Anyone successfully open their SP3?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by davey, Jul 3, 2014.

1. davey

davey Pen Pal - Newbie

There's two videos on the internet of "experts" destroying the tablet's LCD when attempting to open it.

Cnet:
    [video]http://www.cnet.com/videos/share/id/2QAL5glkEx4BMGF72ZukyCqcs7DJrDuT/[/video]

iFixit:
    [video=youtube;MBAERP1Nm1I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBAERP1Nm1I[/video]

If anyone has been successful, I'd like to hear more!

Thanks
    David

be77solo likes this.
  2. r11

r11 Scribbler - Standard Member

aint no point anymore IMO ... order the proper side SSD to start with - that was the only legit reason to do it with SP1. If one is seriously low on space, get a 128GB microSD for movies, docs etc.

Unlike the st00p1ds @ google, MS is nice enough to not only still support removable media, but it actually facilitates it with a handy option of changing to RM as your default for some file types.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
  3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

r11's advice is GOLD - anyone trying to pry open this system deserves the destruction they cause...

Ed Hardy likes this.
  4. davey

davey Pen Pal - Newbie

I think this is terrible. So say 366 days after owning the tablet, the SSD dies. Is a $2000 tablet now a pretty piece of garbage?

5. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

This is how the industry achieved thinner profiles, if the device is user serviceable it requires additional safeguards with the battery according to US Consumer Safety Regulations, so by making it a sealed unit they can avoid those additional regulations allowing for the thinner design.

If your scenario happens you would need to pay for the repair or risk the shattered screen and replace yourself. iFixit sells everything to take it apart but I wouldn't want to do it personally...

GoodBytes likes this.
  6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

No - your options include Microsoft Complete (2 years); buying with a warranty extension card (some MC, VISA, AMEX) or pay to fix it. Your choice would be no different with an iPad. If this problem will keep you up at night, go with a laptop like the ThinkPad Yoga which is user serviceable (see Lisa Gate's smacksown over at Mobile Tech Review comparing SPro 3 and TPY).

Seriously, no modern tablet or true ultrabook is truly user serviceable; just a fact of life.

7. rwerksman

rwerksman Scribbler - Standard Member

How is this different than any other tablet, or frankly, anything these days? Unless you really know what you're doing, can you fix an iPad if that flash storage goes kaput? How about a fridge if the main logic board goes belly up? What about a car if something happens to the electrical system? I guess you could try to wing it, but chances are if you're buying a $1000 tablet or the $50000 car, or the $3000 fridge, you're probably going to call a professional to fix it.

Congrats on the troll however because, lets be real, the $2000 tablets aren't available yet.

8. davey

davey Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm not a troll, get your head out of your rear end. Being able to open a computer is a major concern of many buyers.

Microsoft could have kept the same aesthetic while making the device user serviceable. Samsung makes the thinnest phones and tablets available, and they are easily taken apart with a simple screw driver with almost zero risk to the device itself.

If you think a display shattering with minimal force applied was not done on purpose than you are blind. It is unlikely a professional will touch these things. Also a refrigerator or vehicle won't self destruct when you want to replace most parts; professionals are also used for convenience not only because something cannot be done without them.

edaniels likes this.
  9. davey

davey Pen Pal - Newbie

And the main reason I am interested is to install my own SSD in an i3 version of the surface pro 3. I would rather purchase a 512GB SSD for $250 than pay a $1000-1200 premium just to get a config with that capacity. I'm sure I'm not the only one wishing this were easily possible.

10. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

OK People lets keep it civil and constructive....

demandarin likes this.