Anything similar to the Dell venue 8 but with a good pen?

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by fupatab, May 10, 2019.

1. fupatab

fupatab Pen Pal - Newbie

So I used the Dell venue 8 pro through out my undergrad and loved it . I liked it's size, simplicity, atom processor. The only thing I didn't like is that I ran out of storage space and of course the pen never really worked. I mean it was unusable to say the least.

need a very similar set up but with more storage (SD card never worked when saving one note documents) and a functioning pen. If there is a successor to the venue 8 pro that would be great because I still have the keyboard and case.

General Questions.

1. What is your budget?
    Cheapest. Hopefully under $250
    2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
    Prefer new
    3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?
    Full Windows. For note taking .
    4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer
    ~8-11

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?
    U.S.A
    6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    No
    7. How many hours battery life do you require?
    Don't remember how long the venue lasted but it was a lot
    8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)
    Note taking in one note. Internet
    9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?
    Newest version of windows
    10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)
    Office products
    11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.
    No
    12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?
    No
    Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?
    Cheapest
    2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance
    No
    3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom EMR, AES or N-trig?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance
    Something that actually works this time. I don't know the difference between pens
    Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?so I had 32gb venue but when I used the microsd slot, I lost some syncing functionality with one note

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?
    Still like the option of microsd but isn't required

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?

2. Anthony Michael

Anthony Michael Pen Pal - Newbie

1. What is your budget?
    Cheapest. $500-$600
    2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
    Yes
    3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?
    No
    4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer
    19-22"

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?
    Preferably US.

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    Fujitsu has been a good brand, Bosto has quality tablets but cheap pens that wear out and are now unreliable to buy a replacement from.

7. How many hours battery life do you require? N/A

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet?
    Drawing, draw a webcomic as well as doing commissioned work.

9. Do you have an OS preference? I have a Mac & like Mac high Sierra, but understand most drawing tablets are made for windows.

10. Basic photoshop elements 11 lol...I know its ancient but newest ps cc is a lagging performer on even near new pcs.
    11. Do you intend on playing Games no.

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?
    No
    Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?
    As good as is within price range w/out compromising size.

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? No.

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom EMR, AES or N-trig? Yes. I prefer any pen compatible w/my tablet. My bosto tablet works fine but cannot use it due to them no longer having a functioning website or means of contact to obtain a replacement pen for my 22ui mini, third pen in 3 yrs. Cheap.

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory? As much as possible,

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?
    Not currently a priority, only enough ports to hook tablet up.

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above? I prefer a tablet with a Wacom digitizer, although I never tried one with alternate tech to judge, yould be willing to. Most important is the ability to but replacement pens or a compatible pen. With warranty my bosto came to $700, and without a means of getting another pen, it is useless.

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration? Decent drivers, low incidence of lag, and of course overall performance.

3. fupatab

fupatab Pen Pal - Newbie

Lolwat
    You gotta make your own thread homie

4. the_whiterabbit

the_whiterabbit Pen Pal - Newbie

To answer your question, I don't think there've been any 8" Windows tablets released in the last 4~ish years.

I have the Asus Vivotab Note 8, which is exactly what you're looking for--but there was a recent BIOS update that I foolishly flashed, and it bricked mine.

However, it is 5 years old, only had 2gb of RAM and 32bit Windows. If I could buy a replacement today, I would--but now the smallest Windows Tablets are 10" or so. Surface Go and the Asus Transformer Mini both fit your needs among the 10" tablets. The Transformer Mini comes with keyboard and Stylus, but it's expensive now for the level of performance you get--the Surface Go isn't *that* much more expensive, and is available with an 8gb RAM/128gb SSD (and a real SSD, not eMMC).

They still don't quite fill the niche of a nice 8" tablet. I would *love* a new 8" tablet coming out with modern thinness and small bezels.