Anyone suffering from technology lull?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nyb72, Oct 17, 2020.

1. nyb72

nyb72 Scribbler - Standard Member

Over the years, I always felt like I would look forward to some product. Examples like, Vivotab Note 8, Galaxy Note phone, affordable golf launch monitors, media boxes...

But it feels like the last 2 years, there's just been nothing to look forward to. I was moderately interested in the Surface ProX but happy I didn't get one in the end. Folding displays seem too early to adopt. I casually look to the ConceptD laptops but the price turns me away. And speaking of prices, the norm of >$1000 prices have really driven down my enthusiasm for debuts of phones. I haven't felt that same rush of obsessively checking forums like XDA or TPCR to see if a product or preorder page has gone live.

I can't even think of a technology that I wished would come out, aside from perhaps folding displays with EMR... and we know what the pricetags of that will be...

It did make me recall the old HTC Evo phone with the 3D camera, and I think perhaps holographic displays would be cool. But that particular phone feature had poor adoption, it would take someone like Apple to drive interest, if there was any.

Anyone else feeling this way, or anyone looking forward to some particular tech?

2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I sort of feel similar. It may just be 2020 a wonky year, but I’ve felt there has been a lot of devices I’ve been interested in, but there is always some massive downside.

The Asus Zen Pro Duo I was really interested in...but base level MPP pen, and issues with the 2nd screen and uncomfortable keyboard made me lose interest fast.

The Surface Pro X I was interested in.....but WOA is still not suitable for my uses. A Pro X styled Intel based Pro 8 I would be interested in, but Microsoft doesn’t seem to want to give us that.

the Surface Neo I was really interested in....but well that’s vaporware now from the looks of it.

the Surface Duo I was really interested in....but too high a price and too many compromises compared to a regular phone,

the Galaxy Fold 2 I was really interested in...but no Pen support,

the Apple Silicon Macs I am really interested In, but Apple still hasn’t unveiled them yet.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
  3. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Yeah I hear you! A lot of phones and laptops have kind of converged to a similar form factors, and with so many features that it's hard to even come up with something that you'd like added. Microsoft still makes things that entice me, like the surface book (but it needs TB3 and a kickstand), like the Surface Studio (but it needs come down a lot in price), like the Pro X (but I want it Go sized with OLED).

For me recent exciting things have been either along the lines of "wow that's so thin and light" (iPad Air 2, surface book clipboard, Sony DPT-RP1 e-ink reader) or "wow, those blacks are so dark" (Book2 OLED). It seems like with current tech we might not be able to go that much thinner and lighter, so I find myself keeping tech longer.

The one tech thing (but not tablet) that I'd still be excited about is a Windows Mixed Reality headset with Pimax-like wide field of view and AMOLED displays, and a PC with obscenely high-end graphics to go along with that. VR still has plenty of "wow factor" to be experienced, and I can't wait to see the next (non-facebook infested) headsets that will come out.

nnthemperor and dellaster like this.
  4. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Count me as among those with tech ennui. I find myself more interested in refinements in what already works well, at sane prices.
    That might pique my interest. But MS would want to price it $1300+ which would kill any spark of enthusiasm. (That’s what I paid for my new ThinkPad X1 Extreme w/OLED, which is worth that much.)

JoeS likes this.
  5. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

My unicorn is a standard Apple iMac with Pencil support - a 21 inch 5K screen with a highly accurate stylus/digitiser but that's been my forever dream. Apple have all the pieces in position but insist on keeping the iPad as the only true touch centric device.
    Incidentally such a move would absolutely force Adobe to bring its creative suite up to date with touch and a more user friendly interface.

Other than that, yeah - jaded. The Acer ConceptD pro models are just stupidly priced for what they offer and most refreshes if offered at all seem to offer less rather than more this year. Apple's latest iPad 8 is "Meh!" when compared to the progress Samsung are making with the S6+ and S7 and when you realise Samsung won't support their models beyond 3 years - even they don't appeal.
    The only thing that's piqued my interest is the small number of EMR equipped chromebooks in the last year - some of which, people have found ways to install full Windows onto but this year's models all went a step back with AES.

A year to forget in lots of ways.

darkmagistric and JoeS like this.
  6. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

One thing I've been pondering in relation to this....although the first Arm Macbooks are rumored to be essentially the 12-inch Macbook with an iPad Pro stuffed in (like the developer kits) Having owned the iPad Pro 12.9 and Magic Keyboard for a few weeks now, I can't help but wonder if the eventual Apple Silicon iMac replacement might end up just being an oversized iPad Pro with Magic Keyboard running arm based Mac OS.

The Magic Keyboard I'm finding is perfect for stationary desk use...but everything else its pretty horrible with. You have to remove the iPad to draw with it...and using it on uneven surfaces like a couch or bed, its lack of flexibility makes it awkward to type on at times. But the Magic keyboard itself does feel more like a docking solution...or at least the predecessor to one.

Like....a 17, 19, or 21 inch Ipad Pro, but with a built in Magic Keyboard that you can't separate. but it has an extra angle or two, at least one of which for drawing/studio mode (like the Surface Studio). Throw on a few thunderbolt 3 ports either into the Tablet/Display side itself, or maybe the on the hinge mechanism, and Apple could more or less call it a day at that point.

doobiedoobiedum likes this.
  7. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

First world problems in here! :p

Honestly, with the release of the Tab S7+ and the Acer Concept D7 ezel this year is probably the best unicorn year of my entire life.

I hope to acquire both those unicorns of different breeds eventually, even if the concept D is a relic by the time I can afford to get it.

I feel spoiled by 2020 in tech and ravaged by 2020 in nearly every other way. Except we just bought our first home at the lowest interest rate seen in decades, so I guess that balances things out. :rolleyes:

nyb72 likes this.
  8. jedah

jedah Pen Pal - Newbie

This kinda sums up what I've been feeling. There is usually just one or two features missing from a potential unicorn for me.

AMD's Renoir chips have been impressive, but I've been a bit underwhelmed by the laptops that have them. All the nicer designs still rock Intel, esp the devices w/ taller aspect ratios.

Only a small selection of thin/light devices come w/ a good pen for drawing. I kinda want to see if another Galaxy Flex 15 w/ Tiger Lake or a Surface Pro w/ Thunderbolt 3/4 comes out. Surface Pro 7/X MPP barely makes the cut for me. I've been less impressed w/ other implementations of MPP. This is assuming Tiger Lake turns out as good as Intel claims vs AMD (which I'm skeptical of).

I also still have an iPad Pro 2017. So the X1 Nano is also on my radar as I'm beginning to feel I should just rock a laptop and iPad (when I need to draw) instead of waiting for a convertible that can do everything. Of course, this sentences me to paying for a CSP subscription in perpetuity.

Since I've been unimpressed by AMD laptop offerings and b/c I just had a kid and am thinking I'd like to build something w/ him in the future, I've been thinking of learning how to build a PC for myself using a Zen 2 or 3 chip. If I do this, then my performance needs from a portable solution may not be as strict.

9. nyb72

I like your spirit! Yes, it is definitely first world problems when all I can complain about technology-wise is due to design evolution rather than revolution.

In retrospect, I'll say that I feel totally different when it comes to software. There's some really interesting artistic packages out there when it comes to motion capture, animation, modeling, and painting. Just spending the time to learn them all makes me forget about hardware choices (assuming of course your CPU/GPU is powerful enough).

10. nyb72

Ok, if Samsung comes out with a folding phone with S-pen, I might be hitting F5 repeatedly to get pre-order and shipping status updates

darkmagistric and JoeS like this.