Anytime Upgrade

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by Smoothcrm7, Jul 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smoothcrm7

Smoothcrm7 Pen Pal - Newbie

I posted this a few weeks back in the software forum before i knew what tablet I wanted but my Fujitsu hopefully will be here next week if not sooner *cross fingers* and I want to upgrade it to windows vista ultimate with the anytime as I'm so used to it (used it since beta 2) Technicaly if I do the upgrade vista isnt changing so the drivers and everything shouldnt have a problem...should it?

2. ahamilton55

ahamilton55 Scribbler - Standard Member

Since you're not changing the underlying system really (like from 32-bit to 64-bit) all of the drivers will stay the same.

3. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

Hi Smoothcrm7,

No you shouldn't have a problem, if you were to use the Anytime Upgrade, there isn't anything different among all editions of Windows Vista, other than one adds in Media Center functionality, another doesn't but has more business-oriented settings (similar to Windows XP Professional Edition), and one just combines both the business-oriented settings and Media Center Edition into one. :)

As such, most sites have driver downloads for either Windows Vista 32-bit and 64-bit; but I do know that Intel has a few drivers for specific editions of Windows Vista, for some reason, but they should be, nevertheless, the same driver.

4. Smoothcrm7

Smoothcrm7 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks so much for the quick response! = )

5. HS77

HS77 Scribbler - Standard Member

I hope you don't mind me asking this in your thread or anything, but I was wondering . . . what exactly is the windows anytime update? I think I have a good bit of understanding on what it is, but never really saw an explanation of it . . . Sorry about the simple question, I can obviously be a novice at some things as this.

6. SimsHsia

Hi HS77,

Anytime Upgrade is a new feature for the Windows operating system in a whole. Instead of going to the store and buying the next edition up, you can purchase an upgrade from, say, Windows Vista Home Premium to Windows Vista Ultimate Edition. You'll get a license key which will unlock the Windows Vista Ultimate features whilst you have the Windows Vista Home Premium disk on hand. Keep in mind that Microsoft ships all of their Windows Vista editions on that DVD disk, so by upgrading to another edition you are purchasing the license key to unlock the edition and thus you have upgraded from one edition to another all without going into a retail store and buying another Windows Vista package for one computer.

7. HS77

Thanks, that's what I thought it was. You simply pay for the new OS? And they don't send the disk or anything at a later date, right?

8. SimsHsia

Hi HS77,

You're simply paying for the license key, you should already have the Windows Vista DVD which includes *all* editions on it. The license key unlocks the particular edition on that DVD and installs the files for that particular edition on your computer.
    If you don't have a Windows Vista DVD, or it's provided through the OEM (manufacturer) with its factory image, you can still purchase through the Windows Anytime Upgrade, however instead of installing the edition add-ons, files, and other related data locally (DVD disk), you download them through the Internet (remotely) from Microsoft or one of their third-party vendors they chose for this upgrade solution which provides the said files to upgrade from one edition to another.

EDIT: In fact, this Wikipedia article explains all. :)

9. HS77

Ah, thanks for the explanation :) And the wiki link (though I hardly ever use wikipedia Lol). I think I got it now :D

Thanks Again, SimsHsia!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.