Anyone successfully open their SP3?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by davey, Jul 3, 2014.

1. davey

davey Pen Pal - Newbie

I may suck it up and try it once i get my SP3. I am wondering if the following might be a practical idea (and I understand I deserve any damage which may occur).

Suction cup the screen with a 5" strong cup. Secure the tablet to a flat surface. Rig a constant upward force on the suctioned on the screen of about a lb or two (or more depending on results, but safe > sorry) with a limitation of about 1cm of movement in the event the screen comes free suddenly. Apply heat evenly (and slowly) around the bezel gradually increasing the temperature until 1cm separation is achieved.

I appreciate any criticism.

2. be77solo

be77solo Scribbler - Standard Member

I'd have a spare screen assembly on hand... and whatever you do, film it for us :D

JoeS and demandarin like this.
  3. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I would read the failed teardown at iFixit carefully. They cracked the screen and stated:

So keep that in mind, including the all-important word 'probably'.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

And remember, big boys DO CRY - so Davey be sure to get that on film as well while performing this lobotomy...

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  5. davey

davey Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes, I will film it. I'm getting the i3 version which is still a month out. My strategy will be to avoid any unnecessary prying on the edge of the glass. I'm more worried about warping and getting it back together perfectly than the glass shattering. What's nice is an SSD replacement does not warrant disconnecting the display completely

6. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

From what you say here I'm getting the uneasy feeling that you didn't read the ifixit comment carefully. Their display panel cracked while they were not doing anything to it. It was just sitting there cooling, and it cracked. So "good luck" and "omg I can't believe you're doing this".

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  7. davey

davey Pen Pal - Newbie

thanks for pointing that out. I intend to research the matter thoroughly before doing anything. I will most likely be using a heat lamp as opposed to a 'gun'.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  8. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Davey - please reconsider just getting the i5 with 128GB to begin with...

9. JimB

JimB Scribbler - Standard Member

Would be nice if you could somehow cut a door out of the back where the msata mounts. If only MS had put it on the back side of the motherboard.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
  10. davey

davey Pen Pal - Newbie

128GB is not enough for me unless I put my dropbox on external storage, but that seems a bit scarier. 256GB would be I think, but I'm looking at purchasing a 512GB or 1TB msata. I wont be hasty with it and wont blame anyone but myself should things go sideways.

Its too bad MS wont let us configure our own