech

ssbtech Pen Pal - Newbie

In my case I was streaming music from a web page in IE. When the screen shut off, so did the music.

I'd be happy with setting the "Standby" time to "Never" and just having a utility to shut off the display, but that appears impossible.

7. Mikerman

You always could disable Connected Standby in the registry, and instead have Hibernate as your option . . . .

8. darknessy

darknessy Pen Pal - Newbie

Then u cant turn the screen off and that drains quite abit of power

9. Mikerman

Actually, it's the opposite: with Connected Standby, you can't turn the display off while the tablet is not off or put to sleep; with Connected Standby disabled, you can use a display-off utility like Turn Off LCD to turn the tablet's display off while the tablet is still running.

Turn off your notebook LCD with one-click | Redmond Pie

The downside: no sleep mode (regular sleep or Connected Standby)--instead you have Hibernate or power off--and the system takes longer to start up again, from Hibernate; but, it's actually quite speedy.

10. baxter

baxter Scribbler - Standard Member