Anyone try opening up their pro yet?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by notphilip, Feb 10, 2013.

1. xfinrodx

xfinrodx Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm with NRoberts. It's by far the least invasive approach available to you... I am watching this closely - I'll be ordering a 525 soon. Keep us updated with your os results!

Glass is a good conductor of heat, as is magnesium. A heat gun vs. a space heater shouldn't do much different. I'm leaning toward the space heater being better, since you can gently loose the whole panel at once with minimal strain instead of superheating small areas of stress. Either way I'm going to wear an adult diaper when I do mine. ;-)

2. John566

John566 Pen Pal - Newbie

A big thanks to you, NRoberts, and others for all this very helpful information. You are correct that I do not want to reopen this beast if I don't have to :) I also worry that those tiny torx screws can only be used a few times before they start to strip.

Does anyone know where I can get drivers for the Surface Pro or if I even need them?

Thanks!

3. Greg_E

Greg_E Scribbler - Standard Member

I bet these guys will have all the sizes you need, but going to cost a few bucks:
    Wiha 26702 Precision Torx Screwdriver T2 x 40mm

You can get down to T4 with this set:
    Precision Screwdriver Set - 33 Piece
    I have it and it is pretty decent for the price. The Wiha are better quality and will last longer, but the price will be paid.

Also, I know it will be ugly, but until you get everything working I would hold the display in place with some tape wrapped around the edges. Decent gaffer tape will hold it mostly permanently so there is no chance of it falling out. This makes it easy to get the screen back off to go back inside. Once it is all where you need it to be, then you can buy some decent two sided adhesive tape and put the display back in "permanently".

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Am I the only one who gets queasy reading about these adventures - I feel like I'm watching Doctor McCoy re-implant Spock's brain.
    _SpockBrain.jpg

5. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

I feel just like that! Removing the battery on my TM2 is enough adrenaline to me!

6. ericshmerick

ericshmerick Scribbler - Standard Member

John556 your post is mesmerizing, yet terrifying. I ordered a 64gig from the Staples deal (before they killed the $75 coupon) and it will arrive this week. I was like "hell, I'll just toss in a 256 mSATA and call it a day" then I saw the iFixit carnage. Then I read your posts.

I honestly think, if I decide to keep the 64gig, I'll be able to manage with a microSD. But I'm still way on the fence about that space...and the autopsy gives me nightmares. I'd break something or end up with a pile of extra screws, for sure.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  7. borna761

borna761 Pen Pal - Newbie

8. John566

John566 Pen Pal - Newbie

If I could only get Linux to boot from the USB. I did try LiLi with the Mint Distro to no avail, it just goes to the BIOS screen. I can get Win8 Install & True Image 2013 to boot off of a DVD drive connected to the USB. I'm using a 32GB thumb drive formatted as FAT32.

I ordered the Intel 525 (240GB) and I will probably install that on Wednesday if I can't get this to work.

If anyone is going to attempt this please read the results of the guy in the Anandtech forums - this is a real danger. I had a similar problem with the ribbon cable he had come up. It did a little bit for me but I was able to reseat it and it seems to work for me. I have been able to test the touch screen on mine by moving the window around during the start of the Win8 Install. It seems to work fine on all areas of my screen.

I have "Security Device Support" and "Secure Boot Control" both disabled. Is there any problem with this? Also, if I enable "Secure Boot Control" and try to "Install Default Keys" or "Delete All Secure Boot Keys" I get the error "Secure Variable Update is locked down !". Anyone with ideas on this? Thanks.

9. John566

John566 Pen Pal - Newbie

"The trick is to make sure you clone the original GPT formatted mSATA SSD properly. For this, Tim used Reflect to clone the drive and MiniTool Partition Wizard to expand the data partition to the full capacity of the new SSD."
    I wonder if Tim used MiniTool Partition Wizard from within windows. I tried booting off of a USB drive with one made by their USB creating tool. It says it is supposed to boot off Win 8 but it doesn't work on my surface. I also would like to know if he did the image with Reflect after installing the new SSD or after.

10. zbrush

zbrush Pen Pal - Newbie

Did you tried Ubuntu ? I've read that it works fine on surface pro. I'll create the usb boot drive now and see if I can boot.

