Anyone try opening up their pro yet?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by notphilip, Feb 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. r11

r11 Scribbler - Standard Member

2. revmike

revmike Scribbler - Standard Member

I live in the valley, perhaps you can tell where these people live.

3. surface

surface Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello everyone, I've also been actively following this thread, and this forum for years actually. Figure it's time I stop being anti-social and actually say something haha. I'm planning on doing this as well, picked up a Crucial 256. I've never used a heat gun before, was wondering how long and how far away I should point at the edges before I start prying it open. How many guitar picks am I gonna need?

4. DoctorBunsenHoneydew

DoctorBunsenHoneydew Scribbler - Standard Member

My condolences.

5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Watching that makes it even scarier...:eek: they REALLY didn't want you to change the SSD!

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  6. JoeS

JoeS New forum: bit.ly/newTPCR Senior Member

Welcome to the forum, and congrats on grabbing your user name. Of course now you may never switch to another tablet. As for the heat gun and picks, if you look at the YouTube video you'll see that they did it very carefully, prying the unit open at various points by small amounts. So maybe one pick, but then a bunch of other things that can keep the screen lifted at various points. Maybe others have more tips on 'how to heat'. And watch out for that touch screen cable!

7. r11

r11 Scribbler - Standard Member

May I suggest feeler gauges ? A set is $4 at Harbor Freight, most of auto stores should have them at comparable prices. Dont forget about Amazon.

The glue should start melting when the temperature gets uncomfortable to the touch. Be careful with heat gun - have it at a low setting, dont over apply, play the heat around. Hot glass doesn't like to be cooled down in a hurry- so dont try to cool it down with wet napkin or whatnot :)

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  8. surface

surface Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah I'm surprised a username like surface hasn't already been grabbed. Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely check out the feeler gauges and probably practice on a broken iPhone screen first. If It seems too intimidating I may just end up selling the ssd

9. xfinrodx

xfinrodx Pen Pal - Newbie

Chalk one success on up. I did it all this afternoon. I used an Intel 525 240 and my biggest problem was that my wonderfully comprehensive TORX set only goes down to T3 and I needed a T2. Quick trip to the industrial supply shop and I was all set. My wife took a bunch of pictures during the goings on; if there's interest I'll do a write up on my experience. I'm writing this from my new 240gb install :). Touch works, pen works, keyboard works... All seems as it should be :)

Thanks for your pictures and sharing, John566. Your account encouraged me to go ahead and try my hand! :thumbsup:

edit: Oh yeah, tip on how to heat and remove the screen: I used a space heater, a pack of 25 guitar picks and over an hour gently pulling and prying. Top first, then sides, just getting a pick wedged in there horizontally. Once you've got a bunch of picks across the top and a couple on the sides, consider stacking a second pick on top of the ones across the top of the tablet. When you start stacking picks across the top evenly, you pretty quick get to a point where you want to use your finger tips gently. Then you just feel it on out carefully!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  10. surface

surface Pen Pal - Newbie

I would love to see the pictures and your experience, but can you take it apart again and make a video instead? haha j/k. I just ordered all the necessary supplies on eBay. Still uncertain if I'll have the guts to do it when all the tools arrive haha. Hearing all these success stories though is definitely inspirational.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.