Anyone try opening up their pro yet?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by notphilip, Feb 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Hmmmmm...now you're talking...2/9/2015 my Microsoft Complete coverage expires, and 480-512gb mSATA should be available...hmmmmm...maybe replacement batteries too...hmmmmm...oh, my head is already hurting at the possibilities...

2. ships10

ships10 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  3. barnesgj

barnesgj Scribbler - Standard Member

Wow! I think you just gained star status. Good job!

4. r11

r11 Scribbler - Standard Member

1 with cajones of marine brass should setup a shop and offer the upgrade to ones with lesser level of testosterone :)
    So you'd ship your prized possession, new drive, $200 in unmarked bills and return postage and wait and pray :)

5. supermaitai

supermaitai Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey Guys,
    I have been actively following and reading this thread. I actually got the screen open with no problem during the 5th page of the thread. I was about to go further and disassemble everything until I realized I needed a Torx #2. Anyways, the tool finally came and I managed to open the system, remove the board and upgraded the surface pro (SP) to 240GB. I can confirm that a Mushkin 240GB works flawlessly. It's also the most affordable 240gb i could find. The whole process, including reinstalling windows only took me about 1 and a half hours, total.

Here are the items I purchased to complete this:
    1. Mushkin Direct Atlas Deluxe 240GB
    2. Torx screw driver set 1-8 (I had a hell of a time trying to find the Torx #2 around the city, ended up just buying from amazon).
    3. Heat Gun to Melt the existing adhesive
    4. Guitar Picks to Pry open the screen
    5. Adhesive to reapply to the screen

Since John & ifixit has already provided info on how to remove the device, I'll provide some extra tips and an easy way to install the OS on the new hard drive.

• Before you do anything, make a recovery USB from your surface pro. Follow this video here:
      Surface Pro how to backup Recovery Partition
    • Once that's down, you then install the new ssd drive, In terms of taking apart the SP, just follow John's method, its super easy. I used a heat gun instead of a space heater he used and I also used guitar picks.
    • Once you get it open, make sure you draw an outline of your surface and diagram where all the screws are, this is helpful for the reassembly.
    • Once you have access to the ssd, just remove it and install the new one.
    • Reassemble everything, but make sure all of the old adhesive is removed before completely installing the screen.
    • put in new adhesive for a clean install then assemble the screen completely, and make sure it's firmly installed, then reheat the areas where you applied the new adhesive.
    • Pop in the Recovery USB you created.
    • Hold down the volume button and power on the SP while the volume button is held down, it will boot from the USB recovery.
    • One it's booted from the recovery, follow this video on how to restore the SP from USB:
      Surface Pro Restore from USB recovery.

And thats all! I'm running a SP with 240GB, here are the screen shots:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If anyone is around the Sacramento, CA Area, I'd happy to do installs for a small fee.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  6. r11

r11 Scribbler - Standard Member

Advertize on your local CL - should be a nice biz on the side - charge $300 for the job, them Valley people are flush wid cash. Any videos of the glass/screen coming off ? I understand there's a ribbon connector of some sort one needs to watch out for ?

Dont fret me breddah, sticky tape come soon !

7. JoeS

JoeS New forum: bit.ly/newTPCR Senior Member

Fantastic contribution. Maybe one thing to add: since the diagram with the screw locations will be the same for all, it could be helpful if someone drew one up and posted back here.

8. supermaitai

supermaitai Pen Pal - Newbie

I just found a video this is helpful, same steps I used. Use the heat gun on the top and the sides, not the bottom, that's where the cables/digitizer contacts are. Open the screen from top like the video.

Surface Pro Disassemble

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  9. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Perfect workbench refreshment!

10. ericshmerick

ericshmerick Scribbler - Standard Member

The only way to get through this project is with beer in hand.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.