Anyone try opening up their pro yet?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by notphilip, Feb 10, 2013.

1. notphilip

notphilip Pen Pal - Newbie

Has anyone tried to disassemble their surface pro and seen whether the ssd is replaceable?

2. rpo

rpo Scribbler - Standard Member

I am supposed to have mine delivered on Tuesday, and taking it apart is the first thing I will do. If nobody else has responded by then, I will report about the mSATA SSD and whether it is soldered or not.

3. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

People will want to know whether replacing the battery, SSD and RAM is possible.

4. zbrush

zbrush Pen Pal - Newbie

i hope ssd can be replaced so i can grab the 64 GB version and upgrade it to 256. Does anyone knows if a bigger ssd is affecting the battery life ?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  5. notphilip

That would be awesome! Thanks

6. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm more concerned with the ram as changing to Vengeance ram WILL afford a nice increase in FPS :). It's 'the' update for anyone that has an Intel HD 4000 gpu.

7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Given the size of these things (since I've been inside my Samsung Series 7 Slate, which is a little roomier than the Surface Pro) I highly doubt system RAM is upgradeable - most likely soldered - but if the part numbers are correct, the SSD should be mSATA, and I know Crucial and others already have 240-256GB mSATA drives. However, until iFixIt does one of its teardowns, I wouldn't go near to my Surface Pro with any tools. Frankly, it looks like one of the toughest opening yet.

Might be better to send Panos Panay the 256GB stick and ask him to slip in the line next time he tweets he's headed to the factory...:D

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  8. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Yea it certainly looks far more locked down than the RT. I don't see any screws visible. I think the only way in is to pry off the screen, but we will see =)

9. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I'd bet iFixIt will do one of its teardowns this week - and I'm willing to bet it ain't going to be pretty - one of those new MacBook Pro type - "nearly un-repairable" type reviews.

10. notphilip

I really hope not, but based on the surface rt teardown, it seems like that will be the case. The way to take it apart involved removing a bezel around the camera that does not exist on the SP. I can't even spot an alternative location for where these screws would be.

11. plebianJay

plebianJay animation monkey

I'm pretty sure that the top panel with the power button is plastic. I would imagine that's the part that would need to be pried off somehow.

12. rogercy

rogercy Pen Pal - Newbie

I've been looking around this thing to figure out where to open it. I only see two ways, (1) the screen or (2) the top part of the tablet where the power button is located. I too am waiting for iFixit to tear this thing apart. I'm anxious to install a 256GB mSata.

13. ghost74

ghost74 Scribbler - Standard Member

Balls the size of church bells :)

14. rpo

I just tried opening it up for the past hour. No luck yet! I will try again later today.

15. vladsg

vladsg Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you very much, my 2 pcs of 64GB are on the way to Helsinki now and I'm really wait some info about tear down and ssd upgrade availability.

Because 64gb is completely nothing for Win8 computer.

THANK YOU

16. notphilip

You're the man! Though this is already a scary sign that it's gonna be really tough to even open the case on this. What have you tried so far?

Also please try to document the attempt process with pics. That will be really helpful when I attempt, and I'm sure a lot of folk would be interested to see the innards.

17. rpo

I do not have time to take pics of my attempts. I am literally working at my desk and pry away while on phone calls. So far, I have tried prying all the way around the entire screen and also the plastic bezel on top where the power button and mic are located. So far, I have not found a hook or latch that would open.

18. rpo

You are welcome. Just so everyone knows, I have the 64GB version as well and was surprised at the amount of free space. I had 31 GB's out of the box and could get more by removing the backup partition. For many people, that is probably enough and another ~64GB's could be added for $50 with the microSD slot. For me, I need 200GB's free. LOL.

Also, I just read elsewhere that MyDigitalDiscount is working on disassembling a Surface Pro today and will post a blog on their site once it is done. I am not sure if they were successful at getting it open yet.

19. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  20. vladsg

vladsg Pen Pal - Newbie

thanks for share, will wait some solutions from all side until I can join their efforts to this issue...