Anyone Using a Surface Book 2 with Cubase?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by vmishka, May 21, 2018.

1. vmishka

vmishka Pen Pal - Newbie

I posted this as a reply in the Surface Book 2 discussion thread, but I think that I will have more luck getting an answer if I make it a new thread.

I am thinking of buying a Surface Book 2 (15-inch, 1TB) and would be interested in learning more about "real world" performance in music production, specifically with Cubase.

SurfaceProAudio.com has lots of information on other Surface products, but Robin has never been able to get his hands on a Surface Book 2 to test it.

Thank you.

2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I haven't seen much mention of DAWs here on the forums unfortunately. What kind of info were you looking for? Latency? Number simultaneous VST plugins etc? The SB2 is a beast of a machine, so unless you're mixing an individually mic'd symphony orchestra I think you should be fine.. :)

3. vmishka

vmishka Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you for your reply JoeS. I too find it a little frustrating that there is not much mention of DAWs on the forums

Just as you say, latency and the number of simultaneous VST plugins (like Robin provides for other Surface models on surfaceproaudio.com) would be great while running Cubase Pro 9.5 (or something similar). Unfortunately, his contact at Microsoft left the UK office and he cannot get a loaner to test. My needs are not extreme. Probably fewer than 10 VST tracks and not really any fancy effects (I do classical music). I am thinking that it will be fine, but, as you know, with tax and an additional Microsoft Complete warranty I am looking at almost $4000 and I don't want to make a mistake. Yes, you can probably return it within 30 days for a refund, but that is not the way I usually like to do things. I would prefer to do my research first. At the moment, you cannot even order a 15-inch from Microsoft. They are completely out of stock.

4. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

All makes sense. For now the best thing you can do is look for user impressions on systems with the same CPU, and use google to look for any problems people are having with Cubase and Surface Book. For example a search like this. I don't see any obvious widespread problems there, but have a look yourself.

An a related note: I suddenly very much want a Surface Book 2 15" to work with Cubase! It would be awesome to have that kind of screen area and screen quality.

5. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 Editor-in-Chief of TechAndTiny Senior Member

I have a late reply, but hopefully it is still timely. The Surface Book 2's CPU has incredibly fast single-threaded performance (not to mention multithreaded performance, though this is not quite as important for this application). This is critical for low latency, real-time tasks including audio production. The best, latest MacBook Pro has a lower single core turbo (3.9 GHz, i7-7820HQ) than the Surface Book (4.2 GHz, i7-8650U) meaning much it does not offer the low latency processing (a 5-10% difference) of a fully decked out Surface Book 2 15 i7 for audio work. With that much single-threaded horsepower, I say go for it!