Anyone tried to install win2k3?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by manhattan, Jul 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlackBerry

BlackBerry Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi. I am wondering if anyone has tried to install Win2K3 server on the R1F?

I need Win2K3 on the 2nd partition to install other software that will ONLY run on Win2K3. I have installed Win2K3 and it loads Win2K3 without a problem (BTW it removes the option to boot to VISTA -- but that's a different discussion).

I logged in and loaded drivers for the video card, the ethernet card and the onboard wireless controller/card. I installed the Windows XP ones from the ASUS web site and they install without a problem. If I plug in a LAN line then I get a message saying something like my computer has been connected to the network but it will be unable to connect to the internet (don't have the exact error message with me now). I have a desktop computer that was win2k3 installed on it and there was nothing to do to get an internet connection besides plugging in the LAN line. THUS, it makes me think that it is the drivers that are causing the problem ...

SO, has anybody by chance installed WIN2K3 on the Asus R1F and had success getting either or both of the LAN and Wireless connections working? By the way, I also tried downloading drivers from the Realtek and Intel websites but there were none for WIN2K3 and the XP ones didn't make a difference.

Thanks in advance.

****UPDATE:
    This is the message I get from the network connection icon (wireless or lan) -- interesting thing is that it is allowing me to connect to a wireless network but gives this message:

"Windows cannot renew the IP address from the DHCP server Instead, an automatic private address will be used to connect to computers within the same private network However,
    you will not be able to connect to the Internet through this connection. If this is a problem, please contact your network administrator or ISP."

BB

2. BlackBerry

BlackBerry Pen Pal - Newbie

In case any one cares OR someone in the future has the same problem ... this was the result of my problem.... I gave up trying to install Win2K3 because I could not get a driver for the LAN or wireless cards to work with the OS. I ended up using Virtual PC and the setting to share the base computer's internet connection so I didn't have to worry about drivers. It wasn't what I had wanted to do but VPC works very well and much better than I thought (from horror stories that I have heard in general about VPC).

BB

3. manhattan

manhattan Scribbler - Standard Member

Glad you were able to find a work around. And I appreciate you putting it up for those who may find themselves in a similar situation.

Sharing is caring.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.