Anyone try opening up their pro yet?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by notphilip, Feb 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HobbyHorse

HobbyHorse Pen Pal - Newbie

Update to everyone:

I did the upgrade myself. easy-peasy lemon-squeezy thanks to the work of John566, xfinrodx.

But there was one complication. My first attempt was with a Mushkin Enhanced Atlas 240 GB. This is the one with the DX suffix that was used successfully for others. But it didn't work for me. They must have changed the circuit board. There are two small components (diodes?) way too close to the msata connector. It wouldn't seat properly, and I damaged the drive as well as the connector on the mobo. Fortunately, it still worked with the original 64GB, but for a moment I had a real scare. The msata drive is fubar now, but thankfully the vendor accepted the return.

I ordered a Crucial M4 256 GB despide John556's problems with it. It worked fine. I hope it doesn't end up locking up on me, but 14 hours later, it is still good.

This is a very easy upgrade. Just a little tedious with all the screws. But there are only a few types, and it is easy to keep track. If you've done a phone before and are comfortable with adhesive softening and microconnectors, this is just the same thing on a bigger scale.

If anyone out there is doing it, I do recommend the Intel. While I've not used it myself, based on experiences in this thread, both Mushkin and Crucial are a risk. Unfortunately, Intel is significantly more $.

2. xfinrodx

xfinrodx Pen Pal - Newbie

Way to go, HobbyHorse! It's really quite the neat accomplishment huh? I don't hang out here often, sorry for the late reply.

I'm also thinking about possibly selling my 256gb Surface. I have this problem where I can't keep any tablet longer than 6 months. Get bored or something. :)

3. stash182

stash182 Pen Pal - Newbie

Just picked up an SP2 and would be interested in having someone do the HDD upgrade. Please message me if you're up for it!

4. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

I am really tempted to get the 64gb Surface Pro 3, and upgrade it to something over 128gb ssd. Do you think a local computer shop will be able to do this? Is there that much if a price difference between 240gb SSD and a 256gb model?

5. Ariolander

Ariolander Pen Pal - Newbie

Well part of the reason the 256GB versions of the SP2/3 cost so much more is because everything 256 GB and up also include twice as much RAM, so that may be a contributing factor.

6. Chefguydude

Chefguydude Pen Pal - Newbie

So theoretically if you had a bitlocked surface you could open it up and put a new hard drive in it? Would that work?

7. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...if you had a bitlocked surface you could open it up and put a new hard drive in it?..>>

...THEORETICALLY yes, but opening a Surface is a difficult and hazardous task. Here is the iFixit outline of the process:

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Microsoft+Surface+Pro+Teardown/12842

Needless to say, but you should only resort to this if you absolutely have to...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.