Anyone using NFC?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by mm289, Feb 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mm289

mm289 Tablet Business User

Hi,

got a Galaxy S3 with NFC so have been playing around trying to get to get it to work with the VivoTab.

If I place the S3 on the NFC contact area on the tab I get lots of nice sounds and vibrations but not a lot else!!

How is this NFC thing supposed to work?

Cheers,

MM

2. igorrj

igorrj Pen Pal - Newbie

I have too the samsung galaxy S3 and there's no Saint that can help to work the NFC with vivotab smart, unfortunately.

3. illidanx

illidanx Pen Pal - Newbie

NFC on lumia 920 works really well with vivotab. NFC on samsung s3, on the other hand, is limited and is supposed to work with another s3 only.

4. igorrj

igorrj Pen Pal - Newbie

Good to read this. What kind of operation had you been? Like, just send photo? And video?
    I already had tried with HTC 8X and worked fine in that time.

5. illidanx

illidanx Pen Pal - Newbie

in this video, the guy used a lumia 920 to send picture to the asus vivotab smart using NFC. Asus VivoTab Smart ME400C Review - Windows 8 tablet - YouTube. Look for the 32 minute mark.

6. swagner53

swagner53 Pen Pal - Newbie

I tried to send a picture from my Galaxy Nexus and it says the device I am sending to does not support large file format.

7. NeoX

NeoX Pen Pal - Newbie

The only thing you can use nfc between android and windows 8 are just weblinks. Files and stuff are not supported yet. To test go to a website, either on phone or tablet. touch the nfc and then click send to device. or vice versa. Files and stuff are not working. It took me a while to work it out. Yeah frustrating I know.

8. rcxAsh

rcxAsh Scribbler - Standard Member

I have a pair of Nokia BH-505 Bluetooth stereo headphones that support NFC. When I tap them to my Galaxy S3, the headphones turn on and the Galaxy S3 connects to them automatically.

When I try the same with the ME400C, the headphones turn on, but Windows doesn't connect to them automatically. I have to go to the desktop, then right click on the volume icon, then choose the headphones that I paired manually previously, right click on those and say connect... such a lengthy process...

It seems highly dependent on the software side of things. I know at least with Android, when you write a program that supports NFC, you can register it to one or more types of NFC tags. The operating system will then automatically invoke your application when it detects an appropriate tag. NFC in Android does support more than just Android devices. With some programming, I was able to read my credit card's number via Visa PayWave just by tapping the card to the back of the phone. There are also apps to read the balances of various transit NFC-based cards (I tried it with a card from Hong Kong and it read the balance fine). But all of this requires specific software support...

9. MaximumFish

MaximumFish Pen Pal - Newbie

I was hoping to use it with Lastpass and a Yubikey Neo like I can on my Galaxy Nexus, but no dice, it just launches the Yubikey webpage.

10. cheeb

cheeb Pen Pal - Newbie

Sorry to resurrect this thread. I'm a new owner of the VivoTab Smartand I'm having a hard time using the NFC function. I have an HTC EVO 4G LTE and it doesn't respond AT ALL. I'm not sure what more else I would need to do besides have the phone on a web page and attempt to send the page to the tablet by placing it by the NFC sensor. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.