Anyone try opening up their pro yet?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by notphilip, Feb 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xfinrodx

xfinrodx Pen Pal - Newbie

[​IMG]
    step1 by Bethany Chamberlin - Photography, on Flickr

Heat with a normal ol' space heater evenly. I didn't get mine blazingly hot - probably 110f or so. Warm enough that the hoodie had to come off though.

[​IMG]
    step2 by Bethany Chamberlin - Photography, on Flickr

Just disturb the adhesive however you can, get a bunch of picks on the top side of the glass.

[​IMG]
    step3 by Bethany Chamberlin - Photography, on Flickr

Slowly move the picks around. You'll have to push firmly at times, but don't get too aggressive. The picks should be horizontal to be holding the glass up off of the surround.

[​IMG]
    step4 by Bethany Chamberlin - Photography, on Flickr
    [​IMG]
    step5 by Bethany Chamberlin - Photography, on Flickr

Stack picks on the top side to get room for your fingers *and* to get that crucial first bit done really evenly. Once you're up and feeling brave, get your fingers our and gently twist that gorilla glass free of the case! You still have your space heater on, right?

Just a bunch of screws follow that. Everybody whines about them, but really... I do car work so the screw cound was not bad. Take your time and make sure you've got all the stuff off you need to before you flip the motherboard. As I recall you need to take out the speakers, the volume/headset plug assembly and a couple random cables.

[​IMG]
    step8 by Bethany Chamberlin - Photography, on Flickr

I also chose to do a repaste while I was inside. I find that every OEM screws up their well-engineered thermal solution with some embarrassingly poor thermal interface. MS chose a PAD for this HM77 chipset. That won't do. By the way, that shield over the CPU just pulls off. Careful with it, it is super thin, but it seriously pulls off and presses back into the tiny "grabbers"

[​IMG]
    step9 by Bethany Chamberlin - Photography, on Flickr

They were a bit overzealous with their paste. Also, there was nearly no mounting pressure. I slightly bent the heat pipe for the HM77 down, bent UP the 4 mount points...

[​IMG]
    step10 by Bethany Chamberlin - Photography, on Flickr

Used ArctiClean from PetrasTechShop (really good stuff, makes alcohol look bad) and screwed it all down to get back to the HDD task.

[​IMG]
    step11 by Bethany Chamberlin - Photography, on Flickr

They look pretty similar, but under the hood... Just look at how nicely the Intel logo gets framed in the bracket :)

[​IMG]
    step12 by Bethany Chamberlin - Photography, on Flickr

And reassemble. Mind the cables. There's like 3 on the bottom and one on the left side that all need to flip up on top. I nearly forgot the tiny one furthest to the right near the center.

[​IMG]
    step13 by Bethany Chamberlin - Photography, on Flickr

Always remember to take out your micro SD card *before* you take out the motherboard...

[​IMG]
    step14 by Bethany Chamberlin - Photography, on Flickr

Some of these are tough to plug in. Remember that the back side on all these plugs pops up to unlock the cable. Makes it a lot easier :)

[​IMG]
    step16 by Bethany Chamberlin - Photography, on Flickr

For reattaching the screen I used "banner tape" as the sign-making industry calls it. Seems to do the trick marvelously and is similar in thickness to the original material.

[​IMG]
    step17 by Bethany Chamberlin - Photography, on Flickr

Plug in the screen...

[​IMG]
    step18 by Bethany Chamberlin - Photography, on Flickr

And just like new - or better than new. UEFI greets me, waiting for an OS!

I had already made a recovery image on a thumb drive. I had planned to do a clean OS install, but MS did a decent job of not bloating the Surface Windows distribution with a bunch of garbage, so I took the easy road. It booted right up into the setup utility; touch and pen worked fine.

I told it to "refresh my pc" with a full restore, and 20 minutes later (slow thumb drive) I was personalizing Windows with the drive fully recognized as having its full size :). I told Windows setup to repartition the drive, so I was unsure of exactly how much it was going to give me, but it did it correctly. Also, I told it to do a quick format rather than a secure erase. Intel has no secrets to hide from me on their SSD I don't think.

And no, I won't do a video. I don't want to do this again if I don't have to! ;) Anyway, I hope it helps someone!

isup and javispedro like this.
  2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

xfinrodx :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

This is one of the BEST posts I've ever seen at any forum site! Just curious, is this your day job or are you just a crazy hardware geek? Also, congratulate your photographer - these are some of the best detail pictures of computer brain surgery I've ever seen (iFixIt could learn a thing or two, or 20). Congratulations on the successful upgrade, but once again it has been proven to me that I don't have the patience or requisite skill for this transplant. It also points something out to me I never thought I'd complain about, but with the increased use of mSATA drives in high end systems, why on God's green earth don't the manufacturers and OEM's get together on a slot loaded drive like an SD card - oh wait, then they couldn't make us buy NEW COMPUTERS when our drives overload...

Again, thanks for the amazing work, and I recommend this post be upgraded to a sticky for quick reference!

3. surface

surface Pen Pal - Newbie

Wow! It's like you had an engagement photography session with your surface. I agree with every word dstrauss wrote. This has gotta be the best teardown ever. You somehow made this scary process look like a Martha Stewart crafting tutorial. You even matched the red hoody with the consistent red picks. I'm not sure how you got your wife to not only be involved with this but take pictures as well. I can't even get mine to listen when I speak gadget, she tunes me out immediately. However it's probably best she doesn't know about my plans with this one, she'd probably freak out haha.

Thanks again for sharing!!!

4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

The thing that I find amusing about this is the iFixIt rating of 1 (out of 10). By the conventional wisdom, almost no one should be able to get a Pro disassembled, yet now it's almost starting to sound routine!

Tablet users are marvelously adaptable, don't you think?

5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Or unnervingly insane. :eek:

6. xfinrodx

xfinrodx Pen Pal - Newbie

I did say I thought that 1/10 was a bit pessimistic. They need 2 scores: 1 for disassembly difficulty and another for component repairability. This is like a 7.4/10 for difficulty disassembling and maybe 4/10 for component replaceability by my reckoning.

Dstrauss, "I'm just an average everyday normal guy." My day job is writing code. I'd love to moonlight an ifixit alternative though :).

Surface, I certainly did have an engagement session with my surface. My wife isn't a huge fan of "product photography" but she's always happy to dabble for my idiotic exploits.

Edit: And I misquote names of songs. "Everyday Normal Guy" is what I meant.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
    javispedro likes this.
  7. cmergel

cmergel IT Mgr. / DBA by trade.

Simply awesome! Time to pick up (find) a cheap 64gb somewhere.

8. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Scribbler - Standard Member

My wife would only take pictures just to have evidence of my stupidity!

9. JimB

JimB Scribbler - Standard Member

So with what we know now could they have used 2 cutout covers with screws to swap the msata and the battery?

10. crashnburn

crashnburn Scribbler - Standard Member

Has anyone figured out if a larger SSD and Bigger RAM Memory modules could be put in to replace the existing ones?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.