Anyone try opening up their pro yet?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by notphilip, Feb 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xfinrodx

xfinrodx Pen Pal - Newbie

We've discussed how that would weaken the structure and/or thicken it. There's a good reason to make it one piece, it's just a good reason that not everyone agrees with.

Physically larger mSATA would involve moving the port on the motherboard probably... I looked at the bracket clearance for that very purpose and it's really a no-go. As for RAM... You'd have to either be stupid or an industry professional to try swapping soldered chips. I'll do capacitors, FETs, resistors... But tiny ICs with 100's of pins? I'll need practice on something cheaper. :)

2. Deathangel

Deathangel Scribbler - Standard Member

Larger SSD => that's what this whole thread is about. People have successfully installed 240/256GB mSATA drives now. 480GB I haven't seen (the one I know is slightly out of spec for mSATA but fits in the Samsung Ativ PC Pro still).
    RAM => those suckers are soldered, no way to upgrade them without extensive tablet PC surgery and heavy, heavy equipment. So I'd forget about it.

3. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Scribbler - Standard Member

read the thread!!!!!

4. Falcatta

Falcatta Pen Pal - Newbie

Congrats to all you guys that pulled this off. Makes me wonder now why Samsung made this so easy on the 700T. I'm not sure if I would have done all this if I had a Surface instead.

Bravo :)

5. Msdcat

Msdcat Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi Guys,

I stumbled on this thread while trying to sort out a problem I've got with my Pro. Does anyone know how to recover the System (EFI) partition. Mine was deleted, and now the Pro doesn't boot. It will also not boot any windows CD, but will boot Ubuntu and GParted discs

Thoughts?

6. xfinrodx

I would put a windows 8 installer on a USB stick with MS's USB maker tool with a different computer. Could always do it from the surface with a live boot, a windows VM and a lot of patience ;-). There's also the possibility that you could boot a windows 8 installer and just run a troubleshooting wizard that magically fixes it. Otherwise, you're forging on into deep dark Linux land trying to figure out how to fix Windows problems with a non-Windows system. Why'd you delete your system partition?

7. John566

John566 Pen Pal - Newbie

Fantastic pictures and tutorial xfinrodx. Thanks for doing that.

I thought I'd check in and mention my 240GB Surface is doing great. I had a little bit of an issue with the bottom bezel not seating as well as the top and sides. If I put pressure on the bottom of the bezel, or held it there, the touch screen would sometimes stop working. If I put it to sleep and woke it up it would then re-calibrate itself and work fine again. I lifted the bottom a bit and put some black silicone in the gap and set books on top of the Surface for about 30 hours. Now it looks perfect, with no gap, and I can't get it to loose calibration anymore.

I don't remember if I mentioned it but I almost didn't get back in the second time without drilling out some of the screws. They are so small that the screws don't hold up well to multiple uses. I wonder how many upgraded surfaces their are now? It really isn't that bad and I almost have the urge to do another one. :)

8. xfinrodx

Yeah, the screws were fiddly. I went really slow to make sure I didn't strip any. I'd do the upgrade for people for a small fee, but I don't feel the urge to take it apart again for no reason ;-).

The repaste seems to have made the overall back of my tablet cooler. More of the heat is going out through the heat sink rather than the screen or case and it doesn't throttle as much. Still an under engineered cooling solution, but a little better now.

9. HobbyHorse

HobbyHorse Pen Pal - Newbie

xfinrodx & John566, would either of you be interested in upgrading my pro? If so, shoot me a price! Thank you.

Thanks!

10. John566

John566 Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm thinking of throwing mine up on eBay. I have recently picked up a Razer Edge and I'm probably not going to keep both. I have way to many tablets & laptops and need to thin the herd.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.