Anyone with progressive myopia here?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by neru.d, Nov 1, 2018.

1. neru.d

neru.d Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello.
    I don't see this a lot so I created a new thread. I was wondering what devices people use having progressive myopia? My eyes get worse after just using a computer even in right conditions so it is either using an e-reader or not getting information. I was told when I was about 14 'not to use a computer at all' but that hardly sticks with me. There are reflective and transflective screens but are those as bad for eyes as normal backlit screens? I've seen some writings about it but not about using those with progressive myopia.

2. KlickSter123

KlickSter123 Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't have it but my friend has. She's just using protective glasses to lessen the effect of the screen on here eyes. She still struggles tho.

3. XJ12

XJ12 Scribbler - Standard Member

had to google progressive myopia. makes me wonder about what I went through when I started doing extensive CAD work over 3 decades ago. I started my new job with perfect vision, 20-15. A year into my job, I was needing glasses as I progressively became nearsighted. Both my eyes locked in to the distance of the computer screen.

Wore contacts in both eyes but as I aged my arms became too short to read my smartphone. So I actually stopped wearing one of my contacts to go with monocular vision. Do this to this day nearly 10 years later.

Now the interesting part. I noticed that my corrected vision in the one eye was again getting fuzzy. Thinking once again I need a stronger prescription as has been the pattern throughout the years. But even the doctor was stunned that the opposite was happening. I needed a weaker prescription. Since I'm only using the corrected eye for far vision and no longer using it for near vision it started to revert back. Now that I'm retired, will see if my eye keeps changing.

4. KlickSter123

Dang, just a year into the job your vision was already compromised? How long were your office hours?

5. XJ12

XJ12 Scribbler - Standard Member

Worked very long hours in those early days designing stuff. Was nice when they paid overtime too. Several occasions I was told to go home at nine o'clock at night after working 14 hours. On one occasion, actually spent the night trying to get drawings ready for fabrication the next day for an emergency job.

I actually complained to management about the effects of the CAD work on my eyesight. They immediately demanded testing of the drafting department personnel that had recently converted over to all CAD. All the individuals they tested were fine. Seems I was the only that had the issue.

So apparently I was part of a very small percentage of people that had the issue. Thirty plus years later, I'm actually glad to have at least one eye I can use for up close vision. No readers for me. What a pain to have those or have to have bifocals.

6. KlickSter123

14 HOURS?! Wow, that was intense. Yeah, great that your other eye got corrected.