11. vladsg

vladsg Pen Pal - Newbie

Dear John, you do and did really big job and many thanks that do it not just for you, but for all of us.

and here what I think about current issues - could it be something like white lists in uefi firmware? like it were on thinkpad computers that nobody can't put to minipcie slot anything, that were not in white lists?

Here is standard ahci controller and windows should see it without any drivers (because all of them already included). It's mean only one - system can't see crucial hdd.

Maybe intel ssd is in this "white list" that's why everything fine with them.

12. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Ok sports fans, as Paul Harvey used to say - here's the rest of the story from Anand's article:

"While he had no issues getting the drive working, his Surface Pro did sustain damage during the upgrade process. As we learned from iFixit's teardown of the tablet, there's a ton of adhesive everywhere and melting/breaking it is the only way to get inside Surface Pro. Unfortunately the cable that drives the touchscreen was pulled up when Tim separated the display from the VaporMg chassis. The tablet works as does the pen, but the display no longer functions as a capacitive touchscreen."

:eek: :(

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  13. John566

John566 Pen Pal - Newbie

That would be awesome if you would check that out. If it works please give me a guide on how you made the bootable USB. I tried LiLi with a few options. I'll probably go try Ubuntu right now. Please let me know your results and Thank You!

14. John566

John566 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks vladsg. That is a very interesting idea. I will have another 64GB Surface Pro arriving today (I ended up getting two from Staples with the $75 off deal). I also have an Intel 525 arriving on tomorrow. I'm trying to decide if I just put the 525 in the new SP or the current one.

I'm also thinking that I will video tape the entire install on the new SP and post it up on youtube. If it is something that enough people would like to see I will do it.

15. John566

John566 Pen Pal - Newbie

I was able to confirm that my touchscreen still works by dragging a window around with both my finger and a pen. It works in all 4 corners and seems to be fully functional. I also did have a similar separation problem but was able to get it back together. Mine didn't separate as much. It is one of the Windows at the start of the Win8 install process. If only I could get further :)

16. John566

John566 Pen Pal - Newbie

It is strange. Now I can't even get the Surface Pro to boot off the True Image 2013 or Win8 install disks. I wonder if there is something else going on. :(

Does anyone know if it is ok to have both "Security Device Support" and "Secure Boot Control" turned off?

17. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Security Device Support is the TPM. If you're not using Bitlocker encryption, it's generally okay to have that turned off.

Secure Boot is a new feature to only allow signed bootloaders to run. The idea is that it's designed to prevent things like bootkits (despite claims by some Linux zealots that it's to lock you in to Windows; there's already a signed bootloader for Linux that is Secure Boot capable). It's just some extra protection for you, but if you turn it off, it'll work just like any computer previous to Windows 8 ever has.

18. John566

John566 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks jhoff80. That is good to know. It is being very intermittent as to when it decides to boot off of my DVD drive. The only things I've been able to get booted are the TrueImage 2013 and Win8 Install disks. It will work for a while and then it won't. I think I may go buy another DVD drive and see if that is the problem.

If anyone has gotten Linux to boot on their Surface Pro directly from start up (Not from where you tell Win8 to exit out and boot the USB) please let me know how you did it.

It sounds like if I would have thought ahead and made the recovery USB before doing all this I may have been ok. When I get home to my second Surface Pro on Tuesday Evening I may give that a try.

19. cme4oil

cme4oil Pen Pal - Newbie

I was able to get the surface pro tablet to boot from the USB drive by holding down the volume down button while pressing the power button, as soon as the surface logo appears on the screen, let go of the volume down button. This should allow the surface to boot from the USB drive. I tested this using a Ubuntu distribution and it worked fine. You do need to turn off secure boot in the bios for this to work.

You can go here to get help on creating a bootable Ubuntu USB if you want to try it

You don't live around the Washington DC area do you? lol

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  20. Deathangel

Deathangel Scribbler - Standard Member

This thread is better than a good crime story! :D And I don't even own a Surface Pro or plan to buy one! Keep us updated and I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. And just from a techy point of view: a video of your tear down of an SP would be well appreciated. :D