Anyone waiting for Ice Lake laptops?

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by Steve B, Nov 15, 2019.

1. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

I have a reasonably adequate 5 year old Thinkpad 14, but I'm in the market for a new laptop. I'm not one to normally wait for "the next big thing" and could generally care less about CPU upgrades, because I've had enough power for years, but the reports on Ice Lake (did I get that name right?) and the 10nm die shrink indicate it should be quite a shift in a lot of ways. Perhaps the first real, big shift in years.

For me, the big change is that things could run cool, quiet, and for way longer, even while maintaining a similar level of cpu power. Even if suggested 25 hour battery life is obviously pie in the sky sort of stuff, if I could get 12-15 hours in a thin and light package, that would be fantastic. More power is not essential to my needs. More mobility is.

My current device is fine, if not amazing, but I don't NEED a new device. Does anyone think it's worth waiting for next year's models? Do other anticipate a clear shift in what laptops are capable of given the new die shrink? Looking for input from those who know more.

2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I think you're kind of answering your own question: if you don't need it right now, waiting is a good move. :) From what I understand, the biggest Ice Lake performance increase is in the graphics capabilities.

It's harder to find a clear picture on battery life, but that aspect does look promising: anandtech tested an ice lake system, and in their 'web test' they see something like 20-40% more battery life. They conveniently compare system performance in "minutes per Wh", so normalized to battery capacity. So if battery life is key, yes, these new systems seem to be pretty appealing!

Edit: for reference, on my X1 Yoga 3rd gen with i7-8650U with HDR screen I'd be lucky to see 6 minutes per Wh..

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
  3. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

That's an interesting chart. I see the Lenovo c930 as 9.43 hours, and I think I read that the new c940 is something similar to the top rated Dell-- around 14 hours. That's a substantial shift. Battery life has hit a plateau for years, with only rather small, incremental gains. If this 4-5 hours more is true, it would be a welcome change.

Other than that, there are many things I've wanted in a laptop for years, and many new models are already there on the other things- better audio, pen in silo or carriage in some way, brighter outdoor screens, tilt with pen, etc. That's why I've pondered getting a new device. Seemed about time. BUT, running cool and quite with long battery life is very key to me. Thus, the post here...

I just don't care to wait around if changes are really minor. That's always my advice to others-- buy the best you can now. But... LOL!

JoeS likes this.
  4. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Important correction: these are minutes per Wh, so you'd need to multiply by battery capacity in Wh. Example: 9.43 with a 60Wh battery would indeed be 9.43 hours, but with a 50Wh battery it would be 7.86 hours.

Marty likes this.