Anyone tried the new OneNote yet?

Discussion in 'OneNote, Evernote and Organizers' started by bilzebub, Jan 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. caeci11ius

caeci11ius Moderator Moderator

Just wondering has anyone seen the new OneNote in action yet (I'm particularly interested in how well the "OCR of anything" and audio search featuers work, oh and any improvements to the way handwriting is managed as well)...

2. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I take it you are referring to OneNote 2007 caeci11ius.
    Not personally but I too am very keen to try this myself.

3. CowMix

CowMix Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm using the beta so:
    1. I don't know about the audio because I never tried audio on the old version, also since I don't think my array mics are very good I'm not going to comment (In other words it sounded like crap but i think it was because of my mic).
    2. Handwritting is improved, but it doesn't pick up everything because of my ****ty handwritting (it will sometimes make mistakes as you would expect a beta would, like it reads dashes as periods which I find it quite odd as to why it would think I have a period so far up a line)
    3. NO MORE SELECT BOX!!!! You can now just draw the selection like journal does.
    4. OCR of anything works great
    5. Also I use the new notebook sync feature to sync my notes between my tablet and my computer over my network, and this also seems to work without any flaws

4. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm using ON2007 RTM and I just love this thing. The handwriting recognition is first rate and the new Search product works very, very well. The new organization tabs are nice, I actually FEEL more organized. The save-to-PDF add-in ( for all of office ) is extra nice to send notes to others.

5. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

as far as i recall save to pdf was removed from rtm, after complaints from adobe.
    haven't seen it as an option in rtm either.

ok found it as an add in from the MS office website

6. Tsukiyomi

Tsukiyomi Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm still running B2TR as RTM hasn't been rolled out to me yet, but:

I'm not sure about audio search as well, I just dont have a external mic/sit close enough to get anything while at class.

The OCR anything is pretty good at recognizing things except it tries to OCR while I'm still in class writing and such, which causes my battery to drop like a rock. Maybe this is turned to only come on at idle for the RTM version.

One major difference away from 2003 is that you can have more than one notebook to contain different notes in, IE, you can have a Engineering notebook with its own tabs, pages, and subpages and a different one for Humanities or whatnot. (Most useful if you are a student, but I'm sure that enterprise people have uses for this as well)

To select things in 2007, I just hold down the button on my stylus and draw a lasso box around whatever I want selected.

One thing I don't like about it is its speed, scrolling through many handwritten notes takes a long time to scroll up and down; it moves in jerks instead of smoothly. It also takes a long time to copy and paste something in ink (even though its faster than drawing another of the same thing). One other major annoyance I have is that I still can't make my own pens, you are still restricted to having the 8 pens they give you at the start, even though you can customize them.

7. caeci11ius

caeci11ius Moderator Moderator

This was the case with the old version as well, at least for anything that was printed to OneNote. It's not too bad if you scroll slowly but quick scrolling is kinda jerky. Can you confirm if it's got worse when compared to the old version?

8. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Can't say mine jerks guys.
    Admittedly, if you move the down arrow through long texts with paragraphs and new headings, it will jump rapidly to the next line of text ~ which then gives it the appearance of jerking.

9. Daring

Daring Moderator

I'm not certain, but I think he may be referring to scrolling with the pen using the scroll bar, and yes it is more jerky then 2003. However, I'm still using B2TR so there may be improvements in the final release. Still, it's a must have. The ability to nest tabs and the fact that documents you print to OneNote are now searchable makes this worth the price of admission even if you have do deal with slower scroll.

10. Steveoph

Steveoph Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm also still using B2TR, will switch to full version after I am done exams. Too critical a time now to be playing with software lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.